Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Texas and Oklahoma submit request to join SEC

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited July 2021 in Article commenting
imageTexas and Oklahoma submit request to join SEC

ATHENS — Oklahoma and Texas have formally submitted requests to join the Southeastern Conference just one day after notifying the Big 12 they would not be renewing their “grants of media rights.”

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore
  • Options
    fanchmanfanchman Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman
    edited July 2021

I have mixed feelings about expanding the SEC; but regardless, I want Georgia to have a quality schedule. Whether that is via a tougher Non-conference schedule, an expanded SEC schedule or a combination of the two, I look forward to a much improved home slate in the coming years.

Assuming this happens, the SEC needs a 9-game conference schedule (maybe even 10). If they keep the divisions, move Alabama & Auburn to the East and Missouri to the west. I personally like the 4-team pod idea put forth by the SEC Network. That way you play every SEC team at least once every 2 years. Coupled with a strong non-conference schedule, that would give the Georgia home schedule a variety of quality opponents. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This will be terrible for the SEC. Neither of these teams deserve to be in the SEC. They're being invited will delute our league. And the thought of 2 more western schools being in the SEC doesn't make sense. This is about MONEY! Let's make a deal;. we take the Sooners and the Longhorns and we give Vandy and Missouri to the Big 12.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know how this helps the SEC & FBS it certainly doesn't help the Big 12. The Big 12 has been dying slowly since 2010, maybe even since 1996. [The SWC demise in 1995]. How will this effect more traditional SEC rivals? A 16 team SEC is too much, drop Vanderbilt & Kentucky [or Missouri]. 😎

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If the SEC feels they just gotta expand I’d Much rather see Clemson and FSU join. I’m not particularly thrilled about expansion at this particular juncture anyway because as a Dawgs fan I honestly Believe that Kirby is on the cusp of finally getting past Saban and Bama and establishing a Dawgs Dynasty. This expansion coupled with already new playoff dynamics could make that much harder to do. Why you ask ? Very simple playoffs in and of their own are still very new. UGA and Kirby along with all of CFB were just “breaking in” to the new way. Now we’re not only looking at the playoffs being enhanced but now also expanding the conference. I don’t know maybe all this will bode good for the Dawgs. I’ll just say this and close, I stopped being Both a SEC guy and Dawgs guy a long time ago. Now For Me it’s all about what’s best for our beloved Dawgs. I don’t care about the other teams. Just the Dawgs. I know that sounds selfish but I have my reasons. What ever is gonna be best for the Dawgs that’s what I’m for. And right now I can’t see how this will be. I reserve the right to change my mind as time goes by.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's change and it's inevitable. The biggest surprise to me is that they were able to keep something this big so quiet for so long. Not even other members of either the SEC or the Big 12 had a clue. UGA will be fine. For the umpteenth time -- as this story clearly shows -- it's about the money; always was and always will be. Does this hurt our NC chances in football? Perhaps. But we'll be playing with the same deck as everyone else in the conference so we'll just have to learn to deal with it. Living in Texas, I like the idea (or at least the thought) that I'll get to see my beloved Dawgs and other SEC teams on a more frequent basis -- and not just the football teams, either. I would have been fine if this had never happened but since it is, I'm just going to sit back and embrace it. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

If adding teams is the flavor of the month, then drop Vandy, add GA Tech, Clemson, and FSU. The only real positive I see by the SEC by adding two of the top 15 teams in the nation is that there might be less appetite for expanding the playoff. No real point having a bigger playoff (a **** idea in any circumstance) if the SEC league play and Championship is the playoff.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Forget a trade. Just show vandy and mizzu the door. Let them figure their own situations out. I hear Arizona is wanting into the sec, next. 😔

• Options
    AlysiadawgAlysiadawg Posts: 63 ✭✭ Sophomore

The way I see it is that the sec is ahead of schedule of what all the other conferences are going to do. With NIL out, you have to sell a brand and who wants to play for you. That’s why UGA scheduled the opponents that they did for the future. We have to be ahead all other conferences. What if the big 10 got a hold of them. Then everyone would be talking about how the sec isn’t the dominate conference anymore. Think of the future not the present when it comes to business.

• Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can’t agree with all this talk of kicking out current sec members. Especially Vanderbilt and Kentucky. They have both been members since the 30’s. No Vanderbilt isn’t a football powerhouse and never will be but that’s not a bad thing for the conference. Besides the do very well academically and that’s a very positive thing. As far as Kentucky goes, I would not consider them on the verge of becoming a powerhouse either but they have an unparalleled basketball history. I really like college basketball and I’d hate to see Kentucky leave the sec.

• Options
    AlysiadawgAlysiadawg Posts: 63 ✭✭ Sophomore

I totally agree. People talk about bringing GT in. Are you serious? GT is not only not good in football, their basketball program went to hell, their baseball program went to hell! Plus they left the sec. Never invite them back. Let them stew over their mistake. Pretty soon academics aren’t going to matter because everyone will split from the NCAA. SEC will start governing their own.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For the love of money is the root of all evils. 1Timothy 6:10

All of this change in college football is leading down a destructive path. It’s nothing more than an nfl minor league now.

But… Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

You guys might as well accept it. College football is over. Gone, finished, bye, bye!!

UGA and all of the other universities athletes are now professionals.

I'm done with the NFL and I'm not interested in watching another pro league, so the decision is gonna be fairly easy for me the further along this goes..

Make not mistake this will drive some away from the game and that's sad.

I'd rather see walk on's and true amateurs make up the teams and leave it to amazon or a corp of that ilk to start a junior NFL. Give them their network and return the college game to what it was intended to be.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Could this be the beginning of the SEC becoming college footballs version of Amazon? Succeed from the NCAA dump the CFP poach Ohio St./Michigan/Wisconsin/Penn St./USC/Oregon/Clemson/FSU etc. Or the ACC/Big10 just merge w/the SEC others later. All of that under the SEC umbrella. The poor are getting poorer. Don't get me started on NIL. 1st Timothy 6:9-10 😎

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yall can talk bad about this expansion but dont get these players can.make a fee bucks. Yall some real haters for that. Everyone knew they would get to 16 teams one day so stop acting surprised

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

When money is your only motivation, misery is soon to be your mistress...the SEC should work to improve the teams that are already members before seeking or allowing more teams.