Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Mark Stoops: Why Kentucky called timeout to land final punch on scoreboard in 30-13 loss

SystemSystem Posts: 10,494 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageMark Stoops: Why Kentucky called timeout to land final punch on scoreboard in 30-13 loss

ATHENS — Mark Stoops, like any other coach, always believes his team could have played better.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Seemed an unnecessary risk for both Kentucky players and Georgia players. I hope UGA remembers that next year.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think I've ever seen a ranked team concede the game, with what was it 8 minutes remaining, in favor of a methodically choreographed scoring drive.

I'm not criticizing Stoops. He knew the game was out of reach, and instead of playing as fast as possible and likely getting no points, he decided to put everything into getting a final TD. The next time they need one score in the final minutes, they can look back at the drive against GA and have confidence that they can get it done.

Kentucky has a great shot at going 11-1.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm surprised the 5 weekend fun police let Kirby's negative comments in without insulting him for it. Their agenda seems to be to prod posters to have maximum fun, even if they have to pick fights to achieve it.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pretty much every team tries to make the score look a bit more respectable by scoring late, I've got no problem with how UK's staff handled their last drive. Reading between the lines I'm guessing Dan Lanning wanted to be more aggressive though, I agree with him. I get Kirby's reasoning, I just hate giving up late scores for 2 reasons. It shows up on our season stats and it ends games on a bit of a sour note.

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I do believe Stoops will regret that TO next year. Kirby will stash that away and make KY feel the hurt next year. But hey at least Stoops can say he tied S. Carolina for the most points against the Dawgs😂

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

1 score WAS NOT going to alter the outcome.. Nice try coach Stoopid. I hope the next team that gets that same chance against you, piles it on. Kentucky a football school 😂 you aren't even a top level basketball school anymore. A coach about as classy as tennessee fans trashing their own field. You'd think after several years of awful teams in that trash dump Knoxville, they'd be accustomed to losing.. As I've said many times.."Clowns look good in Orange"

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 141 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well within his rights to do that, but well within our rights to remind him about it next year. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

32 of 42 passing sounds really good until you analyze how many of those throws were for zero or negative yards. Let's stop the "Stoopid" stuff. Mark is a very capable coach, and this moniker is best reserved for the guy in the mirror trying to be cute!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

How so? 1 TD will not alter this season. Kentucky will not win the SEC East, regardless how many irrelevant TD's they score. Kentucky 11-1? Laughable!! Vote it down repeatedly, not my problem, I'll lose no sleep over it. I have as much right to voice an opinion as you do. If you don't like it, that's your right also. Not everyone thinks alike, if they did, it would be a very boring world to live in. I don't like Mark Stoops, or his brother Bob, never have.. And I'm sure both stoops brothers could care less how I feel about them.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bennett was 14-of-20 passing for 250 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Kentucky QB Will Levis, meanwhile, was 32 of 42 for 192 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Tales in the tape. Stets "Mailman" Bennett delivered those big parcels again.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sorry we gave up those last 6 points but I can't criticize or feel bad towards Coach Stoops for calling time out. That's what I would want and expect from Kirby if things were reversed. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Total Di** move that Kirby will remember. The clock would have run out and instead Stoops stops the clock to score meaningless points. I was hoping we would grab a fumble and run it back.

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2021

It was a strange ending indeed, and I agree with others that UK had every right to do what they did. Having said that, I've never seen a team down by 3 scores run such a long and methodical drive (11:23) to end a game. The Dawgs defense pushed them to play that way, but UK's lack of desperation shows they had conceded the game and were just playing for pride. Also, I add will that a lot of money changed hands on that last play, and it's hard to believe that wasn't in the back of Stoops head, ha. The drama at the end almost felt like the "game within the game" as the outcome had long been determined.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We unintentionally hurt one of their players a couple of plays before so I think calling the TO was ridiculous. Poor loser is what it showed. Take your whooping and go home. Even the sec final show guys questioned it.

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

The only reason Kentucky scored that last TD, was because Kirby had a big lead, if Kirby had been in a closer game, Kirby would have played defense a lot different, it was a cheap meaningless score, that did not change the out come of the game, just to make Stoops feel better about his team, which he shouldn't, because he still loss by 17 points, even with the last TD, and the only thing Stoops proved was he needed to play four down football in order to score on Kirby's defense, at the end, because he sure wasn't going to do it with three downs.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm OK with it. Could possibly help them statistically down the road. Georgia won and MAN I hope Kirby just does walk throughs and conditioning this week. Let these guys heal up.

• Options
    Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2021

What’s all the fuss? Their job is to score and ours is to stop them. Everyone is acting like they should have taken a knee. They were losing, not winning. It’s called pride, competing to the end, finishing the drill, for those who’ve never competed. Jeeez.

• Options
    NJEricNJEric Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

So far as I am concerned Georgia landed the last punch with the blocked extra point!

• Options
    TomTom Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Why didn’t the ref’s call intentional grounding when the Kentucky quarterback was in the grasp. They got hung up on fumble or incomplete pass and missed the penalty.