Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football report card: Bulldogs pass, second-half surge in 30-13 win over Kentucky

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football report card: Bulldogs pass, second-half surge in 30-13 win over Kentucky

ATHENS — Georgia football is the No. 1 team in the country, and deservedly so after maintaining a perfect record in the SEC.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Rick1049Rick1049 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Offensive line grade of C+ should be reconsidered. In higlights the pass protection and pockets provided Bennett with the time to find open receivers. B or B+.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

I'd give the O-Line a solid B in its ability to protect Stet and open up the run finally, but I would give the pass rush part of the defense a C- to D+ (whatever category of defense you want to put that in). Nevis had all day to throw strikes to his receivers against a pretty green Dawg secondary. If we don't get a consistent pass rush on any elite passing team going forward then we lose our advantage in the secondary with the lack of experienced talent we have back there. We've been able to contain opponent's passing games with a good pass rush. This has to continue.

The halftime adjustments for the offense were HUGE. I was starting to worry by the end of the first half with the conservative play calling and wondering where the heck our Monken offense had hidden. Glad to see it come out in force in the 2nd half!

Special Teams D? Heck, we blocked a FG and an extra point......sure, Podlesny muffed a kicked and Jackson bobbled a couple of balls, but we never gave up the football. I'd give it a C+ at least.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This article gets a D minus.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How often does a team block two kicks in the same game? And it doesn't even warrant a mention in the grading? Come on, Mike.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chip Towers, please come back to Dawg Nation!!

• Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Beat Florida. Beat Florida brutally. Give them nightmares after the game. Beat them mercilessly. Destroy them. Set a record (and I know we've beat them 77-0 before) BEAT FLORIDA!!!.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Others mentioned it, but I'll pile on. I don't see how Special Teams gets a "C" (although I'll say, AGAIN, that Podlesny is more liability than asset), when we blocked a field goal and an extra point and we didn't ever turn the ball over. Also, why give the secondary a "C" when you acknowledge that it had "no big plays given up?" Hard to take their grade down for no turnovers (the entire defense is responsible for those). And it's not like Ringo was badly beaten all over the place -- the defense was playing soft by intent. And finally, while I don't disagree with the grade, I don't agree that Stoops and Co. outcoached Kirby and Co. Making key halftime adjustments that turn the tide of a game IS COACHING, and it shouldn't be denigrated. Go Dawgs!

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior

That’s Mike “Peter Griffin” Griffith for you. He truly hates covering UGA and wishes he was still covering Tennessee Bc the fans were use to being always down and out and embraced the negative. A (D) grade for special teams after to blocks, get the F out of here Peter. Please actually do research before you just type BS for click bait! Sincerely all of DawgNation!

• BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Split hairs all you want w/grades but this game was not the dominate, focused, merciless effort you expect from a championship team. KY needed a 4th Qtr TD to beat a woeful Mizzou, squeaked by UTC by 5 pts, narrowly escaped SC by 6 & should have lost to the Gators. This game should have been over by halftime. The offensive strategy early was to insure Bennett did not lose the game with snother late or forced pass or turnover. The "not a strategy", 11+ min 22 play TD drive by KY to end the game was not only embarrassing, it sent the wrong msg to the team & provided a blueprint to FL, MO, TN, Tech & likely Bama on how to attack this defense. The difference in this game was one of the best heads-up plays in years by Milton, the D-line, & KY narrowly missing out on several huge plays. The Dawgs need to refocus & rekindle the dominate killer instinct that whether from coaching, focus or lack of effort took a game off against an average KY team. With trip's to J'ville & K'ville over the next few weeks, the Dawgs #1 ranking & championship dreams may end in a nightmarish way if they have another effort like this past Sat. Heal up, refocus & let's leave no doubt who the best team in the country is over the rest of the way!!

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I only began following DawgNation this year. I didn’t truly understand all the negative comments concerning Mike until I read this ridiculous article. Garbage, IMHO. 😬

• GhostofMunsonGhostofMunson Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

It’s nothing new. He has zero real knowledge of football. The o line and secondary at a C+. Are you joking?

We ran for 166 yards on 27 carries. That’s 6.1 a carry against a good defense into the strongest part of that defense. Plus, gave up only 1 sack with hardly any pressures. But yeah, focus on a few negative plays, which will happen every game because sometimes a defense “guesses” right. Shocking, I know.

As for the secondary, UK threw 42 passes and completed 32 of them for 192 yards. Let that sink in for a minute. Less than 200 yards on 32 freaking completions. That’s great secondary and overall defensive play. Take away the long ball and then come and allow practically zero run after the catch. For bonus points, look at their #1 receiver’s stat line. The only legitimate complaint about the defense on Saturday was giving up 3rd down conversion, and even then it wasn’t even that bad considering UK had about one million 3rd down attempts. I could of course get into small details about things to improve from Saturday, but overall that was a great defensive game.

The coaching grade? I don’t get the conservative angle here. We were throwing the ball on the last offensive possession, but whatever.

What a joke of an article. The only person who didn’t notice this was a total dismantling was the guy who wrote this. Wow.

• Alexander_the_LateAlexander_the_Late Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Junior

If you're going to call out Kelee Ringo, and you did, then you should give a better reason for it than "he was targeted" and "didn't give up any big plays". Neither of those is even a reason to call someone out. How many receptions did he allow in man coverage? How many tackles did he miss? How many times was he out of position? Mike, if you're going to call out a DB, those are numbers you must provide. Basically, all you did was say, "Kelee was busy, so he sucks. Now let me call Dan Jackson 'adequate' without explanation for that description." It's bs, Mike. Most of the time you're doing a great job, but this is definitely not "playing to the standard."

• 10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 250 ✭✭✭ Junior

Shame on you Mike, for giving an honest assessment on how you would grade the game. I say that facetiously of course, because I for one appreciate not seeing things from a totally homerism perspective. I too, didn't see the focus, attention to detail and execution we've seen in the previous games. I believe that, if Stoops had the talent UGA has, it would be a "Dawg Fight" to the finish. I also believe, and have faith, that won't be an issue for the UF game. If that's not the case Mike, you and I will need to go down to the Book Store and take advantage of the two for one deal on Red and Black glasses.

• UGADawg85UGADawg85 Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Thanks Mike. I happen to agree with you on all your gradings, although I may have given Receivers a B+ because Brock had a huge play negated by a GA holding penalty, right? Regardless, I think you nailed it on where the Dawgs are at now. The future is bright though, gotta wear shades.