Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 things: Texas-Oklahoma imminent addition triggers immediate concerns

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited July 2021 in Article commenting
image3 things: Texas-Oklahoma imminent addition triggers immediate concerns

ATHENS — Texas and Oklahoma will most certainly accept invitations today the SEC voted to extend on Thursday, changing the face of college football and likely triggering more movement.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The addition of Texas and Oklahoma will screw up the SEC. There is no question about it. Wait and see.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m a lot more juiced about this move than the one that gave us A&M and Ark. I think the East/West thing will be over, and there will be 4 divisions. If so, everybody will play everybody every 2 seasons., which will be a vast improvement to the current system. I hope UGA gets one of them the very first Saturday that they play with us.

Go Dawgs!

SEC!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've never liked this. "It would seem 16 teams is about as big as a college football league should be..." No, 12 is the limit for me. But, I (we all) have to accept the inevitability of it and adjust our perception and expectations.

Moving on.

I do think the realignment mentioned in the article would indeed benefit the conference. Moving Missouri to the West and bringing Alabama and Auburn over would help balance the divisions at least a little. I guess the yearly Bama-LSU game might be lost. But Bama- Tennessee would be preserved (which could be a good thing if UT ever gets their shh together), as would Georgia-Auburn. Plus, Georgia and Bama actually WOULD become rivals at that point, which I think would go a long way in offsetting the loss of Bama-LSU.

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

When I first heard this, I hoped that one of the outcomes would be that UGA and Bama wound up in same division, pod, whatever. I firmly believe that this will go a long way toward reduce that mystique , mojo or whatever that Bama seems to have. Auburn always plays them tough because the annual matchup reduces that in the players mind.

At some point, there has to be a conversation about eliminating some of the perpetual bottom feeders of the conference .

• Options
    bhdawgbhdawg Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

I think you are right on, Clemson and FSU will be next . Location is right on for both of them. GATA

• Options
    traildawg51traildawg51 Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ Junior

Typically I am a traditionalist. I hate the designated hitter, 1 and done and restrictor plates in NASCAR; however, I am a fan of this expansion. I enjoy watching meaningful big time college football games. If you wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best. And on a strictly biased note, I think Texas and Oklahoma are about to find out what big boy football week after week is all about. Oh and yeah, bring on Clemson and Florida State too but you can keep Notre Dame.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I said this a little while back but feel like saying it again. I'm not so sure that expanding to a 9-game conference schedule is a good idea. Obviously I'm not opposed to the matchups themselves. If the schedule expansion would simply translate to a cupcake being replaced with an extra SEC opponent every year, then of course I'd be all for it.

But I don't think that's what's going to happen. I think instead it would take the place of any potential big-game (or even mid-tier) non-conference opponent, all but guaranteeing that SEC teams will consistently fill out the remainder of their schedules with pushovers. (And who could blame them at that point?) I know this is an assumption, but I think it's a reasonable one. And if it does play out like that, then that means that the only regular season games worth mentioning that any SEC team plays will be against the SAME GROUP of 15 teams. Every year. And while it will be fun at first, ultimately I think it will be bad for the sport.

• Options
    FishingDawgFishingDawg Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

Because opinions are like b*** holes. I've got one. Two divisions, forget east/west (maybe others/Alabama), keep Alabama in what is now the west and bring Auburn to the east.

Wonder how all of these SEC "cheerleaders" wanting a bigger and crushing conference will feel when we lose our identity and the conference name is changed to something more "woke"? Maybe the Kumbaya Conference. Let everybody be a member. Maybe teams can have pregame cookouts and be best buddies. Personally I like being able to say I can't stand any SEC team that includes the color orange in their team colors. Add Clemson and I will go from wanting to beat them to "I can't stand them either".

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Traildawg 51, I too am a traditionalist posting on here a couple times how i'd like to see the playoff use bowls and traditional tie-ins for a playoff. With that, i'd favor an East/West alignment moving the Ala schools east, Mizzou west. Keeps traditional rivalry games in place with UGA/Auburn, Bama/Tenn (FLA/LSU is not really a rivalry; just two top teams). Have a 9 game conference schedule, two crossovers without any restrictions. That would then allow out-of-conference rivalries that exist to continue: FLA/FLA ST; UGA/Tech; USC/Clem; KY/Louisville; OU/OSU; Mizzou/Kansas as examples. There would then be one hole in the schedule to fill with a powder puff (for the $$$ benefit of the PP, which is still important to overall CFB health) or the occasional Notre Dame/tOSU/UCLA type opponent.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

At first, I didn't like the idea of moving Alabama and Auburn to the East, but then I thought about it some more and it does make sense. We play Auburn every year anyway and I think @RealityBasedDawgFan makes a good point that playing 'Bama every year could go a long way in eliminating some of that aura around them that they seem to have. And let's face it, although Saban shows no signs (now) of stepping away, we all know he won't coach forever -- and his time will be even shorter by the time this actually comes to pass, whether that's next year or in 2025. So, onward and upward. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

Georgia just needs to win and win big. It is as simple as that. Win and everything else takes care of itself.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wouldn’t get to worked up about media market size when it comes to NIL. Don’t think Tuscaloosa played a big factor in Bryce Young already racking up $1 mil in endorsements. The NBA has proven that in this age, it doesn’t matter what market you play in if you can leverage social media, success on court, etc. Lebron became famous in Cleveland, KD in Oklahoma City. Besides, if it matters that much, Atlanta is close enough.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My sentiments exactly Mike! I was praying OK and Texas would not be added. Can you imagine a very real scenario where UGA would have to beat Auburn, Florida, Alabama and LSU or Texas or OK just to win a SECCG?!!!!! Are you freaking kidding me? Unanimous decision?! We need to consider firing our president based upon his vote. Loser: the SEC and UGA.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Dawg365 the same is going to be true for any team to win the SECCG. Currently let’s face it the road to the SECCG is a lot easier in the East than it is in the West. Winning the SECCG seems to be easier for a team from the West than the East.

• Options
    MarkGelbartMarkGelbart Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'm ok with Alabama and Auburn being moved to the east division. Georgia used to play Alabama every year until Vince Dooley took them off the schedule. Saban won't live forever.

• Options
    TIMLAW10TIMLAW10 Posts: 46 ✭✭ Sophomore

#4 Texas' artificial turf field. That has to go.

• Options
    Mickey_HandMickey_Hand Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Now bring on Clemson and Fla State and then put a cap on it Three 6-team divisions, top rated team gets a bye and the other two play to see who plays them for the conference title.

Lol, with a 16 team playoff you COULD end up with 6 SEC teams with a shot at the NC

• Options
    swimalumdawgswimalumdawg Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

What if we don't move any S.E.C. teams at all. Just put Oklahoma in the west and Texas in the east and move on.