Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football talent ‘edge’ isn’t as significant as some think

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited June 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football talent ‘edge’ isn’t as significant as some think

Georgia football has a talented roster. But the gap isn't as wide thanks in part to a difficult schedule.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No excuses. I've said it before, I'll say it again... Georgia has the Talent coming into its program to achieve ALL of its goals. That outcome now depends on player development, player health/injuries, and coaching. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting stuff, thanks for the details.

• Options
    Dawg01Dawg01 Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nope...

The difference has been the QB position. Nothing more - nothing less. Fromm was a solid QB; but not a great QB.

In 2017, Georgia got beat by at great QB in the 2nd half of the National Championship Game.

In 2018, Georgia got beat by the starter of the 2017 National Championship Game, after stopping the QB that came off the bench and beat them the previous year.

In 2019 Georgia got beat by another great QB from LSU in the SEC Championship Game .

In 2020, Georgia got beat by UF'S QB (a darn good one). While Georgia's starter was the 3rd choice going into fall camp and he got hurt in the game.

It's the QB position - no doubt about it. It's also clear that Kirby has figured that out and has the right OC in place to make it all work.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dawg01 is spot on IMO. I just have one thing to add, the 2019 season was Fromm's last. While it really wasn't ever discussed in detail I think losing Justin Fields really impacted the team from a chemistry perspective.

Again JMO, a lot of that team knew that Fields would have been a better QB if given a real chance to play and develop. Granted he still had some problems with the Pro Style offense but he still offered a higher upside and his former teammates knew it. James Coley as OC was also an issue.

• Options
    LDawgLDawg Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

So in essence, we have mega talent but we're still in the SEC with Bama so there's always gonna be a bigger kid on the block in our neighborhood every **** year until Saban retires. At this point If we dont beat them with basically the same talent level of kids as they have too....then it's flat out a war of attrition...we must simply keep Kirby in place continuing to do what he is doing, and when Saban leaves...coach smart will be the new Saban as the coach with the most talent and best staff in the SEC, which means the best in the country by default also. But I really want Kirby to BEAT BAMA AND SABAN to win a title...but I'll take em every other year starting in about 2028 since ol saban got 5 or 6 more years prolly unless he blows a gasket before then, but he's much calmer now days too. lol

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The biggest difference on the 2017 team was tremendous leadership on that team by Chubb, Michel and others that decided to stay committed to the G and return for their senior season. We haven’t come close to leadership like that since then. I don’t think we have it this year either, but we’ll see. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What happened at UGA during Kirby's time? Talent level risen to new heights but had to get through more talented, Saban led Bama twice and LSU's team of the century. Then Fields left , Newman opt'd out and starting 4th string walk on QB got hurt. UGA is just fine. Keep putting yourself in position. I would put UGA up against anyone in the country every year and expect to compete. That is all anyone can do.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA won't beat BAMA until it changes concepts or shall I say the head coach's concept of how you win. We have a good enough defense, and I would argue as of right now a good enough offense and not only the talent on offense (which we didn't before) but the right coordinator to put those talents to best use.

The winning formula isn't defense and then just do enough to get a 10 point lead and try to run out the clock with a strong running attack and hold the lead. UGA now has the ability and coaching to put the pedal to the metal and not look back.

I hope we never see again, 2 runs up the middle for little or no gain and then try to pass on 3rd and 7. That's not maximizing what you have. Attack , attack , attack. It's not just passing for the sake of passing but it's about everyone being on the same page and understanding what their role is and what's being done to the defense of the other team. Think Joe Burrow and LSU.

Can Kirby allow Monken to open it up and forget being balanced?

Florida only had 98 rushing yards against us last year and beat us by 16. Trask had 474 yards passing! If they had tried to run more we would have beat them or at least had a better shot at it. But they maximized what they did best.

We rushed with BAMA in that game, but they had the best air attack in the country. Mac Jones actually threw less times than Stetson Bennet, imagine that , but MAc was throwing TD's to DeVontae Smith(best receiver in the country) while Stetson threw 3 picks to a 2nd year player and a first year player.

