Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football stock report: Kirby’s cliches resonate, new stars emerging

2»

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Last year Bennett struggled against good defenses so I hope we continue to develop the other QB's.

Absolutely we should develop the other quarterbacks. Doesn't that happen with every "other" quarterback on every team, to the best of the staff's ability to give each of them reps and time?

Specifically which defenses did Stetson struggle against, @Gawgiaboy?

As I recall he was ahead of Alabama further into the game than any other quarterback has been in recent memory.

He got hurt in the Florida game...I guess you could say he struggled after that. He was only in the game after his injury because we had nobody with his skill set, even injured, to replace him.

Maybe I'm not remembering something, but I remember him doing a very good job of it until his injury.

This is not me being ungrateful for JTD or the other players in the QB room, but we are very fortunate to have Stetson Bennett.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"apparent why Smart is in charge and fans were put in their place"

One more thought and I'll leave this be. Do you know who else is in on that 5-TD list? Joe Cox. In 2009, he went 18-25 with 375 yards and 5 TDs. It's a good comparison, because Joe Cox was/is a DGD. A true bleeds-red-and-black type of guy who always gave it his all... but not exactly an NFL Draft pick.

The media loves this, but again, where do you go from here? You know Bennett will be doing amazingly-well in Practice as he always does, so do you let him start again? And again? And again? Do you start him against Auburn? Against Florida? Against Bama in the SEC game?

Look at what happened with Mathis. We gave him a shot. We said "you're up" and we gave him the full, unrestricted opportunity... and when it didn't work out, there was no hard feelings on either side when he transferred. You HAVE to give Beck the same full opportunity to fail or there will be lingering questions when he transfers.

Bennett plays at his full "ceiling" as he did last year. He's playing at a true 4-star level... but he cannot go beyond that and that's not enough for us to go all the way. Beck may have played (in his limited snaps) at a 3-star level, but he has 5-star potential. If he can't reach that with us, but was given a shot... then that's fine: good luck to him elsewhere. But if he transfers without starting a game, then that's on Smart.