Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football likely favored throughout regular season, secondary has time to grow

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited March 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football likely favored throughout regular season, secondary has time to grow

ATHENS — The lines aren’t out for the season, but it seems a good bet Georgia football will be favored in every regular-season game. There has been some projections of a 10.5-game over/under for the Bulldogs regular-season win total.  A way-to-early prediction on UGA would be to take the "over." On The Beat The

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OddsShark shows a 41-31 Clemson win, but I'd say it's pretty meaningless as all pre-season predictions are. Countless times they'll predict a team will be Top 10 or even Top 5 and wind up unranked at the end of the season.

The Spring Games should show us a lot and I'll have to check out Clemson's as well. DJ on their side certainly proved to have a lot of potential, but you still can't discount the loss of Lawrence at QB. They've also lost their top RB (technically Top 2 if you include Lawrence) as well as their Top 2 WRs (technically Top 3 if you include their RB who received yards).

We'll see. Can't wait for the Spring Games!

• dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

All due respect, Auburn isn't challenging our secondary. They have Bo Nix at QB.

• rhclaghornrhclaghorn Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

The Dawgs can't afford a blow-out loss to Clemson in week 1, so that secondary is going to have to grow up real quick. The rest of the schedule is filled with 1st year coaches (Auburn, Vandy, Tenn) and teams that may be down a bit from last year (Florida). Winning those games does little to bolster Georgia's resume towards what we hope is a CFP berth this season. Lose to Clemson, and the SEC championship game becomes a must-win, which has been a tall order for the Dawgs in recent years.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2021

You imply that a 12-1 UGA team that didn't win the SEC would be put in the playoff. I'm going to have to see that to believe it. Anyway, I don't know how "tall an order" winning it would necessarily be. 2019 obviously didn't go well, having to go against what was pretty much one of the strongest teams in the history of the sport (or in this century at least) with an offense (UGA's) that was light years behind what we should see in 2021. The year before that was a last minute loss. The year before that, we won it. Granting the premise that the results from 2 years ago and beyond should inform our expectations for 2021 (which I don't agree with), I'm still not seeing much reason for pessimism.

But yes, a blowout loss certainly would be detrimental to the season.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree 100% Mike and have been saying this exact same thing for months now.

Clemson may indeed beat us, but on paper we actually line up as well as any team out there against the Tigers. So, in my eyes it's a toss up. In fact, Daniels has more game experience than DJ. Clemson's defense will be their greatest asset, so Daniels will be tested from the first snap. Expect constant pressure on him and tight coverage on our receivers. We'll need to get the ball around to all the playmakers.

But even if we lose to Clemson the rest of the season gives the secondary plenty of time to hone their skills and develop before the SEC Championship game - a win - and on to the playoffs. Easy peasy. If we win the SEC Championship then the biggest threat to us making the playoffs might end up being Oklahoma if they run the table and win the Big 12. They should be their best in years and could kick us out of the playoffs unless we go undefeated.

A lot of speculation here obviously, but that's how things MIGHT play out IMHO.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2021

I just do not see how the East is lost. Even a loss to UF would not prevent being in the SECCG. UF will probably lose to both Bama and LSU.

A loss to Clemson combined with a regular season loss would be a knockout blow for the playoffs, even if the SECCG was won.

No two loss team has made the playoffs.