Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Winners and losers from proposed College Football Playoff expansion

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited June 2021 in Article commenting
imageWinners and losers from proposed College Football Playoff expansion

College football seems poised to go to a 12-team playoff model.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems to make sense, so I'm guessing that it won't see the light of day. I would be interested to see someone take the final rankings from each year and see what the matchups would've been.

It seems to be the best compromise to make the conference championships means SOMETHING. A Typical #1 Bama could lose in the SEC Championship game and still be ranked #3 or #4 and make the game kinda pointless. BUT, at the same time, I suspect that once you start looking at the Conference Winners for Position #4, 5 and 6, you'd see a lot of mid-tier teams. Considering the alternative would be having ranked #10-#12, I suppose it wouldn't be too insane to see a team like a #19 Appalachian State play.

In that same Alabama example, though, the SEC championship game would still be pointless. Bama could play their 2nd string the whole time, lose by 14 points and still be guaranteed a spot to be in the best of the non-conference-winning remaining 6.

I almost think that the Championship games should be elimination games given the shortness of a football season. I know that it's probably "not fair" when a #1 and #4 play in a powerful conference, but I don't think that a team that loses a conference game should be allowed to compete to be national champions. No team that doesn't win their division should be either and no Independent Programs (ie: Notre Dame) should be allowed to play for the NC either. This way, all you'd have left are teams that won their conference. That would **** for the SEC as you might have 4 Top-12 teams, but it also guarantees that the regular season matters as does the conference game.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 276 ✭✭✭ Junior

kirkhillies-

What about 2007 when LSU and Georgia both had conference losses? LSU won the natty that year with two losses. So with LSU and GA, you would not allow them to play for the natty due to a conference loss?

• Options
    nickpnickp Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

More incredible football on TV and Two more weekends of having to eat Buffalo Wings

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There is NO way this plan will stand with ND getting excluded from a bye. What if they are undefeated and ranked no 1? You think they'll have to play in a play in game?