Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dick Vitale: NCAA transfer rule triggers ‘cheating behind the scenes ... wheeling and dealing’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,443 admin
edited May 2021 in Article commenting
imageDick Vitale: NCAA transfer rule triggers ‘cheating behind the scenes ... wheeling and dealing’

ESPN's Dick Vitale takes NCAA to task for one-time transfer rule.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    edubbedubb Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior

I do not like listening to Vitale but for once he is absolutely correct! Pro sports **** from the top to the bottom and they have almost if not already destroyed college sports.

• Options
    edubbedubb Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

Under the lie of doing what is best for the players, the portal is the NCAA's poorly conceived effort to force parity in a top heavy game. They are using player impatience as a tool in breaking up the monopolies that teams like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc... have become. In the end, it will be players that lose as scholarships are lost, kids end up at weaker programs and careers are cut short. Worse yet, players who transfer as undergrads typically never earn their degrees.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Vitale gets it perfectly. I still don't see why sitting out a year of competition while you get free tuition, meal plan, housing, medical care. work out facilities, training table, tutors, education, improving your skill level and maturity, etc etc etc is undesirable? "Sitting out" is ONLY not competing for a season. A student athlete STILL gets all the perks. They have created a huge mess with this. The have's will be cherry picking the better players off the have nots. I hope the SEC wises up to this and maintains there 1 yr competition sit out. This will keep SEC teams from poaching from each other at least.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“What is wrong with a kid learning in life you don’t just get up and leave every situation?” Vitale said. “Life is, you get a job, you’ve got to battle through it, there are tough times.

“You’re teaching the kids the wrong values. What about loyalty? Does loyalty enter the picture? Dedication? That doesn’t mean anything?”

Amen, Mr Vitale. NCAA has blown it this time.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I couldn't agree more @UGADad20. I've long said that the rule should be that EVERYONE sits out a year when they transfer unless they have already graduated from their old school or that school suddenly drops its program, like UAB a few years ago. No exceptions for not playing as much as you thought you would; to be near an ailing relative or because you're homesick; because the environment at the old school was negative; or because the old coach left. You're right, sitting out a year means you're getting everything any other scholarship athlete gets EXCEPT getting on the filed or the court. If the NCAA had done that instead of making all of these backroom, clandestine transfer exceptions for certain players and schools and not for others, they wouldn't have this mess on their hands.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2021

I agree with most of the commenters below.

The NCAA has taken this transfer portal thing too far. And yes, it is ripe for abuse - especially within conferences, because my guess is the SEC will vote to allow players to be eligible to play immediately just like several other Power 5 conferences have done. And if their purpose is to try and create more parity in the teams, I think it will backfire. In fact, if I was a 3,4, or 5 star player sitting on the sidelines or having minimal playing time then I'd want to transfer to an equal or most likely better program (and one that makes or has a better potential to make the playoffs) - not to a lesser football program. Over the next few years this could create an even BIGGER gap between the haves and have nots - the winning programs and the 2nd and 3rd tier schools - when you have guys transferring between schools in the same conference and playing immediately. Then you've got a REAL problem. The playoffs are already becoming silly and boring with 80%+ of the same teams in the playoffs every year.