Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia TE Darnell Washington and DB Tykee Smith among injured Bulldogs

SystemSystem Posts: 10,474 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia TE Darnell Washington and DB Tykee Smith among injured Bulldogs

ATHENS — Tight end Darnell Washington and defensive back Tykee Smith, both projected starters, are among the Georgia football players banged up with the team’s second scrimmage approaching.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Falcon1103Falcon1103 Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

Why all the 🤕 injuries? We seriously need to think 🤔 about a more plausible conditioning program or are we practicing too hard? Can't start the season with a plethora of injured players. We are giving Clemson a gift.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is anybody else starting to feel like Mr. Burns trying to field a softball team?

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

"...doing high intensity warmups before stretching and other activities has greatly reduced about 60-70% of soft tissue injuries on his football team. Are we doing this? if not, maybe it is something UGA strength staff should look into."

Nearly all HS and college programs have been doing this for over a decade. It's called a dynamic warmup.

I worry that the entire program has gotten so caught up in expectations that they're trying to meet/exceed them at every turn. Seasons are long and arduous and that type of intensity is simply unsustainable. Or...there's a little bit of gamesmanship going on.

Either way they'll be fine.

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

This ongoing injury issue is becoming a recurring problem for UGA. We are annually becoming the most injured team in the SEC and it’s not good. Either we are practicing the wrong way or strength and conditioning program is wrong. Either way, it needs to be fixed. We’re potentially losing games now before we even play!

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

Injuries do seem to be an issue at this point in the season. I do think most of the players will be available for Clemson. Having said that there is some reason for concern if this trend continues as the season progresses.

According to reports individualized strength and conditioning programs have been developed for each of the Alabama players. The focus of these are on power and speed. It seems to be less about weight in the more traditional sense. This emphasis makes sense as the game has gotten quicker and more plays are being run. The players apparently really like it and have fully bought in. They and the coaches get almost instance feedback on their progress.

We have not heard a lot about Kirby’s S&C program but I am sure it is being evaluated to determine what may be needed to be improved and what can be improved.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not worried at this point. We've got some of the best S&C coaches in the whole country on the Dawg's staff. I can't imagine we aren't doing everything possible from a S&C standpoint to keep the guys from getting injured. If needed, guys will play banged up. It's the nature of the game. Clemson had a couple of injuries during their first scrimmage, but we do appear to be a more battered team where it counts. Certainly not an excuse for poor performance or lack of execution. We go through this about every season and people panic. Either we learn to adjust our game plan to take advantage of other players or we fall short of expectations again. Pretty simple.

• Options
    AlysiadawgAlysiadawg Posts: 63 ✭✭ Sophomore

How do we always have the same injuries year after year? Acl tears, hands, ankles and emotional problems. Thats why I hate a big time game as the first game. That’s is also why most programs always had a warmup game to start the season. Maybe Clemson is going through the same thing. I haven’t heard of any problems. I am getting stressed out! Can’t wait until sept 4th, hopefully this angst will go away!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe they'll all get back, maybe they won't. I remember last year, the TE who transferred in from Florida State. He got a "little banged up" about three weeks before Game 1, CKS said he would be "fine." The kid played but after the season it came out his (I think) shoulder was never right all year and it affected his performance. When Kirby says a kid "will be fine," I start getting nervous. And yes, the injured kids may play against Clemson, but how effective will they be? Also, Jackson and Burton being photographed at practice means nothing. At last report from CKS, neither has been cleared for contact work thus far. I'm not panicking yet, but I am highly concerned. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

Word is....Tykee Smith and Darnell Washington have both undergone surgery to repair minor fractures in their foot. 

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

New to the forum, and joined just to make this point/ask this question: these injuries seem more than coincidental with the arrival of new facilities. Does anyone know if the facilities upgrade included new turf on the practice field? This could be a potential cause of the foot/knee injuries. In my long ago team sports involvement, new/tough artificial turf did damage to a lot people's feet and knees, mine included :)