Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jake Fromm and Justin Fields compete in NFL scrimmage

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited August 2021 in Article commenting
imageJake Fromm and Justin Fields compete in NFL scrimmage

Jake Fromm and Justin Fields were back in a game on the same field together on Saturday -- for the first time since 2018 when they battled it out to be UGA’s starting quarterback.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Those that watched the QB competition and are objective know that Fromm was a much more polished QB as a freshman and sophomore than Fields was as a freshman. Fields just wasnt ready and UGA was coming off a CFBNCG appearance. HOWEVER, I said it then and I will say it now, Fields would have beaten Fromm (remember the SC loss?) out in Fields 2nd year. Fields didn't want to stay and compete he wanted a guarantee. OSU gave him one. It is ironic but, based on the OSU performance against Bama last year, Fields best chance at a NC and beating Bama would've been to stay at UGA.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Whenever anyone says Smart should have replaced Fromm with Fields, my question is always “when?”.

At the beginning of the 2018 season, in which Fields was a true freshman and Fromm was the returning starter of the defending SEC/Rose Bowl champs and lost the natty in overtime?

Or maybe after UGA lost its first game of 2018 in Baton Rouge but still had a clean path to a possible national title? Time to give the true freshman the reins then, when another loss wrecks your title aspirations?

Or maybe before the SECCG, in which a win sends the 11-1 dogs to the playoff for a 2nd straight year? A game that Fromm and UGA led until deep into the 4th quarter?

Is Fields a terrific talent? Absolutely. But anyone who doesn’t understand why he didn’t replace Fromm in 2018 simply doesn’t know they are talking about.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

One more thought about Fields… he hasn’t proven anything at the pro level yet. He fell to number 11 in the draft, and the rumors are that scouts and GM’s were concerned about his decision making ability (on the field), and issues with accuracy.

Yes, he played very well in the win against Clemson. But for the most part, whenever I watched him and OSU during the regular season, Fields was throwing to WIDE OPEN receivers. The talent on the Buckeyes vastly outmatched the opponent game in and game out.

There are no Northwesterns or Rutgers defenses in the NFL.

Cardale Jones won a national championship with OSU. Troy Smith won a Heisman. Terrell Pryor looked like a freak of nature in Columbus.

And none of them did squat in the NFL.

I’m not rooting against Fields or for him. But the jury is still out on just how great he’ll be as a pro. Frankly, I see a lot of similarities with Vince Young.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only reason Fields fell to #11 was because he was diagnosed with epilepsy during NFL physicals. Teams were afraid to invest such a high pick on a player with a questionable health grade. Any other discussion about slow decision making was pre-draft smokescreen designed to "help" Fields slide down the draft board into the waiting arms of a QB needy team. The offense he ran at OSU was the offense he ran. And he ran it almost to perfection. The skills are undeniable.