Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Sources: Georgia football players Tykee Smith, Darnell Washington undergo surgery

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageSources: Georgia football players Tykee Smith, Darnell Washington undergo surgery

Georgia defensive back Tykee Smith and Darnell Washington underwent surgery on Wednesday, DawgNation has learned, and will miss multiple weeks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Again, I know injuries are unavoidable in pre-season scrimmages and every team has them. BUT we have more and especially more with our skill players with foot and leg injuries. It's become a consistent thing with this program to the point CKS better looking hard at the S&C program for major changes. More is going on than just bad luck.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with you, randyglass14. I’ve been saying that since the 1990s.

• BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Smart has loaded the roster with speed, talent & depth at every position. Like other top 5 schools, players are going to have to man-up & do their jobs. Clemson, Alabama & Ohio State have new QB's, WR,'s, etc... & all are ranked higher than UGA. Smart & company need to get the job done. We've had 40+ years of, "injuries really hurt us", or "we just needed more depth', "we had to play in Auburn for two straight years", "we lose a home game playing in Jacksonville", or any number of issues every team faces. Enough with the excuses. There will always be something. Get it done!!!

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I don’t know. Maybe it’s not just bad luck. I agree that it is concerning though. Especially all the ankle and foot injuries.

I think MontanaDawg asked an interesting question recently about where are the bulk of these ankle and foot injuries happening. Turf or grass, indoor or on the field? I am interested to know if there is a connection there. Perhaps it’s not all just bad luck

• SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm by no means a professional trainer and I know these guys have a lot of science and metrics they're using. However I know sometime the smallest stuff can get overlooked, and I'm wondering if it's the cleats. Only bringing this up because I experienced this when playing rec. football. When the studs on my cleats were rather long, I used to tweak my knee and ankles more often simply because they dug too far into the ground and didn't have any give. I switched the studs out for slightly shorter ones and it eliminated the issues for me and still gave me plenty of grip. Worth taking a look at anyway. Hope everyone gets healthy asap!

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Something to think about there. You probably know more than me about the cleat issues as I haven’t played ball since high school and back then everyone just used standard cleats, or at least where I played. I mean, I would hope that cleats would be something that wouldn’t be overlooked because it definitely makes sense to me that it could be an issue. Having said that, I know very little about the science that goes into that type of issue. Good point though, hopefully they are on top of that and my guess would be that they are. I would be surprised to find that not being a major topic in an athletes training at the college level.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I read where Saban said last weekend that Bama no longer warms up cold muscles by stretching, and they have all but eliminating feet, ankle, lower leg and hamstring, vrs arm and neck muscles.They warm up the small muscles by vigorous aerobic exercise, then begin stretching the already warm muscles. Huge dividends already in lack of injuries. Maybe that’s why Saban didn’t seem to mind a bit when Cochran left. Maybe he got a S&C guy with new techniques and proven ideas. Once again Saban is ahead of the curve, and ahead of our guy, and his vast army of coaches, former HCs, and analysts. Hopefully Kirby jumps on this bandwagon asap and tries to catch up to the Great Saban once again. Maybe even get our own S&C guy from the NFL?

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, Connor, and the ENTIRE Dawgnation staff...

Based on all the comments here and on other posts, I would ask that you guys PLEASE look into the specifics of these foot/ankle/knee injuries in regards to whether or not they are happening on new turf or grass, indoors or outdoors, etc. Is there a pattern emerging? Are we pushing these guys pre-season too hard which is leading to more injuries? Is it something with the cleats?

While I'm still not worried about our goals for this year, the amount of injuries the Smart program has endured over the last several years seems excessive in comparison to other top notch programs. Maybe it just seems that way, but I don't think I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Aside from the fact of the injuries themselves, my other big concern is that it seems when players on other teams get injured, those guys are back the next week -- if not the same game. Sure the Waddles at Bama are the exception, but I mean, when Georgia loses a guy, we initially here they might miss one or two games. Then before you know it, we're at the Tech game and we're hoping someone can still play. I know Ron Courson is the king of sports medicine, but it just seems that once our guys get hurt, they take longer to heal than any others in the SEC. Meanwhile, Tua nearly breaks his ankle 3 years ago, and he's playing again in 2 weeks.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have been reading about conditioning and sports medicine at Bama. First it seems Saban has made this another priority and he is way ahead of his peers. To set all of this in motion he hired a director of sports medicine and strength and conditioning coach. This was a new direction from what was taking place with Coach C.

One of the things I found to be quite interesting was the tests they conduct on each player. In total there are at least 15 muscle groups that are tested. What these tests have shown for example are the muscles around the right knee are not as strong as those of the left knee. This means more stress is placed on the right knee meaning there is a greater possibility of injury to that knee. They design a program to strengthen this knee. Their goal is to get every muscle group to be even. Reading this it makes sense.

The other place they have invested heavily is in rehabilitation. Some of the things they have and use seem very futuristic. Some of this was part of Tua’s rehab.

Even with all of this Bama still have players who sustain injuries but in most cases they are not as serious and the recovery seems shorter.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior