Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Ryder Cup 2021

TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How ‘bout UGA’s Harris English winning his debut match yesterday to stake the US team to a 6-2 lead?

Funniest quote so far:

”And THAT’S Florida State’s first win this year!” 

- Paul Azinger, commenting on the Brooks Koepka/Daniel Berger Ryder Cup match play win yesterday (both golfers played at FSU together)

Go Team USA! Go Dawgs!

Tagged:

Comments

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ryder Cup is a great event. It's my #3, after the Masters and the British.

• SWDawg68SWDawg68 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agusta and St Andrew's or Royal Troon, perfect setting for something incredible!

I did go to the Ryder Cup, the Europeans beat us and we were up 5 1/2 points on Sunday, they won almost every singles and it was over! No energy and before it was over, a lot people just left. I guess it was the largest deficit ever overcome by a Ryder Cup team!

Davis Love, who was the captain at the time was in a state of shock! Haven't been to one since!

Looks like we are getting setup again! Up 6-2!!

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Got to make many of those 6-12 foot putts. That’s often the match difference.

No letdown this time. Instead a record breaking beat down by Team USA 🇺🇸.

Go Dawgs.

Bulletin Board material for 2023 in Rome. Somebody should post this on Patrick Cantlay’s locker:

"There's not a lot between the two sides. In matches, there's not been a runaway score walking down the last few holes. It's a little bit of luck here and there and who holes the putts when it's necessary."

— Lee Westwood, likely next European team captain

Bump. Europe wins on home soil again. Same as usual. Euros played great on a course that better fits their games and that they regularly play. US team didn’t play so well on a course that didn’t fit their strengths.

Next time around? New York City at the public Black course at Bethpage. What an incredible environment for Ryder Cup 2025!

• swilkerson7317swilkerson7317 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Apropos its in NYC since the PGA tour belongs to the Saudis now.

Hopefully they don't knock down buildings and kill thousands of innocent people this time around.

If I was the Saudi Prince, who owns American golf now, I wouldn't show up to NYC to check out the place.

Those people haven't forgotten.

• donniemdonniem Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, we've got friends in low places. where no whiskey flows and no beer chases one's blues away

• BumBum Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ryder Cup lost some of its appeal this year. Political picks by the company man Johnson. There is zero question that DeChambeau is one of the 12 best American golfers.

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wouldn’t have mattered. We could’ve played 3 against 2 in some of those matches and lost. Europe played great and we didn’t. One player wouldn’t have mattered at all. They were winning this one. They have the 3 hottest players on tour in Rahm, hovland, Rory. Our best guys were not playing good coming into it. It’s easy to second guess though. I mean scheffler and Koepka got beat 9 and 7 and in another match Europe birdied 7 of first 8 holes. We were not beating them there this year with anybody

• BumBum Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

I’m not concerned with the result. The men involved showed everyone they don’t really care about the Ryder Cup like they claim. Same on European side. Stenson was their captain until his judgement could no longer be trusted lol

edited October 2023

While there was political tension leading up to this year’s event, I can’t see that the players don’t care. The Euros have fun whether they win or lose, and Scheffler was in tears after losing badly 9-7.

My 2 cents? In 2018 the US team flew straight to Paris after the Tour Championship and everyone, especially Tiger, looked exhausted before the first match started, sleepwalking through most of it. This time, it’s been 5 weeks since anyone played a tournament and everyone looked rusty.

Some kind of balance between being rested and sharp would help, but it really boils down to who hits better shots and holes more putts (eg Rahm chips in from everywhere including the steps of the Vatican). Europe played out of their minds, even the younger guys, much like the USA team did in 2021 in a record 19-9 victory. See ball, hit ball, knock ball in hole.

• DawgwiredDawgwired Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, agreed. I find it funny that they are blaming Zach Johnson for the loss. I think he did a good job of keeping them focused and at least made it interesting during singles. But to me the captain matters little. It has more to do with where they’re playing and who plays well. Number 1 player in the world didn’t win one match. I believe that’s never happened. Europe played great though and wasn’t going to lose. Homa and cantlay were the two standouts for USA. Got to have more than two to win the cup.

edited October 2023

A good book recommendation is Paul Azinger’s “Cracking the Code” about leading the 2008 Ryder Cup team. I have worked with his co-author Dr. Ron Braund, who was in the captain’s cart with Paul and helped him with motivating and managing his players. Those in leadership that like golf would probably enjoy it. Gives good insight into controlling what you can and not micro-managing.

edited October 2023

What an incredible environment for Ryder Cup 2025!

The last time Saudi Crown Prince employees were in NYC it wasn't such an incredible environment.

The Saudis can fund terrorists. Those terrorists then attack America and destroy two iconic buildings in NYC. Killing thousands of innocent American's. 20 years later roughly an American institution PGA Tour says hey no problem we don't care we will take your blood money.

And then they all have a big laugh and a tournament right down the road from where they knocked down the twin towers.

What a sad commentary on the world today.

Its a remarkable victory for the Saudi Royal family though. I imagine they have a huge laugh about it every day.

We knocked down their buildings killing thousands....and how did the Americans react? By deposing Sadaam our enemy LOL. Then twenty years later they welcome us back with open arms......and wait for the punchline....in the very city where we killed all those Americans!!!!! Can you beleive it!!!!

Gotta be funny from their perspective.

I was a leaderboard volunteer at Bethpage for the 2002 US Open. In the grand scheme of things it was just a golf tournament, but it was quite an experience, especially in the wake of the terrible events of 9/11. The people of New York were great and welcomed this southerner with the funny accent into the first championship ever played at a public course.

edited October 2023

I would expect pretty big protests in 2025 when the Saudi Tour squares off against the Europeans.

In NYC of all places. Im sure that was decided well before the Saudis bought the PGA Tour.

They really should think seriously about moving it. Maybe just move it to Riyadh.

They can still let guys pretend to be American over there without all the protests. You don't have to worry about journalist there either. If they get out of line the Saudis will just have them killed.