Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How Georgia football can overcome short-term injuries at wide receiver

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageHow Georgia football can overcome short-term injuries at wide receiver

Georgia football has some concerns at the wide receiver position.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

1. UGAs starting 3 wide receivers are all out currently with injuries and one (pickens) more than likely will never play another snap for the Red & Black. Number 8 Blaylock might play late in the year, next year or qualify for a medical hardship...just the facts...nobody knows

2. The starting Center has a wrist injury to his snapping hand and an offensive line that truly is a cluster &%$# of who starts where and who can play well enough to run block let alone pass protect JT to throw to 2nd string receivers.

3. A supposed 5 star stud TE/receiver who has gone MIA less than three weeks before the opening most important game since 2019 or maybe even longer.

4. A talented but yet young inexperienced DB room with yes two stud DB transfers wait and wait and see.

And

5. A well liked assistant coach who abruptly takes a leave of absence for personal issue(s) weeks if not days into Fall camp.

We need not be talking about a national title run we need to be focusing on how are we going to try and beat Clemson with the above huge issues that aren't going to right themselves on Sept 4th and then moving foward.

Right now 10-2 with a Clemson loss and and upset at either at Aub or Ark at home...

T

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not sure why UGA consistently has more of their skill players, especially WR, hurt and not able to play more than any other top college football team. It's either bad luck or something going in with strength and conditioning, As I read this article, I get more and more concerned about Clemson. It's all seems to have fallen apart in the last two months. But here's hoping we can glue it all together in two weeks.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@randyglass14 it has to do with the S&C program currently being used. Saban once again has moved in a different direction moving away from more traditional methods. He reported that their soft tissue injuries were down by 50%. When coach C left to join Kirby he used that as an opportunity to change directions and restructure this part of his program. It did turn out as a win win for both teams. As a first time on field coach the special teams were very good

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Reading about Clemson's first scrimmage will tell you that they are having their share of issues with injuries and execution just like we are...Let's not use this as an excuse to underperform. Good to see the freshman receivers getting some reps, because we'll need them sooner rather than later. We are loaded with elite talent at RB and TE, and I know Monken will be using these guys as much as possible, moving guys around and making adjustments.

Next man up...move the chains...Get 'Er Done!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So because one other program has seen a 1- year reduction in injuries, you conclude that the high number of injuries to a specific position group at Georgia is definitely a result of the S&C program here?

Is that just one example or is that all you're basing it on?

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

One good thing about living as long as I have (and being a Dawg most of that time) is that I have gotten pretty good at "coach-speak". If Kirby was giving glowing reports (or even moderately good) about how well things are going, I would find that cause for worry. Listening to Vince talk about pre-season problems taught me that with good coaches, it's always doom and gloom. Dabo is doing the same thing. We'll see what we are in a little over 18 days.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This really wasn't a concern when I thought Jackson and Blaylock (after 12 months of rehab) would be at full strength and Gilbert would be ready to contribute. Now? It is concerning. One wrong route INT from an inexperienced WR could be the difference in this game.. JT likes to be decisive and seems to want to put the ball in a spot based on a pre-snap read. I know Bowers , Cook and McIntosh can contribute in the slot but some production will be needed from the WR position to win game 1. On a side note, Gilbert could be using this time to carve out a big role for game 1 with all the absent WR's. Opportunity missed.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@E_Roc this is actually year two of this program and the reduction is for the team not a single position group. Saban contributes this reduction to the current S&C program. Now I am sure Saban could be wrong about his assessment.

You do raise an interesting question about why there are so many injuries with one particular position group. There could be several explanations ranging from conditioning to bad luck or any combination of these. I am Kirby and the OC have a plan in place to overcome these injuries.