Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

How USC firing Clay Helton impacts Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 11,048 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageHow USC firing Clay Helton impacts Georgia football

USC fired head coach Clay Helton on Monday and the news will have an impact on the Georgia football program.

Read the full story here

Comments

• VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 432 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

leave our coaches alone. LOL Let us at least finish this season and see what this team can do before dismantling the coaching staff.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't see this as Lanning territory but who knows...latest I read was possible replacement targets being Lane Kiffin, James Franklin, Mike Gundy, Luke Fickell, and yes, Urban Meyer. USC is one program that is high profile and needs to get back to its former glory for the PAC-10 to remain truly relevant.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2021

Not to worry dawgs fans no one on the staff will be considered as the HC of USC

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All of this rat poison speculation get old after awhile. Let me know IF any of the UGA Coaches actually leave for another job.

• jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree but the risk is that the open slot when someone leaves for USC might be attractive to someone like Lanning. All of those places you mention would be good opportunities for a first time head coach.

• stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@jackbmatt yes there is going to be some sort of domino effect. Lanning might be considered for mid tier group of 5 school . He has neither the depth or breath of experience to be considered for any other position.

I realize this will be an unpopular position as many think he is the best DC in college football. It is the reality of the sport.

• BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

I bet they already have a contract in front of Urban Meyer.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

The reason you fire Helton now is for recruiting. USC has had a couple good recruiting years and are doing well this year. If you wait until after the season you lose most of those recruits. Now you have a chance to re-recruit the guys who are already committed. Hopefully USC doesn't take anyone from UGA's staff. Maybe they'll take somebody from aTm's staff? Hopefully the 2 DL's from GA (Miller and the 1 committed?) reconsider their interest in USC.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Shoo !! Shoo !! Stay away from our coaching staff !! Yeah I know I’m being selfish. If any of ours do go else where I wish them the very best. I just hope any departures would be after the entire season including post season. Hopefully this is the Year Of The Dawg !!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If USC is such a great job how did Helton ever become the head coach? Pete Carroll fled to the NFL just ahead of an NCAA lynch mob. Since then there has been Kiffin, Orgeron, Sarkisian, and Helton. Not exactly a who’s who of college coaching. It’s more like one embarrassment after another. Rather than building an annual competitor for championships like Kirby, my bet is the next HC at USC will be kicked to the curb in four or five years and once again we will be told what a great job USC is.

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The way I see it, ANY coaching opening can POTENTIALLY impact every team's coaching staff in the country as all are potential candidates. Even little or schools who haven't won in a long time who want to make Lanning, or Mcgee, etc a first time head coach or bigger schools who get a new head coach and want our assistants. So yes USC can impact UGA but also impact every other school in the nation. BUT so can any other school in D1 in America, or FBS or whatever they call it these days! No matter how big or how small or even if they really ****. Sure some of UGA coaches are more attractive but I do not think Monken is going anywhere before this season is over and do not think they want Lanning or McGee except as assistants and I think Mcgee will get a promotion at UGA before losing him to a promotion at another school. They will ALL be gone in the near future anyway unless Monken is really happy to stay put in Athens for awhile before moving on again. I mean they all know they aren't getting Kirby's job so of those 3 most likely only Monken may possibly be here 2-3 years from now IMO because I think Lanning and Mcgee will get decent HC offers they might accept.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is quite a connection to Luke Fickell with the AD at USC having hired him at Cincy before departing. That would be great, as I would hate to see Fickel come to the bog in Gainesville next year.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember watching videos of JT as a Freshman (back when Newman was in the picture) and I was amazed at what I saw back then. Every pass seemed to be well thought out and on the money.

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It does depend somewhat on who USC hi9res, but if you are a college recruit and have an offer from Georgia-Take It.