Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

College Football Playoff working group recommends expanding to 12 teams

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2021 in Article commenting
imageCollege Football Playoff working group recommends expanding to 12 teams

The College Football Playoff took a big step towards expansion on Thursday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

Excited about the possibilities! However, I think 8-teams in the right number if you are trying to crown the BEST team. A 3-loss FL team would have made it in 2020 along with a 3-loss Iowa State team under the 12-team proposed format.

We'll have to wait and see how all this shakes out...

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

Yep. It's troubling that they're jumping multiple increments like that. I would argue (as I have previously on multiple occasions) that even the 8-team playoff introduces the very real possibility of crowning a team that at no point throughout the season looked like they could be the best in the country, and got "hot" at the right time. This brings me to the line from the article that stood out the most to me: "After reviewing numerous options, we believe this proposal is the best option to ...enhance the regular season...” Come again? How exactly is ensuring that every win and loss matters less going to ENHANCE the regular season?

Another point that struck me is the use of home fields in the first round. With the bloated bowl season struggling to retain intrigue and credibility, it seems like a big missed opportunity not to make as many bowls as possible part of the playoff. I mean, hasn't that been one of the major arguments in favor of expanding the playoff to begin with? I get that there are only so many bowl games now that aren't straight-up named after a corporation, and they might not want the Lame Corporate Bowl sullying the prestige of the pursuit of a championship. But this would be a great opportunity for them to reset. Come up with a few new ones if you have to! But no, apparently they're not going to even try.

I feel like I'm starting to ramble here. I've understood for a while now that this was always inevitable, and will make an effort to embrace it because I still love the sport (particularly the Dawgs) enough not to give it up. I still think it's a bad idea overall, but at least there will be more interesting post-season games to watch. That's not nothing, I guess.

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So much for worrying about the wear and tear on the student athletes. They are possibly adding 4 additional games for some teams. At best, expand to 6 teams (with two byes) or 8 teams.

edited June 2021

Understand what you are saying. I do think any team that becomes "hot" at the right time either will be flushed out during the quarter or semi finals OR deserves the spot if they actually manage to make it to the finals. We've seen it happen time and again during the regular season with recent "hot" teams like Iowa State, Indiana, and Minnesota going down against superior opponents as examples.

I agree with you completely about the use of bowls for the additional games in order to make them more significant. My guess is that they decided against that due to all the additional traveling expenses, etc. for BOTH teams. But, if it's not that then I'm scratching my head on why not use the bowls for all the playoff games.

I do think the current format needs an expansion of some sort, but throwing 12 teams in the mix definitely has a better chance for undesirable re-matches (not interested) and a watered down regular season for certain teams.

FCS and Div-II football already have at least 10 team playoffs (if not more), and they have a similar number of regular season games. I don't think it is an issue and simply another reason to have a deep field of talented backups.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“But it’s important that we consider the opportunity for more teams and more student-athletes to participate in the playoff." From 4 to 12 teams will certainly accomplish this...but will include a lot of 3-loss teams. I guess we will have to wait to see what shakes out with the Board of Governors in a couple weeks. I prefer 6 or 8 teams, plus bowl games.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

An 8 team field would have killed us last year since we were #9, but Cincinnati would have gotten in because they were #8 before we faced them in the Peach Bowl. Go Dawgs!!!

• AirmanEAirmanE Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

I just don’t understand the argument for expansion. They’ve played twelve playoff semifinals only three were single digit ball games. There’s literally been two shutouts both 38-0. If we can’t make four teams competitive why would you expand it.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just skipping right over 8 huh? 12 seems a little to easy.

• DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is an effort to appease the Group of 5 Conference Champions and the Power 5 Conference Runner-ups. Going with 8 teams would (most of the time) leave Group of 5 Conference Champions out. Cincinnati in 2020, UCF in 2017 and Houston in 2015 being the lone exceptions.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, some have argued that expansion will lead to better matchups, which seems plainly backwards.

• street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

16 teams is the way to go. The top 2 teams from each P5 conference, 3 playoff slots for G5 conference teams and then 3 at-large teams selected by the CFP Committee. Replace the Conference Championship games with 1st round CFP match-ups with P5 #1's hosting another P5 conferences #2, and then the G5 champions hosting an at-large team selected by the CFP Committee. 1st round losers would still be Bowl eligible just as Conference Championship losers are under the current system. Second round games could be done at locations where early bowl games are currently in a similar rotation as the current CFP does with the premier bowls for the semi-finals and finals. After the 2nd round games the existing CFP structure would simply continue and the end result would be 1 additional game for only 4 teams over the current schedule.