Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

3 Georgia football things: Unwinding Kirby Smart’s QB rotation and other areas of concern

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
image3 Georgia football things: Unwinding Kirby Smart’s QB rotation and other areas of concern

ATHENS — The Georgia football team is focused on its noon game with Vanderbilt this week, that much the Bulldogs’ fans can be sured of.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m fine with playing multiple quarterbacks. I would play the starter until we are ready to move on to backups, but I will defer to the coaching staff’s expertise.

And on Saturday, I’d love to see JT, Stetson, Carson and Brock all throw touchdown passes. What’s the record for the number of quarterbacks on a team throwing touchdown passes in a game? Let’s break it.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

South Carolina also overthrew 3-4 deep passes that would have been scores. I certainly hope we can fix that problem because it could be disastrous against a better team. Hopefully Tykee’s return will help a lot with this issue. I agree Arkansas may lack some of the skilled players, but they will likely give us a tough battle. It will be interesting to see how the #16 Razorbacks perform against #7 Texas A&M this upcoming weekend. If Arkansas wins they could jump into the top 10 before they meet us on October 2nd. Go Dawgs!!!

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These two statements are completely different!

1) Smart said Monday he wouldn’t close the door on rotating quarterbacks

2) "Also, Smart is aware that there are games remaining where the score could get out of hand, and he certainly wants to leave the door open for options."

Obviously, no one would expect (or even agree with) that the starter would continue to play in a blowout but the correct response should've been this:

[Daniels is a rhythm passer and putting in Bennett clearly had an effect on his performance afterwards. Daniels is currently our QB and we will keep him in there until a change of pace is needed]

I know these are kids and you want to reward great practices, but you have to do what's best to win the game and acknowledge mistakes that were made even by yourself. Admit that the QB position is different and that it was a mistake to swap him out.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, you just set a record for the number of easily fixed mistakes in one article.

Go, Dawgs!

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm glad we get to face Arkansas before Florida. The Florida QB's are more athletic, but much of the Gators run success against Bama was from the power run formations. Arkansas will be a great tune-up to see where the defense is really at.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What does it really matter with what KIrby said about the QB's? Anyone with any kowledge of football knows that with a head coach anything is on the table? Kirby can and will do whatever the heck he wants to. And if he can't then who is calling the shots? He's not going to rule out completely anything. Why should he?

If JT can't go or if he's not throwing it well because of injury then of course everything is still on the table. BUt if JT is healthy and playing up to his ability(which is more than an other QB currently) then the only reason he might take JT out is to get Stetson some reps, just in case JT can't go in the future. You want a guy with experience if your main guy goes down. THis isn't rocket science.

Stetson's not starting a game because JT had a bad practice or two. He's just not. THis is not that fluid. at this point it's about what transpires on game day-unless someone is injured. WIth one excerption perhaps, the O-Line. They ae a work in progress, but not the QB's.

• GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

All things considered...I am more concerned about Georgia run blocking than I am about who will be the quarterback or the secondary. The secondary gave up explosive. A lot of teams do. An explosive play can happen on a 6 yard slant, which Alabama and Florida proved true last year. But if we can't run the ball, then we will become one dimensional. That will give up more possession to the opposition, that will impact the outcome of the game. More possession means more opportunities. An explosive play here and there will not determine anything unless it is in the final minutes of a game. As long as Georgia can control the ball, it will limit what a team can do.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I'm not mistaken, we ran for nearly 200 yards last week against a decent front (and with our final run-heavy drive ended prematurely by an inexplicable fumble review decision), with the OL still being a work in progress. A good chunk of that yardage was straight up the middle. I think we had guys averaging 6-7 yards a carry. Against Clemson, they ran out the last 5 minutes when the defense knew it was coming. I'm not all that worried about the run blocking, especially as the passing offense proceeds in establishing itself. I think we're going to see fewer loaded boxes as the season wears on. Which brings me to my next point that even in an offense that likes to run the ball, the quarterback is still the single most important position. I was a *little* concerned over the previous quote from Smart, talking about practice results factoring into the decision of which QB to play. I feel better seeing the clarification today that that was apparently about Daniels' health status, as evaluated over the course of the week. (Not sure if that was actually clarified or if I just misinterpreted the first quote, but either way.)

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 482 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's obvious that the offence line needs to be more physical, push the defensive line off the ball especially on 3rd down. 😎

• GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ok, run blocking was decent one game out of three. And I don't think South Carolina front was all that good. Media hype that you bought into. Have Georgia run blocking shown enough to indicate it will be sustainable through the remainder of the season? You mentioned passing offense, which we threw five touchdowns and stretched the field against UAB and still couldn't run the ball. Hmm. I hope it all works out.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2021

I think the new rules are you'd have to play in five games, before losing a redshirt. As long as Brock plays in 4, or less, he can still redshirt.

• Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2021

‘More athletic’ means getting pushed around at the point of attack. Unless constantly pulling, it doesn’t work. And we are a power run team. The 2 don’t go together. Give me Pittmans line of 330lb roadgraders any day.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When that was the MO, people complained they were too big and slow for today's game. Now that there's a different approach being taken, people want the ol' road graders back.