Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National media praises JT Daniels, still skeptical of Georgia football after spring game

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited April 2021 in Article commenting
imageNational media praises JT Daniels, still skeptical of Georgia football after spring game

Even while missing a number of top receivers and playing behind a reshuffled offensive line, Georgia quarterback JT Daniels still managed to impress not just Georgia fans but many in the national media. Daniels threw for 324 yards and three touchdowns while playing mistake-free football on the afternoon. And he did

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Dawgbreath40Dawgbreath40 Posts: 54 ✭ Freshman

Yup!

It is LONG since time for Coach Smart to put up or shut up.

CFB is not rocket science.

Get it done, Coach.

Go Dawgs.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

I have to agree somewhat with Finebaum and Pate...bad luck with injuries, bad timing, Fromm leaving ill-advised, whatever....call it what you want. Kirby needs to show he can field a winning team that can consistently get to the playoffs without giving up excuses.

Youth and inexperience is no longer an excuse Dawgs when you keep recruiting the best classes in the country and programs like Bama and Clemson simply reload every year and do it all over again. And Bama plays in a much tougher SEC West Division than the weak East.

So figure it out Kirby. That's your job. Get us to the promised land and don't anyone offer excuses like "we can't get to the SEC Championship or playoffs without a guy like Pickens"...."our DBs are too inexperienced'..."our OL is a work in progress"...

GET 'ER DONE...simple as that.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2021

Let me finish what Cubelic should have said. JT Daniels was the Gatorade National Player of the Year in ALL sports (not just football) and won the award his “junior” year in HS beating out two “seniors” named Fields and Lawrence....no joke. Go Dawgs and Go JT!!!

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If we beat Clemson, we will be in the playoffs, regardless of what we do against Bama. However, big however, if we lose against Clemson, I guarantee CKS will have sleepless nights wondering if he shouldn't have pushed to get Clemson on the schedule this season!

Get it done in 21!!!

• Options
    RedUga4EverRedUga4Ever Posts: 28 ✭ Freshman

I have to agree with MontanaDawg. The could'a,should'a, would'a has get cured.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby trotted the same team out on the field Sat for G-Day that we have seen for the past 20 years. Different year, same old questions. Half the positions are strength & half are filled with holes & questions. Why? It's all about retention & recruiting. Having a top 3 recruiting class every year based on stars means nothing if you don't recruit the best at EVERY position annually & retain players. It's why Bama & Clemson have made the CFP a private party for the most part.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I understand why dawg fans are tremulous. Year after year of having a great team that just barely manages to finish out of the running. Remember Spurrier's comment about Goff? And all those Richt years (2002! 2007, 2012, etc) when UGa lost focus for just a moment. We want to believe. We do...

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To me, it's pretty simple. JT has proven he can hit whatever targets he wants... but he NEEDS protection and needs an elite receiver core.

Alabama ALWAYS has the guys that can catch and has the O-line to protect and that's why their QBs often look better than they really are. We always seem to have the reverse. Endless depth at QB (when you literally CAN have too many good ones) while receivers that can't seem to catch the passes. Remember last year when it took 3 tries for JT to get it in the endzone deep... the passes were all there.

I suspect that Daniels has a very strong future in the NFL, but for us to go all the way, he needs the guys to make those catches and needs the protection.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is some truth to these other teams getting the best players at their positions and UGA doesn't. For all it's good recruiting there always seems to be a hole here or there that didn't get filled.

One year we don't have the receivers, the next year it's the pass rushing, the next year it's the QB. Anyone think we don't give FLA and BAMA a much better game with a healthy JT last year? Not sure we'd beaten BAMA but we could have boat raced with FLA better.

How did we not stop the wheel route? Oh well I digress.

I think we're learning that the SEC has become a QB-receiver league. You'd better have some good ones, as in 1st rounders or second at the least.

Clemson, BAMA, Ohio St. and Oklahoma in the past few drafts have all had 1st round QB's taken, in multiple years. UGA not so much. Watson-Lawrence, Tua/Jones; Mayfield/Murray/Hurts; Haskins/Fields and let's not forget what Joe Burrow did for LSU.

I'm not going to go back and research it, but I believe all of these QB's had either 1st or 2nd round receivers to throw to, some had more than one.