Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia recruiting: 2022 IMG Academy dominoes beginning to fall

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited July 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia recruiting: 2022 IMG Academy dominoes beginning to fall

A number of IMG Academy targets for Georgia in the 2022 recruiting class are making their college commitments this weekend

Read the full story here

Comments

• TrippTripp Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Keon choose Clemson

• MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2021

DawgNation is slow on its reporting. Daylen Everette also just committed to Clemson.

• MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2021

I don't think the DAWGS really "missed out" on Booker. I know UGA recruits all the top players and Booker was one of those players, but I don't think his decision was ever really in doubt. He was a ALA heavy lean all the way.

• Falcon1103Falcon1103 Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

UGA is losing out because of those past years with excellent recruiting classes and nothing to show for it. High class recruits want Clemson, Alabama and Ohio State because of they always get to the playoffs and for some reason develop better.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMG didn't work out well for the Dawgs today...

Here are the latest 2022 recruiting rankings as of this afternoon per 247 Sports:

1) Ohio State

2) Penn State

3) Notre Dame

4) LSU

5) Oklahoma

6) Alabama

7) Texas

8) Florida State

9) Oregon

10) Georgia

11) Michigan

12) Rutgers

13) Clemson

14) Texas A&M

15) VA Tech

Many months left in the recruiting cycle and many changes will happen!

GO DAWGS!!

• randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Our inability to get to the CFP with an elite offense is finally coming home to roost. The very top 4 and 5 stars especially on O are telling the Dawgs “prove it” and then I will seriously consider you. Until then we’ll continue to slip in the recruiting rankings each year until we are mediocre again and not nationally relevant. This year may be the most important one in the history of UGA football. CFP and high octane O will set up us for a great 2023 class and beyond, otherwise it’s going to be death by a million cuts over the next few years. Just the honest truth my Dawg friends…don’t kill the messenger.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

yall……

everyone just needs to take a big dose of “calm the flip down”. These are kids and they change their mind. Al Davis always said….Just win baby!

thats what solves recruiting issues. And further more I believe it’s a stretch to say Georgia has an “issue” at this time. Kirby always closes like a freight train in recruiting. Summer recruiting rankings change so much before December and furthermore two words…. Transfer Portal.

nuff said

Go Dawgs!

edited July 2021

Are the best days of the Smart recruiting era behind him?

Like I said as soon as the NCAA "blessed" the NIL direction...with the transfer portal and the immediate eligibility to play + the NIL landscape we have created an even more complex, cutthroat, competitive, and tough recruiting environment for every team out there. Despite the hesitation by some head coaches to use the transfer portal, I do think the portal will become more vital and important going forward. Obviously, we've seen first hand how much the DAWGS have benefited from it going into this season.

Once we move to a 12-team playoff field, the Dawgs will surely be included most years. BUT, winning a Natty at that point will require a little luck (for the teams getting a bye for Round 1) AND a DEEP bench of elite talent that can fill in as backups as teams move through the playoff gauntlet. So, winning your conference and being in the Top 4 teams with a BYE could be a HUGE advantage going into Round #2. And being able to retain elite players on your roster will be paramount to winning a NC.

The recruiting cycle for 2022 is far from over, so the DAWGS have plenty of time to improve their ranks, but the days of year-after-year Top 5 recruiting classes may be over for Kirby. I hope not, but only time will tell.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2021

I've seen you post this several times now. Still haven't seen an explanation as to how rules that apply to everyone will disproportionately affect one specific coach's ability to recruit.

• Falcon1103Falcon1103 Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

I love the Dawgs but maybe Smart isn't the answer. I'm tired of watching other 4 and 5 star players develop better and rub havoc on college football. Sagan is far more advanced and it has shown every time we play them. If I'm noticing then I'm sure the recruits are too. That's the reason Jermaine Johnson and others left to get better development and coaching.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2021

Getting better coaching and developement at schools like FIU, Liberty, Miami, Ole Miss, Auburn? I don't think so.. Look at the latest NFL draft as proof. Lucky if those teams ( a few teams UGA players transfered to) combined, had as many players selected as UGA.

This is just my opinion, and I am only questioning things going forward. I think any time you create a new landscape that makes something much more competitive you alter the "status quo". I think it may be harder to retain some elite players on your team if they are not getting the playing time they think they deserve. And if that's the case and they want to transfer and play elsewhere immediately then they can do it now. Now they also have the ability to transfer if they think they can make more $$ with NIL being a super star on some other team that immediately needs their specific help. And what about the coaches and assistants on your team that influence many of the recruits to come play for you? Will those recruiters become even more of an important commodity now requiring an even bigger investment by a team so they don't go elsewhere? We lost one of our biggest recruiters this season, and it's obviously hurt the Dawgs.

Will this increased competition and intensity of recruiting AND retaining players be something that helps or hurts Kirby & the Dawgs? I don't know. I'm just questioning what the ultimate outcome will be. My bottom line belief is adding NIL + the transfer portal and the immediate eligibility to play will make it tougher for Smart to recruit CONSISTENTLY as well as he has done in the past. And as I said, I hope I'm wrong.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@E_Roc recruiting going forward even more so in the past is going to be about roster management, player development, and playing for championships. The added unknown is going to be the impact of NIL. To this point Kirby has been able to sell UGA as something new but that is getting old. Just look at the current roster, without the transfer portal we would be missing a quarterback, two cornerbacks and a wide receiver. Both the offense and defense would be hobbled. Having to go this route is great for winning but it does not speak highly of the staff in general.

With all the talent that has been recruited, by most measures this talent has not developed when you look at first round draft picks, All Americans or even first team All SEC as a standard. Now I know some will reference the first round tackles from a few years ago but the coach who developed them is now the HC at Arkansas.

As for playing for championships, we all know how that has worked out to date.

So high school kids are going to look at these elements along with NIL more and more. Realize too that in each recruiting class at any university, there are very few players who will actually get drafted or who will play a down in the NFL.

You already seeing some of the impact of these on recruiting. We are targeting wide receivers but they are going other places knowing they might even have to sit 2 or more years. They are making these choices based on type of offense run, development and playing for championships.

That's all well and good. Obviously, the portal has created the potential for much higher turnover; no one is disputing that. But almost everything you said there applies to players who have already joined the program. My question as to how the new rules would disproportionately affect Smart's ability to RECRUIT remains unaddressed.

edited July 2021

"Just look at the current roster, without the transfer portal we would be missing a quarterback, two cornerbacks and a wide receiver. Both the offense and defense would be hobbled. Having to go this route is great for winning but it does not speak highly of the staff in general."

What? So, the portal has bailed out Smart et al by showing their ability to bring in elite players, two of whom are leaving programs that have recently won national titles? They "have to go this route" largely to address losses to the portal in the first place, players who left mostly because of playing time. As acknowledged below, the portal is going to create much more shuffling in general. The ones who adapt to the new way will be the ones that succeed. You are pointing to this coaching staff's demonstrated ability to quickly adapt to the new system as a basis for questioning their ability to manage their program within it. And what to say of your pointing to Pickens injury as though it somehow amounts to mismanagement? I suppose I'll just let it speak for itself.