Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What the 2021 NFL Draft first round taught us about Georgia football

2»

Comments

• Options
    how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Win a Natty and the first round picks will come. Just that simple Bama this year and LSU the year before.. seeing a player on that stage hoisting the Natty can make a difference.And as far as players staying if I remember correctly Chubb and Micheal came back for their senior years.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with the idea that staying can work in a player's interests. They all want to get that million dollar check written, and I'm sure we are all rooting for them to get it, too, but patience and hard work might be the best way to get it. The better the team is perceived, the better the individuals are perceived. That can affect draft positions--not always, but probably most of the time. Alabama has obviously sold their guys on the benefits (to the players) of staying for your senior year. You get a year stronger, bigger, more mature, and most importantly, you get your best year to shine for the scouts. I think we will do well this year because of the players who are returning--Davis, Wyatt, Daniels, White, Cook, Salyer, etc. Stokes made the decision to come back last year and it obviously paid off for him. It's a really tough call because there are risks either way.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

If and this is a big IF, players who declare for the draft look at it as business decision then in some cases it makes sense to return for another year. If you look at the Bama players who returned for another year and were drafted in the first round, it would seem they all made the right decision. Harris and Leatherwood went from the second round to the first. The same holds true for Smith. Jones probably went from an undrafted free agent to a first round pick. Waddle was a junior and it made no sense for him to return.

These player decisions to a great degree based on honest evaluations, and trust in the person who is advising them and to a degree the maturity of the player. It would seem on the surface that Saban is better at this than Kirby.

What is equally interesting is how so many posters seem to disagree with Kirby on the importance of the draft. Kirby indicates it is critical to the recruiting effort. He down plays the other things that we sometimes consider like NC, facilities, academics, etc. If you stop and consider that the players being recruited by the major football programs all are looking at the end goal of getting to the league then what Kirby is saying is correct. I think you will see more and more of this going forward. From a player’s perspective it is who can do the best job of preparing me for the future.

What we do know about recruiting is the intangibles are very important but do not seem to be taken into consideration in awarding a player a particular star rating. You have 3 and 4 stars who have strong work ethics and become first round draft picks. You also have 5 stars who never quite live up to expectations and end up being a late round pick or not drafted at all. This had to be part of the evaluation process.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some folks can't put 2 + 2 together and get 4.

Simple fact is if we(UGA) recruits just as well as BAMA and yet it seems that in the last few years BAMA has had almost 4 times the 1st round draft picks that UGA has had, if so, then a fair question is why? It's not preposterous. A thinking person might like to know why. Is it coaching? Not saying it is, but certainly worth considering.

One year of NFL 1st round draft picks doesn't tell a story, but 21-6 Saban over Kirby the past several years looks a little skewered in one direction. If it's not a big deal to you OK, but don't chastise others for pondering the difference .

If we had recruited below BAMA over those same years then of course one would expect a sharp contrast, however that's not the case, we are second to BAMA during this time period, only barely.

I for one am not "freaking out" but I am inquisitive enough to ponder why?

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

You raise an interesting question. I tend to look at who both UGA and UA are recruiting. Sometimes but less than many would think they are recruiting different players, in other words UGA will target someone and UA will not target that player or go all out to sign him. Two players I am following are Webb and Dalcourt for Bama. Webb was a 5 star center that we were thrilled to sign from AL. While Bama offered, they did not push very hard and in fact Saban never scheduled an in home visit. It seemed Saban felt Dalcourt, while a 4 star, was a better fit at Bama than Webb. It will be interesting to see how their respective careers progress. This may be a case of intangibles.

You imply and I tend to agree that something is missing or is just not right. All I can think of is the culture and getting players to buy in. One thing is the more successful a program is by whatever metric one chooses to measure the easier it is getting players to buy in to the culture that has been established. Some of this might be that Kirby is still trying to establish his culture as well as his coaching identity.

What I find a bit amazing is how this continues year after year at UA even with a constant turnover in coaches. One can only hope that with each coming year UGA narrows the gap till there is no gap.

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I didn't read this whole thread and I apologize if this has already been stated but last night's draft was very heavy offense. Alabama's draftees were offensive guys. Most of the night were offensive guys. The majority of our offense has come back for their senior year this year and UGA is very heavy defense in this draft. So, if taken in that context this whole freaking out about only 1 player being drafted in the first round doesn't make much sense.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

...anyone wanna look at the Rounds 1-3 snapshot and overreact? Either direction, just pick a side and go. It’s irrational, but entertaining...

So, continue...