Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Around the SEC: Georgia football a level above, but Alabama rising once more

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageAround the SEC: Georgia football a level above, but Alabama rising once more

ATHENS — It’s Georgia football and the rest of college football after the Bulldogs dispatched Kentucky, pulling away after an **** first half for a 30-13 win.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ala who? Florida is our next opponent and I guarantee they will be up for this game.

• Options
    dawg4lyfedawg4lyfe Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

We needed this off week... Not just to prepare for Floriduh, but to get our guys healthier. It's amazing how much our guys have been decimated with injuries. (Do we need to find another Strength and Conditioning Coach??) But if Georgia is 100%, or close to it, going into these last few games, there's no reason they can't win it all! Go Dawgs.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2021

It's only fitting that we should have to go through Alabama to win a CFP Title. If UGA should do it, it would mean so much more.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Bama is the weakest they have been in many years but that's all relative. Texas A&M beat Bama, and the Aggies were beaten by that same Bulldog team that Bama crushed Saturday. Go figure. The Gators almost beat Bama just a couple of weeks ago, and LSU beat those same Gators this weekend. The Gators gave up 321 yards on the ground to LSU. College football at its wackiest.

Bryce Young is cool as a cucumber but clearly has weaknesses. I really do hope we play Bama in December. The one thing I didn't see from our defense Saturday was an effective and consistent pass rush. Nevis had way too much time to throw strikes down the field. We'll definitely need the pass rush to help out the inexperience in our secondary.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Florida may be up for this game...but they do not have the horses and seem disjointed right now. Three losses has them perplexed. UGA has the horses and is not perplexed. UGA, to me, seems focused and can plainly see what lies ahead of them. They will be ready in J-Ville.

Mike...It is good Bama has resurged. UGA will win this one with no excuses. You do want UGA to win, right, Mike?

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kiffin played the Tennessee fans like a fiddle! The next home game for UT is Georgia.

Hopefully, they won't act like spoiled children when the Dawgs give them their whipping.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Better stay focused on Florida. This game is their entire season... a win against UGA at #1 makes those **** losses almost tolerable. They have more talent than 80% of the SEC (albeit crappy coaches), and the game is in their back yard. Hunker down you hairy dawgs!

• Options
    georgiajeepn2019georgiajeepn2019 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yup Alabama got a big uptick after playing the always tough Mississippi State Bullpuppies. Meanwhile the real Bulldogs had to play the 11th ranked team in the nation. We don't get to play a crappy team until we pla...Wait? We play one next down in Jaxinville...

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Carolina gets lucky to beat Vanderbilt by 1 point, and Beamer says "we've got something special here, and we're just getting started" 😂

• Options
    SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Good grief, really? I thought we played UF next? And, Bama beats bottom dweller Miss. St. and they are now the world beaters they have always been, again?!!! Who vets your article ideas? Maybe they need a new profession as you do!

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

We desperately need to get people back, healthy & ready to play as the Dawgs head back into the second rivalry portion of the schedule. The team especially the offense looked indecisive & afraid of making mistakes on Sat & the 22 play drive by KY to end the game was & is a major concern. You can bet Mullen, Helped, & Saban will watch the film of that KY drive repeatedly over the next several weeks. The offense needs to start the game with the same killer instinct the defense has. The defense cannot be expected to stay on the field for nearly 40 minutes & survive the upcoming slate of rivalry games the Dawgs are facing. FL, MO, TN, Tech & certainly Bama will be looking to crush the CFP dreams of Dawgnation.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Alabama beats the Vanderbilt of the West and they are back?? Come on now-- Bama is good, but not even close the where they have been in the past.

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Florida is a team that really play to the level of competition. This happens to a lot of teams that rely on their offense. I believe they will be the biggest challenge to us this year before post season. I think our front 7 will be able to contain their running game, the key is how well our secondary plays against their passing game. They are well balanced offensively and we have been giving up too many 3rd down conversions, especially some 3rd and longs.

As far as Alabama, I've always thought they are not as good this year, and the Florida and the A&M games were the proof. But I also thought Miss St., who beat A&M, would do much better. So, the Saturday's game makes me think that we are still about 50-50 against Ala if the game is today.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think some are overreacting to Kentucky's last drive. Yes, it was a 22-play drive. But that's the thing - it took them TWENTY TWO plays to go 70 something yards. I doubt any opposing coaches left are sitting there like, "I think we've got a shot against this Georgia team, we just need to figure out how to average a good 3-3.5 yards per play against them. [sees Kentucky tape]... Well what do we have here?!" It's about 200 yards over 60 plays. Not exactly a model for sustained success.

At that point in the game, Kentucky was content to concede the game and dedicate their focus to getting one last effective drive, so they stuck with high probability, low yardage plays. And at that point in the game, Georgia was content to let them. And before anyone responds about increasing the potential for injuries, that wouldn't be any less true if Georgia were to put their offense back on the field. Kentucky was draining the clock as thoroughly as they could. And Smart said ok, take your moral victory and let's get outta here. While I would have really liked to have seen them ultimately keep the cats out of the end zone, the overall approach seems fine to me, in context.

I know, I know. Killer instinct, etc. I'm going to need to see that become at least a potential problem before I waste any time worrying about it. This team hasn't exactly been eeking out their wins.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It always fun working here in the state of TN (I live in Georgia and cross the border) as it's been quite a dumpster fire for awhile now for them. It's pretty crazy when you realize that their historical record of 67.1% wins is better than our 65.8%. They can't get their act together.

Coaching will be a big deciding factor this week with both Florida and Georgia having the week off to rest and prepare. It's easy to underestimate them but remember that they came within 2 pts of Bama and beat UT by 14 points. We will need to be aggressive.

Things are looking great for us to win the East, but in order to get into the playoffs we cannot overlook anybody.

That said, I'm very cautiously excited... but geez, the season is almost over already!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, I suspect that they wouldn't have scored that TD if it would've been a closer game. I personally have no issues with allowing them to run through practically an entire quarter on a single drive.