Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia safety Lewis Cine: ‘We’re not as good as you might think we are’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,528 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia safety Lewis Cine: ‘We’re not as good as you might think we are’

ATHENS — Lewis Cine appreciates the compliments, but he took a pass on the so-called ‘rat poison’ that the Georgia defense is a level above others.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 200 ✭✭✭ Junior

Cine is spot on. As we move further into the SEC schedule, things will get progressively more difficult. Last night, the secondary at times looked like it has for several years. Corners draped all over receivers but being physically beaten for the ball. On several plays Carolina receivers ran by or worked their way behind the secondary. Once a QB comes along that can evade the front seven & can move the pocket, we will be in a shootout or worse. Both sides of the ball need to get much better including the coaching. Smart has to let the offense develop into a juggernaut like LSU & Alabama have been the last few years.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with Cine and Kirby...the secondary is improving, getting needed game experience, but still needs to fix some things. There were only a couple of instances last night where our secondary got overrun. We've got to play aggressively on defense without drawing penalties. We did better in that regard last night. Overall, I wasn't too concerned with how the secondary played. I think they did ok.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2021

"The Georgia defensive front is certainly doing its part, something Cine said he and his fellow defensive backs greatly appreciate." My question is why did we not blitz more? SC had two very good passers and three very good recievers. Their 156 yds passing came because our D was held back (rushing only 3-4) from putting their QB's on their butts.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agreed, Lewis, especially now that Clemson looks like, dare I say it, paper tigers. Have yet to face a good offense. May the Pitt Boss crew will be the first one.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"The No. 2-ranked Bulldogs scored a 40-13 win over South Carolina on Saturday night, but the Gamecocks struck deep on four passes of more than 35 yards, totaled more than 300 yards and converted 8 of 17 times on third down." That was UGA's chink in the armor Cine was referring to. Yes, along the way, some team will see this chink and expose it. Hopefully, by then., UGA will have plugged it. UGA D kept SC from scoring time and again. Overall, JT kept the pace brisk and bombarded SC with aerials. I was relieved to see JT healthy. He does make a difference. Great win!

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Speculation here, but I believe CKS felt we could get regular consistent pressure w/o blitzing as much. This allowed for more bodies to help the secondary as they are growing into their own. When your blitz is unsuccessful you are typically leaving your CB’s on an island and they have shown they aren’t there yet.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Speed evidently doesn't have the speed, pardon the pun, to keep up with the fastest receivers. SC receivers constantly got behind our DB. Thank goodness the SC QB's missed their marks a time or two. There was very little safety help at times. Just pure man to man.

The Gamecocks were never going to systematically march down the field on us, their only hope was to score on big plays, hence all the deep tries. Not sure that's what needs to happen moving forward.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dawgs looked very good against a defensive front seven that is pretty good. The second team defense gave up the TD and neither Bama nor Fla. impressed me that much. I will tell you that the team that may gives us a scare is Arkansas.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As long as we have players with this attitude and work ethic, we're going to get much better when we need to be much better. I'm glad we didn't have florida, arkansas or auburn yesterday.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just thinking out loud and exploring this a bit...

My view is you're right, everything needs to get better including the coaching. My bet is Kirby would 100% agree. Kirby Smart and Nick Saban having in common that they are never pleased with what they see during the game. As far as I can determine (and it's early days) Georgia and Alabama may have the two best teams in college football at this point in this season, but both coaches are all about how everything needs to improve across the board. They're right and you're right.

On the other hand, maybe Kirby is just a really bad coach or somehow doesn't get the game. He isn't letting the offense develop. /s

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Jim, I can’t tell if you’re kidding or not, ha. Do you really think the offense isn’t developing?

I’ll admit I expected our O to evolve a little faster under Monken; but I think given the pandemic, and all the injuries to skill players since he’s arrived - it’s made great strides.

Curios the ways you’d like to see Kirby get out of the offenses way?

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Read again what I wrote, please...

"On the other hand, maybe Kirby is just a really bad coach or somehow doesn't get the game. He isn't letting the offense develop. /s"

Notice the sarcasm font, please.

That what this - - /s -- means. Sarcasm font.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Understood, Jim. Never seen that symbol used before in my 30+ years. I thought it probably was; but was curious if it wasn’t.

This team is nowhere near its full potential right now and is really fun to watch. I think we could be in for an exciting season if we can get/stay healthy.

Go Dawgs.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm somewhat worried about the secondary, but not massively. Don't think Amir Speed is the starter, and although all of the CB's got beat, I think they will learn and improve. Plus on the SC's touchdown, that was the second team in there and it came AFTER Milton's so-called "fumble." I say take away that fumble and Bennett's interception, and I'm thinking the score would have been more like 50-3 Dawgs. We certainly aren't "there" yet, but I think when it comes time to play Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Bama, the "real" Dawgs will show up and show out! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

After he wins a title, with the overwhelming talent disparity we have against other teams, he’ll get the nod for being a good coach. Thus far, his coaching is holding us back, not the refs or the players. These are facts.