Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Reports: NCAA to allow transfers immediate eligibility in football, basketball and baseball

SystemSystem Posts: 10,477 admin
edited April 2021 in Article commenting
imageReports: NCAA to allow transfers immediate eligibility in football, basketball and baseball

The NCAA Division I Council voted on Wednesday to allow for football and basketball players to have a one-time transfer before graduating without having to sit out a season, per the Associated Press. The AP and the Athletic have cited multiple sources with direct knowledge of the council’s actions on Wednesday as

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The flood gates will open for sure now.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know, these passes were already being handed out. At least now the blatant favoritism goes away.

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

i think making the first transfer easy is not a bad thing, especially for a freshman. Things may just not work out for the student, school, coach, any number of things. A subsequent transfer, however, should be much more stringent when it comes to the waiver.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sigh. That being said, ANYTHING is better than the BS crap that NCAA has done in recent years allowing **** to transfer to Ohio State and prevent others to move closer to home without a penalty. Glad to hear that Tom Mars won't be allowed to charge ungodly amounts to represent KIDS in a secretive BS setting.

I still believe that all of this could've been solved with simply a notarized form where the player states that the Primary reason they are transferring because they want to move closer to family. That should grant immediate eligibility. If a player signs that and wants to claim under-oath that it's the reason, I'm fine with that. As an alternative, offer a STUDENT BASED review board for any other reason. Lawyers should be not allowed (because, you know, god forbid a player gets paid for anything... but I guess them paying ungodly amounts for lawyers is okay).

But again, this at least removes the power from the corrupt NCAA. It just means that "commits" and "signing day" doesn't really mean much if there are no restrictions. What exactly are they signing if they can transfer the next day?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Some times they go away, sometimes they don't go away."

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A verbal "commitment" hasn't necessarily meant anything for decades. I don't see how that part of the process will be affected by this edict. And I think the significance of the player putting pen to paper for a school will largely remain intact as well. The revolving door era had already begun a few years ago; again, I don't see that fundamentally changing because of this rule other than that it does away with the insufferable favoritism that we all witnessed. The signed LOI still gives that school a big advantage in grooming the player and keeping him in the fold.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JMO but I think it would take a lot of disappointment to up and leave a a school. Most players come in and bond and feel part of a family. A hotshot player may not like getting beat out or feels like he didn't get beat out but for whatever reason(coaches decision) he's not going to start anytime soon. In cases where the player just never fits in or coaches decide to go a different direction then why not allow them to and move on and get an opportunity elsewhere.?

I think what this does is places a greater burden on the coaching staff to properly assess what you have in players where you may not carry a lot of depth in a certain position, say at QB. Better make the right choice as to not get egg on your face when the guy you wouldn't start goes elsewhere and balls out. What does it really matter for position groups where, say at linebacker, you are 4 deep? Matters some, but not anything to lose sleep over if the 3rd or 4th string guy moves on. We had some guys move on(most of those who transferred) who were never going to see playing time.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wild, Wild, West

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

The transfer portal allows programs to correct their mistakes in evaluation, recruitment, and development. It surely have been good to Smart. Think what this upcoming season would look like if he did not have Daniels. I don’t think anyone would be talking NC.