Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia starting lineup hit with rash of injuries, what comes next

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia starting lineup hit with rash of injuries, what comes next

ATHENS — Football is a game of adjustments, something Georgia coach Kirby Smart has been reminded of in fall camp with a rash of injuries to projected starters.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

I'm still not worried because we've got other guys who can step up and we've got time to get them ready for the Tigers. Bowers, Brini, and Ringo all are studs and have shown they can play! Fitzpatrick should be back for Clemson unless something changes. Next man up! I'm not counting on Blaylock as he's been out forever, and I don't think Kirby was counting on Gilbert to be ready to start against Clemson anyhow.

I am curious - Mike, are most of these foot/ankle injuries happening on artificial turf/grass (ie indoors in the new facility) OR outside on regular turf? Love to analyze that...

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2021

We've lost our talent margin against Clemson with all these injuries (which by the way is utterly troubling as the program leads in significant leg/foot injuries every year and better get addressed fast!). Fans are fooling themselves if we think our 2/3/4 deep players can pick up the slack. Was somewhat optimistic for this year, but now I'm officially concerned.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

Understand your concern, but I look at it this way:

The WAY we play against Clemson, how we play the game, how we attack, how we hold up on both sides of the ball, how JT plays...these are the things I will be analyzing and looking at more than the outcome of the game. Win or lose we MUST show up and make it a great contest. If, for some reason, we are flat as heck and Clemson runs over us, JT gets sacked and intercepted time and again, our stout D gets run over, etc....THEN I will really start to worry. How we play the game against Clemson may end up being the difference at the end of the season on whether or not we get in the playoffs. After Clemson, we've got a pretty easy schedule for the rest of the regular season to get those guys healthy.

It sounds like Washington and Smith both had some minor surgery...just what I have heard. We shouldn't expect them for Clemson. I hate the injuries but it's next man up!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We get hit with a double whammy in every situation like this because:

1) you lose the player and their skills

2)you lose/have to rediscover chemistry.

at this point if we can develop chemistry and keep the injury bug away we will be fine September 4th.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow! First receiver, now Tight-end. Unreal. Timing is far from ideal.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 351 ✭✭✭ Junior

why is it UGA seems snake bitten with injuries more than any other team, EVERY FREAKING YEAR??

• Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I absolutely agree, championship teams find a way to overcome these obstacles. I hate that we have been hit so hard by injuries, but as you say it’s next man up. Our players are talented enough find that chemistry we need and straight ball out. If we are gonna complete for a title this year this is the mentality our guys must have no matter who we play. Clemson is a brutal game with or without many injuries. We want a natty. That’s the goal, so we might as well go ahead and overcome adversity right out of the gate. I believe our guys can and will push Clemson to the edge no matter what, and win or lose against the Tigers, this will set the tone and establish confidence for a special season. I have to believe that our guys can get it done. Next man up and just do the **** thing. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Major artery issues folks that are spilling the life out of this seasons potentisl before it even gets started not even two weeks after Fall camp started.

1. Starting Center two days into camp injuried snapping hand....in a cast for time being. A big red flag issue potentially all season which would effect are entire Off line set up

2. Three starting TEs/hybrid.. one MIA, one out with ankle/foot surgery unknown return and another with foot injury that he will fight through all year from a reliable source.

3. Two 5 star receivers out with major knee rehabs, one coming off knee surgery wearing a brace, one fighting ankle sprain and another coming off broken ankle and now twisted ankle.

4. Starting nickel DB out with surgery, rehab snd unknown return time with an already depleted secondary

That's 9 players which two are out long-term if not all year, one MIA, and 6 already injured and trying to play through

Concerned isn't the word...

• Options

I guess I can understand why you take the views you do, but man this is football. Teams almost always face major injuries. I agree that we have had more than our fair share very early this year, but it is still early. I’m not ready to put the season on life support yet just because we’ve gotten tons of bad breaks. We still have talented players suiting up and I am confident in our coaches. Yes we will miss some players for the first game against Clemson but most will be back soon and others will gain valuable experience for it. I bet none of the players are feeling this doom and gloom. We have some of the best young players in the country and I bet they are excited to get the chance to play more against Clemson. They didn’t come to UGA to have an easy road. The season has barely begun so time will tell.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wonder if the players ever read these rosy comments. So much for adults teaching college kids how to look on the positive side. It's ridiculous but not surprising. Dawgs will be just fine.

• Options
  • Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@VenomGA every team experiences this there is just more drama when it happens in Athens.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Calling Brock Bowers. Come in BRock.

Starting safety, center and TE going to miss the biggest game for the next several weeks.... but nothing to see here ...right guys? I mean who else can we lose and still be alright as far as starters go? Hey Joe? Zona? Maybe JT? Nakobe? Davis?, are we fine then? Maybe? Maybe not? At what point does it not become fine? How many starters going down can we take and still be the same team? We'll let you guys be the judge.

Somewhere between the sky is falling and we can lose x amount of starters and still beat Clemson, is reason. But neither of those two extremes is reason.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2021

I hear ya @Billy2131. That's nine (9) players THAT WE KNOW ABOUT. There may be others somewhat hurt that they don't tell us about. Kirby wasn't going to say anything at first about Washington and Smith until word leaked out about them having surgery. And even then, he downplayed it by just saying they have "foot injuries" and their "status is day-to-day." So many Dawg fans believe most of these injuries won't be long-term and the players will be back relatively early in the season. But because I've learned not to completely trust Smart when it comes to injuries, I'm not at all convinced of that. What's the real status of Jalen Kimber, Owen Condon, John Fitzpatrick? You can kiss Arik Gilbert goodbye. Same for Blaylock, or if he does play, he'll only be a shell of the player that he was. Meanwhile, Dabo Swinney says he has one guy -- ONE -- that he's worried about not being able to play. And that's an offensive lineman that I'm not sure is even a starter. So maybe these major injuries don't happen to everybody. So much hope and promise. Oh well, Glory, Glory to old Georgia!

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby still has a lot of returning starters on both sides of the ball. This is where his highly ranked recruiting classes come in. I am sure there has been tremendous effort made in developing these players as backups long before this rash of injuries. The team is still in good shape moving forward.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Injuries and UGA football. It’s an annual tradition.