Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What we’re looking to learn from second Georgia football scrimmage

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageWhat we’re looking to learn from second Georgia football scrimmage

Georgia holds its second scrimmage on Saturday. It will be a big one for the Bulldogs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

We are in big trouble on the Offensive side of the ball folks with these season changing catastrophic injuries and an Offensive line that seems to be not coming together

1.... Unkown Offensive line- up two weeks before Clemson with no starting center

2. TE position one play away from starting a true Freshman

3. Receiver room that is well into starting 3rd and 4th string players as your 1st and 2nd string guys are already out and or playing through bad knees and sprained ankle injuries.

Be very concerned folks

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't think that any knowledgeable football fan doubts that we have one of, if not the top, best defenses in the nation. Why is it that our offense struggling against that defense cause for such doom and gloom as we have heard since last Saturday? Quite frankly, I don't see the Clemson D as good as ours on any level. They have no one close to Davis in the middle and their running game last year was not very productive, even against ACC competition. I look for our offense to put up at least 31 points against them.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I disagree with Connor on having to have Jackson, Burton and Fitzpatrick "need to see the field" today. There is still 2 weeks to practice and get right for those 3 players. Makes no sense to put anyone in this scrimmage that isn't close to 100%. As for the OL, there are 8 or 9 players that are virtually interchangeable with similar expected results. Naming the 5 "starters" is not really relevant. In fact it is probably an advantage to NOT name the starting OL. Clemson DL will have to prepare to gameplan and attack the various players in various positions.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@rhbatch let us all hope that this defense is better than last year’s.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Read the reports from Dabo, all positive. Read the reports out of Dawgnation, gloom and doom. I realize there are injuries but I also realize there's another two weeks in Fall camp as another poster pointed out. Go Dawgs, we have depth, next man up!

• Options
    Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From what I’ve heard from dawgnation and other sites, I’m really hoping Fitz can go. I hear great things about Bowers but he can’t help the offense completely like Fitz can. Also, I’m just totally bummed not to have Washington. I am probably more excited to see him on the field than anyone. Hopefully he heals up soon

• Options

I agree about not naming the starting O-line being an advantage. I know the center position has caused changes but I find it hard to believe that our coaches don’t have a really good idea who will start and where. I’m really glad to hear Van Pran is excelling, that’s great news!

• Options

I am not sure if not all teams don’t have the same questions and injury issues that the dawgs do. Every coach is trying to determine his best 11 on both side of the ball and to answer questions about depth. It still is a long time to the first game for everyone. The next week will be continuing to focus on position fundamentals and group concepts. The next will be game preparation week and by then all the current questions should have answers. FINALLY kick off.

Each fan is going to have to decide if the glass is half full or have empty. You can be assured the players and coaches will view the glass as at least half full and probably even more.

• Options

I agree, all of the differences of opinions and predictions will be set straight soon enough as many may think differently after the first game one way or the other. (Myself included). I’ll say though, I’ve enjoyed being on Dawgnation. I love to hear other opinions from the people here. I’ve learned something I didn’t know many times through others comments. Some might get their feathers ruffled a bit but that’s normal, we are all excited and anxious about the season starting. I’ve enjoyed reading other’s comments, even when they differ from what I believe

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dabo raved about their Thursday night scrimmage, especially about QB play. I admit the seemingly constant negative occurances over the past 3 years has me wondering if we'll ever simply have a good day again. If today's scrimmage casts a negative pall I might be tempted to shut down reading about the team till game day.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I see your point, we better hope the glass is more than half full though.

• Options

I see my comment about this year’s defense has drawn some disagreement. It really is a simple question. Is the 2021 defense going to be better than the 2020 defense? In the two games that were lost last year, the defense when faced with a dynamic offense collapsed. Against Bama as many like to point out the dawgs were ahead at halftime. The defense could not protect the lead. To a lesser degree the same was true against UF. MSU and Cinny were also struggles as neither had the players that UGA was able to put on the field but did stress the defense.

This year during the regular season the defense will face two teams with dynamic offenses- UF and Clemson. The rest of the schedule will afford the defense to pad their stats.

From a statically perspective last year’s defense was good and lead the SEC in many categories. The most important category, points per game, they were second behind Bama. I don’t think you would find anyone associated with Bama that would say their 2020 defense was great or elite.

In just a couple of weeks we will find out if the 2021 defense is really a top defense or not.