Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

College football legend Steve Spurrier calls out Texas, questions Oklahoma’s decision to join SEC

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited July 2021 in Article commenting
imageCollege football legend Steve Spurrier calls out Texas, questions Oklahoma’s decision to join SEC

ATHENS — Texas and Oklahoma made their move to the SEC “officially official” on Friday, less than a week after giving the Big 12 formal notice of their intent not to renew their media contract after June of 2025.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Based on his logic of Texas bolting the BIG12 because they can’t win it, I guess we can expect South Carolina to bolt the SEC any day now.

Thirty years and counting.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 276 ✭✭✭ Junior

Whether you love Coach Spurrier or love to hate him, there is ultimate respect for what the man has brought to college football. He has consistently brought entertainment value as a player and coach. There is a refreshing air to his often rather blunt analysis, even when your side may occasionally be the recipient of a barb.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bogarttad Make not mistake about it I absolutely hate SOS and his condescending attitude. Didn't he quit in the middle of the season while being the HC at USC(e)? Come to think about it he bailed on the gators to coach in the NFL (complete disaster). He so badly burned his bridges at FU they wouldn't hire him back and that's why he ended at USC(e). Oh yeah, what a class act he is.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spurrier has a point. Oklahoma has virtually had a guaranteed play-off ticket to start every season for several years now and that wasn't going to change any time soon.

I think the coming play-off expansion to 12 teams is why they decided to make the move. Had it stayed at 4 teams and Oklahoma had joined the SEC, they may not have made another play-off appearance for the next 5 years.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 276 ✭✭✭ Junior

@ScoreCheck

I gather you are in the latter "love" category.

• Options
    KDawgpcHCKDawgpcHC Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

I doubt that Oklahoma and Texas care about what Coach Quitter thinks.

• Options
    DestinDawgDestinDawg Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spurrier does have a 3-1 record versus Saban.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

The SEC misses a guy like Spurrier. He doesn't say anything that is factually incorrect or he couldn't back up. Sometimes the truth hurts.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

Here's the thing. You guys all know who SS is.

He doesn't know who you are.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am thankful every day that UGA is represented by people like Kirby Smart and Mark Richt and not by people like Steve Spurrier or Dan Mullen. They are an embarrassment. In the Life Is Not Fair category a solid Christian man Like CMR is stricken with Parkinson's and a blowhard buffoon like SS marches merrily on.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Steve Spurrier is a champion. I didn't like him when he out coached us for years as we allowed our Dawgs to to wallow in mediocrity. We went to bowls but didn't win championships. He is to be respected as one of the best college coaches in football history. You may not like him, but I can't think of anyone better during his time coaching.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Steve Spurrier is a champion? He was the coach of the flagship football factory university in a state that was top 2 in producing blue chip HS football players. He won 1 National championship. Yes he beat up on some bad UGA teams. In my eyes that made him the tallest midget. He was terrible as a professional QB. He was even worse as a professional coach. He quit on his team mid season after getting spanked by UGA. Mainly because his ego couldn't take it and his lame work ethic couldn't back up the checks his mouth was writing. He is not a leader of men. He is an embarrassment. The guy has been classless and boorish. His claim to fame is that he could play and coach a little football. That is all he ever was.

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why is this guys **** mug a cover story on Dawgnation? Please…. Never again!

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2021

Steve's take is 100% spot on. But no matter what the playoffs will expand in the near future I think and Oklahoma should be OK. But if the playoffs don't expand....they just made the worst move in college football history. Not speaking financially, but by them losing their much easier path to making the playoffs, that will 100% not happen as often, with only 4 teams going and them playing in the SEC. Their admin is on their knees right now....praying for playoff expansion.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Now that it has marinated for awhile, Mullen IS very similar to Spurrier. Except in recruiting and qb development and game management and hiring elite staff members and and. But, as far as throwing less than intelligent, egotistical and annoying barbs at opponents he's right there with SOS.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol, I know he was our nemesis. But I do love me some Steve Spurrier. College football could use him.

As far as who wins a championship first? Texas is about to begin dominating thanks to NIL money. Their boosters are just going to buy monthly autographs to buy the best players. Without any limits or salary caps, other than pure free market, it's hard to not see them becoming quite powerful again.