Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart tells ESPN his quarterback plan with regards to JT Daniels, Stetson Bennett

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart tells ESPN his quarterback plan with regards to JT Daniels, Stetson Bennett

Kirby Smart gave a very interesting update when it comes to the quarterback position.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Oh boy here we go again.

• DCDawgDCDawg Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

Who ever is the quarterback will do just fine against the Gaytors.

I'm sorry to see Kendall Milton get hurt. I met his dad last weekend. Kendall's dad is a really nice guy. He's also big and looks like he can take on all comers. In fact, the entire Milton family that was at the game were solid human specimens! But this is football. Kendall has to take care of himself but it's next man up. It's a deep RB corps. Let's hand them the ball and run it up on Todd Grantham's defense!

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The "voters" who rank florida high year in and year out seem to never concern themselves as to how ignorant that makes them look.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I read Smart's words carefully in context...I truly believe you will see Bennett continue against the Gators. UGA will need his legs in that battle. It may be JT starts 2nd half IF UGA needs quick release pin point passing....though Stetson has been doing that very well lately himself. He is just not as quick with his arm release as JT. Nice to be able to field two solid QBs. Smart will go with the one he believes can produce the desired results for that game. I do know this...Kirby likes Bennett's performance record and his improvement as a QB..JT did help some with this as well.

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Jt is the starter..

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We'll see? I am good with either, actually. Was just trying to cipher Kirby. Personally, I think JT needs to start to see where he is at. Your opinion is as good as mine. Smart really likes Bennett.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. Daniels has been injured all year. Since Bennett has improved, it's very much up in the air who is the better option when Daniels is healthy. I think it would be wise to throw him out there with the first team offense as soon as his body is ready for it. We're going to need to know what we have starting the day after the Tech game.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Going multiple has worked out pretty well with the defense. Maybe we'll see a little of the same thing with two good Quarterbacks. Honestly both have done enough to deserve playing time.

Contrary to some, I think it's a good problem to have. How many teams would trade their starter for either Daniels or Bennett. I think the answer is, most would.

• jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well, this year, we must remember that they both have benefitted from having better than average skill players ( even in the face of all the injuries ), as well as an offensive line that seems to be improving as the season progresses. Again, in the face of injuries with that group too. Wouldn't have thought we could lose Tate Ratledge and our starting center would have a snapping hand injury. Again young talented players have stepped up. The other thing that Daniels and Bennett have going for them is Coach Monken's play calling and play designs. He puts skill players in position to succeed by calling appropriate plays, and when everyone on the field does his job on that play, it takes a special play by the opposing defense to stop it. And, there is the luxury of having special players and coaches on the defensive and special teams sides. I am not saying that the QB's have it easy. They have to do their job in terms of pre-snap reads, audibles, etc. But, both of them seem to have put in the time in the film room, as well as absorbed the excellent coaching they receive. It is possible that neither of them would fare as well in a different system with a different OC/QB coach, but both appear to be thriving in the system they have been given.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There were a couple of times against KY that we did the zone read handoff and thier DE came crashing down and SB could have kept it and ran forever. Need to read it better.Keep DE's from cheating on the run game.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“There are teams we play that we have to be able to use the quarterback in the run game. Well, that’s Stetson. There are teams we play that you have to get the ball out quickly and be really accurate. That’s JT. But the first thing with JT is that he’s got to be healthy.”

That is actually an EXCELLENT statement to hear. It's not the whole "he who practices better gets the job". It indicates a strategy based on the opponent and I respect that completely.

I've come to accept that while Daniels will likely play in the NFL for a long time vs Bennett who won't get a snap, both are excellent COLLEGE QBs and that's all that really matters.

I still will be curious to see what happens with Daniels post season: is he still draftable with his lack of playing time or will he stay another year?

Hopefully JT will get some better advice about turning pro than JF did.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Fans are so fickle. Just five short weeks ago, fans were calling for Kirby's scalp after he he put Bennett into the SC game on the third possession when a (we thought) healthy JT Daniels was playing well. And they really roasted him when he said after that game that Bennett "deserved" to play" because he had a good week of practice. You couldn't find two Dawg fans who wanted Bennett to even PLAY in games, let alone start them. Now you have folks claiming that he may be the best QB on the team. lol

That said, I think Kirby is using his psychology background here. He well knows that JT is the more talented player with a higher ceiling. But he also knows that JT is brittle and injury prone. He can't afford to let Bennett lose his edge by shuttling him back to the bench so this is his way of keeping both players engaged because, quite frankly, he may need both of them before it's all said and done. Personally, I think JT starts against UF if he's healthy, with Bennett coming in on the third or fourth possession. Then again, maybe not. Time will tell. Winning is ALL that matters. Go Dawgs!

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some of our fans just refuse to believe in Stetson. Not me. I know he can get it done. Yes... JT is the better QB, but JT has health issues and you're fooling yourselves if you ignore it. Save JT, go with Stetson, and if we find ourselves down at halftime against Bama in the championship, bring the backup QB off the bench in the biggest case of payback ever.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I say if JT gets the full GO, Stetson still starts and JT comes in 3rd or 4th series for change of pace.

Whether JT plays against FLa or not, we'll see, but if he continues to improve he will surely play by the MIssou game. At some point whether in practice or in a game, the cream will rise. Whoever that is more power to them. We all have our fan boys, but what we all should want is the best possible player at QB.