Turnovers killed us but we were never going to win that game. They had higher quality skill players. And they maximized them.

If we don't have close to 4,000 yards passing this year then we didn't maximize what we have. Both Fla and BAMA had a little more than that last year. Yeh we can run out the clock with 8:00 to go in the 4th quarter, after we have a 4 TD lead.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2021

Good analysis Connor. I pointed out some of this information about the Blue Chip ratio and SEC teams in one of my last posts on another article. The SEC is simply loaded with more TOP talent than any of the other leagues, however, much of that talent is CLUSTERED among a few teams. And the SEC is a tougher and more competitive league overall to play in when you look at the elite talent in those teams. Georgia has a very favorable SEC schedule this season when you look at all the rebuilding, new coaches, and talent level of our SEC opponents. It's about as easy of an SEC schedule as we've had in many years. And let's face it, in general the SEC East is much weaker than the West and has been for years.

And think about this - Would we even be making it to the SEC Championship game most years if we were playing in the West? No way.

In 2022 our schedule is pretty favorable as well. We open with Oregon (BC ratio at 56%), but our SEC schedule only adds Mississippi State (not a blue chip by any means). Oregon is currently ranked at #6 in the 2021 recruiting rankings (Dawgs at #4), so they still are getting some good recruits for next season. And depending on how our SEC East opponents develop with their teams this year (ie are they improving, staying stagnant, or getting worse), next season could be easier or possibly tougher than 2021.

I still go back to this - Bama has a BC ratio of 84%. Dawgs are at 80%, and honestly that's probably about the best that we are going to get. We may be at the pinnacle/apex of Kirby's recruiting days. SO, we'd better take advantage of that talent and our coaching staff to make hay while the sun shines over the next couple of seasons. As more competition for elite talent heats up with NIL legislation and the free wheeling, ever changing transfer portal, Kirby will be fighting harder for every recruit he gets from now on. His job just got tougher from a recruiting standpoint. So again, I do say, we're at the apex of our recruiting right now. I just don't see us getting any better.

A final note...I think BC ratio will become even more important as the playoffs expand to 12-teams. You're going to need elite talent DEPTH on your team in order to survive the playoff gauntlet. So, recruiting top talent AND being able to retain them is going to be even more important going forward.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well said. Yes, being up two scores with 8 minutes left in the game is not the time to try to run clock, if you don't have the beef to do it. 8 minutes left, up 2 touchdowns, is an opportunity to gash a team for another score and deflate them, so you can win. Kirby does not seem to have a killer instinct. He seems stuck in the 80's when defenses won football games. It's a different era. Élite offenses beat élite defenses, now. Keep being aggressive until the horn sounds. And no more 4th and what-the-heck-are-you-thinking plays. We've seen enough of them for this coach's tenure.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

😎We have the talent, we have the coaching, we have the leadership, we have the facilities, but we lack one important ingredient. Alabama has it. Clemson has it. Ohio St. has it even Oklahoma has it [Yes they lost each year, but they got in x3] The 2017 UGA team had it, tenacity and they were hungry. The dividing line between winning and losing is tenacity not talent. This means giving everything you got 100% not more and not less than you have. This means working with determination and not waiting on destiny, fate, or luck for your success. Quit only when the job is finished push beyond what you think you can do. Preserve, don't give up when trails land on you, refuse to give up finish the race every step till you get what you came here for. Be tencious.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The offensively philosophy by Kirby, The past OC's, and Alabama has been the reason. We had a good enough QB to win it. In 2017 had the defense not collapsed in the 4th, we would have won the NC. I think it is highly unfair to put that loss on Jake. Now the offensive philosophy we played with after halftime shares as much reason as the collapse of the defense for losing that game. Jake was not a great QB but he was a solid and put his team in a position to win most all the time.

The good news is, I think Kirby has seen the light with his game strategy and realizes the old pound the ball and run the clock so the defense is rested won't beat elite offenses anymore. He brought in the right coordinator and it appears Kirby has took a step back and allowed TM to run the offense. I have high hopes for JT but the success he had at the end of season last year was very good. However, it was against pretty week competition with the exception of Cincinnati.