Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football pass catcher issues very apparent in Clemson win

Comments

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't think you understood what I said, either just not understanding it or by me not typing the right question. I am more thinking it my be the latter. The oline didn't give JTD much time, but didn't run well enough with 8 people dropping in coverage. 20 yard passes were going to be hard to do with the quick pressure clemson brought. I understand that.

I don't have any ideas about what adjustments to make, I'm not being paid to do that. But with all the talk about defensive adjustments that CKS makes, the offense did the same thing in the 2nd half as the first. That is why I asked if they don't do offensive halftime adjustments.

I also completely agreed with you about Clemson's defense, they are real good. At least in this game they looked like it. The reason I say that is because everyone on this site believes Clemson plays in a weak conference. But if that"weak" schedule produces 6-8 teams that put up 17 points or more against them by that teams offense, what is more realistic, a bad UGA offense or a great clemson defense? I understand the additional time for preparations helps with getting a defense ready, UGA had that also.

You even said it yourself, you are not going to be impressed against our weaker teams, or it will confirm your suspicions. And that was my point. If clemson can hold our offense to 3 points (should of been 6),but give up 17-24 points against teams like pitt, wake, NC state. It shows that it was our offense more so then their defense. And that the offense HAS TO DO BETTER. Period.

But I hope that these next few weeks give them time to get healthy and in sync more. Personally, I'm not even a fan of 50 yard td passes, it's nice to see and fun to watch, but really my offensive goal would be, unrealistically I'm sure, is to score slowing and on every possession. Every play is 5-8 yards, with an occasional 20-25 yard play to loosen the defense. But methodically just drive the ball. I know it's not popular, but just think, if they scored on every possession and ate up 5-7 minutes on every drive, that defense would be even better. They would be rested more. Even though the defense was still attacking in the 4th, the last 2 drives of clemson's accounted for 1/4 of their yards. UGA was starting to lose a step. The longer the offense can't help the defense, begins to hurt the defense.

Sorry for the Dawgnation version of War and Peace. Good day.

GO DAWGS!!!!

• khummelkhummel Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The first (live) time I saw JT throw that incomplete pass in the end zone into heavy coverage, I hollered OMG WTH. But when I watched it again in slow-mo a few times, I pondered something else... when I saw Brock Bowers high-point and darn near catch it above that crowd , I harkened back to JT saying previously he wanted to give his stud receivers a chance on throws... and he knows full-well what Brock's capable of, seeing him make ridiculous catches like that in practice. Hmmmm. Jury's out, but not giving up on our QB doing some really impressive things in the passing game this year. Go Dawgs!

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Arik Gilbert was not with the team either after taking a leave from the team for personal reasons."

Look, I mean, I get it. I had severe depression during a period of my college days in Athens. BUT, you can't just leave it as "personal reasons". I'm sorry, but you can't... not when we need you quite badly. The problem is not really his particular situation, but the fact that if "personal reasons" can be used, ANY player can use that ANY time.

The questions are not going to stop coming: is this a day to day thing? Could he play in a week? Is he going to be in the Portal again? Is he negotiating with a NIL deal? Is he in therapy? Is it a family issue?

I get it, it's none of my damm business, but come on. As far as I'm concerned, it's no different from Jamie Newman. I'm sure he would've claimed "personal issues" if COVID wasn't available as a choice. If you aren't going to play this year, then say so.

edited September 2021

I don't think he is going to play for UGA. I may be wrong, but I think it's an academic issue. Hopefully he gets it figured out and enjoys the ride of what could be a special season, but if he is a distraction, no thank you.

But I will say, it is funny how all of the writers keep saying we are missing him. If we never had him, how are we missing him?🤔

GO DAWGS!!!!

• TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2021

I've been paying attention alright but surely you can come up with a better answer than that. I was just looking for that legendary armchair coaching perspective.

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 374 ✭✭✭ Junior

I thought Monken tried too hard to pass the ball and should have tried the power running game more. The two toss sweeps they ran both resulted in 10 yrd gains. When they finally committed to the run with less than 5 mins left in the game, the O-line was able to exert its will and run out the clock. I wish they had tried it sooner.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

If they had relied on the running game, there would be plenty of apoplectic commenters typing away, taking issue with it. It wouldn't matter what the outcome was. It would be "same old Georgia," "Kirby needs to keep his hands off the offense," "we need to be practicing the passing game," "that's not going to cut it against..." blah blah blah.

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Low level play calling, poor throws, etc,etc. To me the OC and maybe the receiver coach seem to be scapegoating receivers.

You must grasp to idea that ''relying on'' the running game would have put a bullseye on running backs. It's sort of a big thing to mix plays in a way that limits the opponents' ability to key on any one type of play. The running game was used pretty well, the passing game was a joke.

Sure, have Clemson's entire defensive front 7 converging on the ball carrier, super idea.

Kirby has a strong tendency to get too conservative on offense in tough close games.

Why does Bama consistently have receivers wide open ? Till Saturday night I thought Monken had a good grasp of flooding zones, moving picks,etc,etc. Why we ran such simple plays is beyond me.

• Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

ITS TIME CKS TO MOVE ON AND GET A NEW WR COACH WHY WOULD ANY BLUE CHIP WR EVEN COME HERE RIGHT NOW BAMA AND OSU SEEM TO KEEP THE MACHINES ROLLING COME HERE A WR AND END UP BEING A KR OR DB

My biggest concern is, what's the saying, "it's a copycat league". I know there isn't any team we play with the defensive chops as clemson, except bama and maybe florida, but what game plan is UGA going to have if all the teams play some sort of the same type of "soft zone"? Are the recievers going to be able to beat it? Because remember, when UGA lost to SC, every team after that played the same defense and Fromm and the offense struggled in the passing game. I know other issues were present, but still, it caused problems.

But who knows, maybe CKS was playing it that way to "save" the offensive play calling for games when the DAWGS need it. Maybe he knew his defense could handle clemson's offense. At least that is what I want to believe. And I will. Makes for a better day.

GO DAWGS!!!!

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

It is way too early to draw any conclusions about most teams, this includes UGA and Clemson. There are just too many questions at this point. Given the schedules it is going to be hard to get answers to these questions in the next 3 or4 games. The one thing we do know is Clemson has made making the playoffs very difficult for themselves.

I for one believe Clemson has been in state of decline for some time. Every time they play a team with the same or nearly the same level of talent, they normally lose. This started with LSU followed by ND, OSU, and now the dawgs. What we all saw Saturday night is Clemson is not a playoff team.