Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart updates Georgia QB situation, effective run game key for Stetson Bennett

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart updates Georgia QB situation, effective run game key for Stetson Bennett

ATHENS — Georgia football coach Kirby Smart isn’t ready to speculate on how he will handle the quarterback situation once JT Daniels returns to full health, per his comments on the SEC teleconference.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Is Stetson Bennett getting any of that big NIL money? JT Daniels is set, but Bennett deserves some good $ too.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“I can’t control any of those (rotation) things you are talking about,” he said.

This statement is not true at all. Kirby Smart has full control over whether the quarterbacks will rotate. He may not control the health of anyone, but he controls who plays, how much they play and when they play. (Ask Carson Beck). Not arguing for or against a rotation system (though I don't think I favor it), just saying that Kirby controls every facet of the Georgia program, including what kind of quarterback system is used. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great observation and Key stat! JT’s performance on third down is special. I can’t recall anyone who has performed as well on third down as he has given time. Stetson might get the nod though if the OL has trouble.

• Options
    Billy21Billy21 Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the Postal Service is working on a new deal for him. 😎

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigFan...I was going to comment in the same manner as you, but since you already have I won't just repeat it. But, I will add my two cents...I've said this before recently....the Dawgs haven't played from behind or had to use their passing game to win at all this season in any game. Will KY load the box and make us pass? As long as we've had enough of a running game (at times better than others) then we've been able to move the ball and win. But few teams are going to survive for very long against other elite teams going 2 for 14 passing on 3rd downs!! That's probably not going to cut the mustard. KY and FL may test us in this respect. We'll just have to see how we fare - especially if we have to play in a game where we are trailing. That's one of the reasons why I wish we had gone to a bit more passing in the previous games even if we didn't need to do so. But, that's just how I see it in the rear view mirror. The efficiency of our run game and our defense has made this a mute point so far.

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not every head coach micro-manage their coordinators, unless absolutely necessary. So far, it's not even anywhere near necessary. If you don't trust your coordinators, then why hire them?

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting article and impressive stats, but stats can lie. I’m a huge JT fan and really want him to heal and get back on the field so please understand I’m not putting him down. But, we need to appreciate several issues before totally buying into the statistics. First, was there a difference in the competition the 2 QBs faced? The answer is a resounding YES. I know Clemson at one point was a great defense on paper, but they are mediocre and not ranked in the top 25 today in several polls. I’m impressed with JT’s stat where he’s 9 for 9 on 3rd down conversions, but our team conversions are about equal no matter which QB is leading the team…..and that’s the stat we should focus on. In fact, we had around 40% conversions against Clemson so the 100% (9 for 9) statistic is perplexing. I have no qualms with JT being better converting 3rd downs passing, but what about Stetson ripping-off a 30 yard gain on 3rd and 3…..and it’s not the first time he’s done that this year. My point is we should focus on everything and not judge our QB by a single statistic. Have you noticed that our rushing attack is much better when Stetson is leading the team? Just some food for thought. Go Dawgs and go JT and Stetson!!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have a good feeling about this game. I see the defense containing KY QB much more than they did Bo Nix. The OL should perform just as admirably, giving Zeus, Cook and Milton ample space to go through the gears. Stets, I guess, will loft a few against KY's defensive backs and that will keep things honest. DL has to stop two very good KY running backs as well. They have dominated every team KY has played. Again, UGA has the edge here with the nation's #1 defense (IMO). I cannot see UGA losing this battle between two unbeatens.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This intrigued me… I ran some numbers.

FYI- “conversion rate” = (total 3rd downs converted + total 4th downs converted/total 3rd downs attempted). I thought it best to use this metric because really, it doesn’t matter if we miss on 3rd down if we subsequently convert on 4th. This metric provides an accurate representation of overall conversion efficiency.

JT = 52% conversion rate; 0/1 on 4th down

Bennett = 48% conversion rate; 5/8 on 4th down

I don’t know if theres enough data on JT to judge 4th down success; but as you stated, we do know Stetson can use his wheels for big gains on 3rd down.

At the end of the day, I think we are good with both guys; but it may be more fun to watch it happen with JT at the helm.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ddavis0777,

Good analysis. Too bad we can’t figure out a way to factor in the level of competition the QBs faced. Bottom line is we need leaders and I think JT and Stetson both check that box. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

HAs UGA ever lost a game that JT started?

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

It has never hurts a quarterback to have a good running game and a strong defense. Bennett has proven he can answer the call. One never knows if Daniels will be there when needed.

• Options
    BG522BG522 Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore

First off, I have no problem with Bennett I'm happy he's having success, but at the same time I don't think he's the QB that JT is. The only thing that I'm hoping is that Kirby is being straight up about all this because I'd really hate to see Bennett get into trouble and be struggling against one of these next teams, and JT be pissed about all this and decide no I'm not going in you say I'm hurt so I can't take that chance. I know that's off the wall but I just don't like or understand why Kirby can't just say what's going on here.