Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

An honest assessment of the Georgia football quarterback situation before Kentucky

2»

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s been proven that we can win with either Stetson or JT at QB. I support both! What I don’t support is naming a starter then pulling the starter even if he has the offense operating on all cylinders to give the non-starter a series.

In today’s game, every series is precious and needs to result in points. If the starter is being ineffective to the point he needs to be replaced, insert number two. But, don’t kill momentum by inserting number two for no other reason than to give him entitlement snaps. It didn’t work with Fromm/Fields and it won’t work with Daniels/ Bennett.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you @Classof98. I think what Connor meant to say in his opening sentence is "entertain," but he probably believes people have been saying "ascertain." Jeez, Connor needs to take the advice of Tennessee's old radio voice, the late John Ward, and get a command of the English language. It would help him become a MUCH BETTER writer. I'll throw Jeff Sentell in that group, too. His stuff is downright unreadable. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is a good point. I think we got a glimpse of how that might fail when Bennett came in briefly in the first half against SC. Bennett looked off, and it disrupted Daniels' timing...it took a while for Daniels to get going again. Going way back, I still say going with a Greene/Shockley tandem lost the game against the Gators and possibly a national title in 2002.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

I'm the lonely down vote on this, and I stand by it. If I wasn't aware of your previous comments on the subject, I would have thought this one was satire.

Before I go any further, I'll preface the rest of what I'm about to say with my typical disclaimer: I like Bennett. He's playing well this year, and I'm glad he decided to stay at Georgia. I want to be crystal clear about that, because I know some of you are going to want to misinterpret what I say next as bashing him. That is not at all my intent.

The pro-Bennet argument about what he did last year against Bama and Florida is ridiculous. Yes, he played well in the first half against Bama. So did the defense. And yes, the defense played poorly in the second half against Bama. So did Bennett. I will never see any validity in giving Bennett all the credit for the halftime lead and the defense all the blame for the loss, yet that is the claim that keeps coming up. Can you honestly say that if it were Daniels or Beck who imploded in the second half of another loss to Bama, finishing the game with more incompletions than completions and more interceptions than touchdowns, you'd still be bringing it up a year later to say what an impressive performance it was? Of course not.

And, arguably, the stuff about the Florida game makes even less sense. I always hear about how "Bennett gave" Georgia a 14-0 lead. Nothing about White running it 75 yards on the first play of the game, or the guys who blocked for him. Nothing about the defense holding Florida scoreless up to that point. Nope. It was all Bennett. Even in your post, BubbaBill, in which you're emphasizing the team nature of the sport in defense of an individual player, you STILL gave that one player all the credit for a team achievement ("the 14 point lead he had over the Gators").

Again, I like Bennett. I root for him when he's in the game. This isn't really even about him. I saw someone below mention the use of the word "honest" in the headline. After having seen these absurd talking points ad nauseum over the last month, I thought the specific inclusion of that word was fitting.

Go Bennett. Go Daniels. GO DAWGS.

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 122 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dawgnation don't do analysis...just a regurgitation of information from other sources repackaged as new news. Go to Emerson at The Athletic for analysis.

• Options
    G2ADG2AD Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore

This is by far the best article I’ve read on the subject. Bennett suffers from being the embodiment of fans mistrust for Uga’s handling of the QB position. Like Connor said current and past handling was largely forced by circumstances. On the other hand, it’s hard to believe that undersized plucky players would start on uga’s defense. As such, some fan’s perceive that Kirby strives from excellence on the defensive side of the ball, but still has a lower standard for the offense.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great article! Thank you for the clarity. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow !! I Love how you worded this !! You said after post season play decide who you like behind or under center and you said without disliking either !! You stated we should pull for whichever is in the game to have the best game they can !! Amen !! That’s exactly how I feel !! And I believe countless other Dawgs fans !! BOTH JT and Stets are competitors !! BOTH are team players !! BOTH are very good QBs !! BOTH want to lead the Dawgs to highest levels possible !! JT can’t help that he’s injured. Stets can’t go back in time and take back any Ints he threw. If it wasn’t for the possibility of upsetting the rhythm of Either of our QBs I wouldn’t be opposed to playing BOTH !! The only thing is speaking strictly FOR ME I don’t think I’d have a absolute time and amount of snaps. If JT is in and his hot, let him alone, if he starts missing some bring in Stets, or same thing in reverse !! Opposing teams would have to have Full practices for Both !! When JT is healthy he’s very good. When Stets is healthy he’s very good. If we’re in a “Big game” and one or the other runs into trouble bring the other guy in !! I would mention something about the past but I’d never hear the end of it from Some Dawgs fans. Your very reasonable in your comments !!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

While I would take a healthy JT over a healthy SB. I would take a healthy SB over a JT struggling with throwing the ball because of a nagging injury involving his throwing muscles. SB can beat kY no doubt about it. I think he can beat FLA because the team we surround him with is better than last years's team. My only concern is with BAMA. They beat Stetson and frustrated him in the second half with batted down passes.

I would prefer a healthy JT in that game. BUt it's go DAWGS! either way.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@reddawg1 here we differ on the quarterback situation. If I had to chose between Daniels and Bennett as my quarterback option for the entire season I would chose Bennett because he is probably going to start and play more games than Daniels. I would rather have Bennett-Beck than Daniels-Beck only because Beck would have played in more games than Daniels.