Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Lombardi Award slight shows the perception of Georgia football yet to catch up to reality

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageLombardi Award slight shows the perception of Georgia football yet to catch up to reality

ATHENS — Georgia football holds the No. 1 spot in the nation, but it’s fair to say there are plenty who are either not aware or not convinced.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm speechless!

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't believe these awards improve a players draft stock. Most NFL teams are to good at evaluating talent to get caught up by award status. Is it a slap in the players face, yes, maybe it will motivate them to play at an even higher level. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

/\

This!

Great article, Mike! Appreciate your fever and passion in this story! This omission is outrageous !

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hmmm....Houston....A&M.....Defensive Lineman Hype....Bear Alexander?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What stigma is upon the Dawgs? Take time to earn respect on a national level? Kidding, right? Well, let's see how this all turns around after UGA takes the natty. Unbelievable.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well…. I think it’s time to get their attention and make their omission an embarrassment for them.

sic ‘em Dawgs!

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Davis, Jalen Carter and Salyer should all be on the list.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jalen Carter, Davis and Salyer won't escape notice of NFL teams. I think all 3 will be 1st rd picks when they come out.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just shows how ignorant some people can be. I’m sure this info has been made aware of around the Georgia team.

• Options
    SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

A lot of the voters are probably looking at stats and as Brandon Adams pointed out the other day our defense is not on the field enough to accumulate stats. To heck with them...time to let the Big Dawgs Eat!!!

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like the Media doesn't like being wrong?

2021 Preseason All SEC 1st Team Defense: Georgia - 1. Alabama - 6.

DL: Jordan Davis, Georgia

DL:Phidarian Mathis, Alabama

DL:Kingsley Enagbare, South Carolina

*DL:Zachary Carter, Florida

*DL: DeMarvin Leal, Texas A&M

LB: Henry To'o To'o, Alabama

LB: Christian Harris, Alabama

LB: Will Anderson Jr., Alabama

DB: Derek Stingley Jr., LSU

DB: Josh Jobe, Alabama

DB:Malachi Moore, Alabama

DB: Kaiir Elam, Florida

It's more like Georgia - 6. Alabama - 1.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The people who masquerade as “experts” in the world of college football are a joke. These are the same folks that vote Iowa, Oklahoma, and Cincinnati as the second, third, and four best teams in the nation, while grudgingly voting the Dawgs, the best team and it’s not even close, number one!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

I'm 51 and I've been aware of the negativity around UGA football as long as I can remember.

I don't know what it is about Georgia sports teams, but the disdain is there.

I remember Jack Buck and Tim McCarver in the '91 WS and their dislike of the Braves was palpable.

So a player leaves our team because he isn't good enough to get steady reps and he transfers and becomes a Lombardi trophy finalist???

You can't make this up!!!

All I can say is that I've always considered UGA the good guys, and that's for a reason!

Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    AMIDawgMarkMAMIDawgMarkM Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

That is truly unbelievable! An absolute disgrace to the players who lead our team, and a slap in the face to the Georgia program. Not a lot gets under my skin, but this? I’m really pissed.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It will never stop with the uga animosity. Until we are hoisting a trophy at the end of the year, we'll never be "good enough". Alabama could have the #1 offense with the #90 defense and still have award winners and 1st round draft picks from the defense. As long as they're gonna hoist a trophy, that's all the media cares about.

• Options
    edited October 2021

Atta boy, Loran!

Tim McCarver could not hide his animosity towards the Braves in 1991, especially when Deion Sanders poured liquid on him during a locker room interview. What reporter/announcer would be in a clinching locker room and think he would not get wet? Just showed his negative feelings towards our team.

Although, we are getting Game Day and SEC Nation at our game this weekend, I agree that the national pundits still don't think as much of Georgia as they should. Kirk H. was still saying "well, the Auburn Tigers miiiiight give the Dawgs a game".

See how that turned out. Guarantee you he will say the same thing about Kentucky!

And to @SCDawgFan's point, I agree that our D line players are not in the game accumulating stats towards the end of the game because THEY HAVE NOT HAD TO BE!! When they are in there, the lack of opponent's offense is undeniable due to Davis, Wyatt and Walker. Hooo Boy! And not to forget Dean, N. Smith, Carter, Adamson, Q. Walker, Tindall, Cine, C. Smith , Brini, Ringo. ALL of these players are major contributors to our Defense' rankings Any one of them should be mentioned in the same breath as the players listed in the article.

But as @SmartsTheMan says, the "experts" just don't like to be proven wrong! We all thought (or, at least I did) that when the pre-all SEC list came out and only J. Davis was mentioned, that the game play throughout the season would elevate our players to the attention of the various awards committees and that they would get their just due. We even have a JD2NYC thread on the Dawgnation Forum! Apparently, the pundits thereon have their own agenda!

Finally, J. Johnson with FSU is a stout player and we hated to lose him, but his play v. our linebacker play cannot be similarly compared. We sack, we steamroll, we TFL we QB pressure as a TEAM!, each player complementing the other.

Well, I have ranted enough. But at the end of the year, everyone will be saying ..............Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The best response is to simply come out Saturday and dominate. And then keep on doing it week after week. I sure do hope this omission will serve as extra motivation for our D-Line against Kentucky's O-Line Saturday because I do think that's where the game's outcome will be determined. Go Dawgs!

• Options
  • Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

By the way, that highly respected Bama front seven are the same bunch that allowed A&M to drive down the field for the game tying TD then again, for the game winning FG after being handled by the A&M offensive line most of the game. A&M started two freshman OL and a second string QB. Don’t think that would happen with the Dawg’s front seven, but I am no “expert”!