Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football live blog: Darnell Washington and Tykee Smith target returns for Vanderbilt game

SystemSystem Posts: 10,534 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football live blog: Darnell Washington and Tykee Smith target returns for Vanderbilt game

ATHENS -- Georgia football coach Kirby Smart met with the media in person on Monday at Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I sure hope the comment about the quarterbacks warning their PT in practice is just a ploy to see to it that Daniels stays on point. I don't know what made him think putting Bennett out there against SC like he did was a good idea, but he seemed to learn his lesson from it pretty quickly. Let's hope that carries over.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I simply do not understand the thinking behind Kirby's QB rotation basing it on the prior week's practices. It just doesn't make sense to me when getting your starter out there to bring consistent leadership, continuity, etc. should be your priority. This kind of decision especially doesn't bode well when all you do is stick Bennett in for a play or a few plays and then pull him out. What good did that do for anyone? I wonder if there is something else going on that Smart is not saying. Again, Kirby obviously made the right call when he inserted Bennett over Beck against UAB. BUT, there are other instances where I don't understand or agree with the decision.

It would be great to see Smith and Washington back out there - if not against Vandy then certainly against Arkansas. Blaylock? Good grief. The guy is like a fragile piece of china. If it's not one injury, it's another with him. I feel sorry for the guy, but wonder even if he comes back will he just get injured again?

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I sure hope UGA does not draw the Referee's from the SEC pool that was at the UGA-SC, the Miss. State- Memphis, and Auburn-Penn. State games this past Saturday. UGA got robbed on a fumble call against McIntosh, his knee was down. SC was able to score a TD on their possession. Penn. State was forced to punt against Auburn on third down because the Ref's, and replay booth lost count of the downs. The most egregious call was when Memphis was awarded a punt return for a TD against Miss. State. Miss. State punted the ball to Memphis, the gunner on the punt return was able to swat the ball forward onto the field of play before it rolled into the end zone. A Miss. State player downed the ball, and as the Ref signaled timeout, but before he could blow his whistle, a Memphis player picked the ball up and scooted for a TD. No TD should have been allowed because the play should have been dead, and also Memphis had two players on the field with the same numbers on the play. What good does the replay do, other than make the games last longer?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spot on MontanaDawg. I wrote something very similar to this earlier. Keep JT in and stop this rotation for two plays stuff. Stetson deserved it, Kirby said. Well how did it work out for UGA in that particular instance?

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree with everyone else. Why does Kirby keep stirring up competition in the QB room, competition that he was quick to knock down when it came to possible competition at placekicker. Just because a backup practices well, why does that guarantee him playing time? If he's that good, then make him the starter. Does this mean that JT has to be better than Bennett or Beck in practice every week, just to hold on to the job? I just can't see the Tampa Bay Buccaneers going to Tom Brady and telling him that his backup is going to play every third series, "because he had a good week of practice." Competition was for spring and fall practice. By Kirby's own admission, JT won the job, so let him do it.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nit picking but I think it was Milton that got the erroneous fumble.

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

I get all the aggravation with Daniels coming into the game - and, I agree. But, I think that SBIV's roots and family legacy is what might be getting rewarded. Why would David Pollack have said that SBIV should be the starter if not for loyalty to the school. This may come down to valuing players that stay home and aren't gained or lost via Transfer Portal. Yes, I know SBIV transferred out and back in . . . but, he was after playing time.

At the end of the day, JT goes on the NFL and UGA was just his last stop as an amateur. SBIV will be an Atlanta lawyer or businessman or country club executive and is more likely to donate big $ to the program in the future. Call me cynical, but, the good ole boy network is the realest thing in the world.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

I have a different take on the SBIV substitution. UGA was up 14-0 and SBIV played a great game last week. I don't think JTD was 100%. JTD is the key player for success this year. Why take a chance on re-injury when SBIV should have been able to beat SC the rest of the way with a 14 pt lead? SBIV didn't have the same impact vs SC as vs UAB. CKS was forced to keep JTD in the game when SBIV came back down to earth. Thankfully JTD was kept clean most of the game.

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

IS STETSON DATING KIRBY’S DAUGHTER????

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree JTD probably wasn't/isn't 100%, so keeping him in a game unnecessarily wouldn't be prudent. But assuming a 14-point lead in the first quarter is enough, over any SEC team, but especially a rival that embarrassed highly-ranked Georgia between the hedges a few short years ago, is just plain arrogant, if not ****. Maybe 21 or more points in the 4th quarter, okay... but for ALL the reasons listed previously by others, I keep JTD in there, without interruption, as long as he's clean and until the thing is surely salted away. Go Dawgs!