Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Former Georgia star Sahvir Wheeler chooses to join Kentucky basketball team

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2021 in Article commenting
imageFormer Georgia star Sahvir Wheeler chooses to join Kentucky basketball team

ATHENS — Sahvir Wheeler has chosen to follow in the footsteps of basketball greats at traditional powerhouse Kentucky after leading Georgia to a 14-12 record (7-11 SEC) and setting a single-season program record for assists.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good luck Sahvir, maybe you will find what you are looking for at UK. As for your time as a Dawg, you drew tough duty. When the team needs a 5'8" point guard to be the leader in tough SEC play, he isn't going to be able to take you very far unless he is shooting lights out, which Savhir rarely did.

Everyone always talks about him being a "wizard" handling the ball, but how many times did he dribble himself into trouble and turn the ball over? Plenty. Also, he had trouble finishing at the rim because he can't dunk. I remember many a shot bouncing around the rim and off. With as many short shots as he took, he should have been 45%+ for field goal percentage, not 39%. Many nights, 2 or 3 more made shots from Savhir would have done a world of good. Crean can't shoot it for them and he can't coach them to be tall. He is going to have to recruit that.

Maybe now Savhir can come off the bench and be a change-of-pace guy to play 15-20 minutes a night. He might be able to make a big contribution that way. Over the course of 40 minutes though, he is never going to be the answer.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok, I don’t want to hear any more junk about being isolated and too far away from home. Please. Most of us weren’t born yesterday.

• WR_Dawgs_Fan88WR_Dawgs_Fan88 Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

Certainly wish the kid the best, he definitely has some maturing to do on the court, but UGA just didn't have enough shooters for him to truly thrive.

Wheeler is the type of PG that needs to be surrounded with great shooters to provide spacing and open up the lanes. Unless he really improves his shot, he will continue to be inconsistent and pretty limited as a player. Again, until then, he will have to rely on his teammates' shooting in order to really fulfill his potential offensively..

Coach K can set him up for success, but like Crean he can't make shots for his players..

• zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sahvir Wheeler may have been a great passer, but he was a horrible shooter. IMO he played out of control and turned the ball over way too much. For every shot he made, he missed a dozen and/or turned the ball over to the other team. This isn't much of a loss. He drives to the basket like a madman -- easy to draw a charge for anyone who studies his game. He is fearless though I'll give him that.

• brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 320 ✭✭✭ Junior

Isolated??? Here we go 😒

• okcdawgokcdawg Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

The transfer portal is creating chaos but maybe we should view it as an opportunity for the program. An opportunity to move on from players who maybe shouldn't have been here in the first place: A 5'8 pt. guard and numerous non-shooters. Also an opportunity to recruit shooters and others from a larger pool of experienced players. I like "old-school" basketball as much as anyone but we've all seen where the game is headed the past 5 years: shoot the 3 and defend the 3. Those are the types of players we have to be pursuing. As to coaching, the methods of assessment might change. Figuring out & winning the off-season portal becomes more important than X's & O's and high school recruiting.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not here to knock Wheeler, per se. He played hard for UGA and it's not his fault that he's only 5' 8". Considering that, and the team he played on without Anthony Edwards, he did well. I wish him well at UK (does the SEC transfer rule not apply to basketball players), although I do agree with the sentiment of some that question his father's comments that Sahvir felt "isolated" at Georgia. If a Black kid from Houston, TX feels isolated in Athens, Ga., he's going to feel absolutely marooned in Lexington, KY. But, as we've come to find out, it's NEVER about wanting to be closer to home, or "the academics" or anything else except "can I make it to the show?"

Speaking of show, though, it is time for Tom Crean to "show" us something. I mean so far, he's just been mediocre, which is what Fox was before him. I didn't expect Anthony Edwards to stay at UGA for more than a year, but I thought that he would serve as a launching pad to get other extremely talented players to Athens. Alas, just the opposite has happened with kids transferring out left and right. So I don't know what Crean can or will do to turn things around, but he really needs to. The University of Georgia should be consistently good in EVERY sport, maybe great in a couple. Football, men and women's track, women's tennis and the equestrian teams (yes, they deserve a shout out) are doing their parts. The rest of the programs -- and their coaches -- need to pick up the pace. Go Dawgs!