Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Texas, Oklahoma SEC expansion: Georgia football makes intial winners & losers list

SystemSystem Posts: 7,418 admin
edited July 2021 in Article commenting
imageTexas, Oklahoma SEC expansion: Georgia football makes intial winners & losers list

ATHENS — Oklahoma and Texas are on the verge of joining the SEC from all recent indications. It’s been a secret a long time in the making about to become a sudden reality.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 256 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2021

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the existing teams get to vote on this before it can be approved. I'm not sure on all the rules and I would like to know. I can see a lot of teams voting against this. Sure, it will create more money in the short term, but one of the most important rules in business is, "don't over-expand". This move could hurt more current SEC teams than it would help. Texas is the one school that has the most to gain, but even that isn't guaranteed.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 256 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

i think 11 of the 14 schools have to vote yes. Not 100% sure.

• Options

I apologize for this being off topic for article, but I’m new on DawgNation and excited to communicate with and maybe learn a bit from seasoned UGA fans. I was fortunate enough to play football at a small GA high school so I have a fair knowledge of the game. At 5’7 155 with at best average athletic ability I never had dreams of playing college ball, but I’m an avid fan. Attended a division II school instead of UGA but have been a diehard dawg fan from the beginning. Glad to be part of DawgNation!

• Options
    KDawgpcHCKDawgpcHC Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

I don't see any more cross division rivalry games if Texas and Oklahoma join. Don't know why you would think that Tennessee and Texas would be natural rivals.

• Options
    AlysiadawgAlysiadawg Posts: 63 ✭✭ Sophomore

I disagree with this being a bad move. Spread things out more. More than likely you would face one of these teams one point or another anyways. Having them at home is better than a neutral site. Then beating them at their home stadium is a bonus. I haven’t been to Texas stadium or Oklahoma’s. I could care less though if either join, but they will. The players that UGA recruits mainly are in ga, North Carolina and Florida. UGA would have to play bama once a year possibly anyways and we always have auburn. So what’s the big deal?

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

My initial feeling is the SEC and UGA specifically do not benefit from these teams joining. I can’t imagine UGA athletic department Has any dire financial problems. On the other hand, as 1SICemDAWGS1 confirmed the schools that make up the conference have the final say. So hopefully the individuals that influence the way these member schools vote will have a better understanding of the pros and cons for their program and will influence the vote accordingly. The college game at division 1 level continues to change so it’s hard for me to be confident in knowing what lies ahead. I guess we must trust or hope that those closest to this potential change have good information and make the right decision.

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If they join, will there still be just two Divisions? With 9 teams in each Division? That's a lot of teams. Just wondering.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Watch out for the payolla. With that much money tossed around a lot of voters may be getting new condos in Vail. "we just feel like it's the right thing to do for the SEC." Uh-huh.

• Options
    wesadamowesadamo Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

We will take Oklahoma any day of the week as a cross over opponent. I still don't believe their defense, nor their lines of SCRIMMAGE, can survive in the SEC week after week and until they prove otherwise, I will not believe it.

• Options
    SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Great negative spin job. Good God why do you and Connor not go back to writing for your respective teams?!! Please. High school writers that are UGA fans could do a better job.

• Options
    AirmanEAirmanE Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

Yes 11 out of 14 have to vote yes but from the beginning all the reports said only Texas A&M was a no. CFB is all about money now nobody in this conference is turning down a 16 million a year raise.

• Options
    10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 254 ✭✭✭ Junior

Expansion was bound to happen at some point, now or five years from now. I think for UGA it's better to pick up UT and OU than it would have been to get Clemson, UNC, or someone else in the east. With playoff expanding to twelve teams it would help to have a win, or even close loss against another good team. On the flip side, here in UTK land, they're scared this might set them back at least another five years or longer to be competitive again. I think they maybe right, the middle and lower tier teams will probably takes some hits on the recruiting trail. I still think it's better the SEC get them than the Big10.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AirmanE has nailed it -- all about the money, schools won't turn down the 16 million.

• Options

@SmokeOnTheWater I'm not sure what's negative about this analysis -- it's just an opinion. Do you think Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC helps Georgia's chances of winning a championship? Feel free to share your thoughts on it .... we appreciate feedback.

• Options

@DawgTattoo there are discussions of keeping the divisions, eliminating the divisions and going to a pod system. We're not just what they will do yet.

• Options

Yes, you make a good point. Like most things it will likely come down to being all about the money.

• Options

@KDawgpcHC -- My scenario, with divisions and cross divisional play maintained, was for Auburn to move to the East Division. That would mean to preserve the annual Alabama-Auburn game, the most sacred in the SEC, Alabama would no longer be Tennessee's cross-division rival. With Auburn in the East, Georgia would also need a cross-division rival. I suppose you could make the case Tennessee could draw Oklahoma ,and Georgia draw Tennessee, but it seems like Tennessee's history with the state of Texas and the recent classic between Georgia and Oklahoma makes for a more natural rival. Who knows? They may eliminate cross-divisional rivalry games altogether. I do know Rick Barnes would not allow the Big 12-SEC matchup to pair the Vols with Texas. I thought that an odd objection, because Tennessee basketball has become a very strong presence and Texas has fallen off.