Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Steve Spurrier compares No. 1-ranked Georgia to Florida 1990s SEC title teams

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageSteve Spurrier compares No. 1-ranked Georgia to Florida 1990s SEC title teams

JACKSONVILLE — Florida coach Steve Spurrier said the No. 1-ranked Georgia Bulldogs remind him of some of his SEC Championship Gators teams of the 1990s — on defense, at least.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting stuff. The comparison shows that there really isn't too much in common with both teams however LOL.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So basically the GA team of today, and the FL team of 1996 have virtually nothing in common. The Dawgs are mostly winning with defense, and the Gators mostly won with offense.

What will be interesting to see is what happens if the DAWGS must come from behind and win a game with offense...

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree Kirk, even our coaches don’t have much in common. Kirby is a classy guy and Spurrier is…….

Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No sarcasm just kidding around. I hope we don’t Have to come from behind. And we keep getting W’s. I’m not That interested in what might happen !! 😀 ****But I know what you mean. I’m just fine with the Dawgs winning a Natty as a predominately defensive team though. It Would be interesting but to much for my cardio system lol !! Let’s hope we don’t have much of the come from behind stuff !!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spurrier is right...the transfer portal generally gets you experienced players...ready to rumble. But the need for recruits is still primary. Developing the youngsters to the UGA scheme...and "buy in." I believe that helps in the synchrony of the team as a cohesive unit. The proverbial well-oiled machine. The portal fills voids or weaknesses.

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

We sure do give the Old Ball Scratcher a lot of press on our site. Never had much interest in anything that Spurrier has to say. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trying to pull a "Vince Dooley." Won't work. Haters been trying to build us for a bust all season. Dawgs ain't havin' it! Dawgs on top!

• Options
    dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

So basically the UGA team today would wipe the floor with those 90s Florida team????

• Options
    CondorFactsCondorFacts Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2021

Let's see... (and check my math)

SEC PPG 1996 - 24.38PPG

SEC PPG 2021 (so far) - 32.90PPG

INCREASE - 25.9%

Trying to correlate:

UF OFFENSE PPG (adjusted) - 58.77PPG (9.47PPG above current #1 OSU's 49.30)

UF DEFENSE PPG (adjusted) - 21.15PPG (good enough for 40th on the year right behind Wyoming)

If correct, I'd say the ol' ball coach is wrong. They certainly weren't horrible on D, but they were as elite on O as this UGA team is on D. Now, there are a lot of other variables to consider. Did his fun and gun put more pressure on their defense? More defensive possessions. That kind of thing.

As far as who would win, I think the modern fitness regimen and dietary assistance combined with new scheme would be the difference.

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

YOU AND YOUR OPINION GO TO H3!! PURE RAT POISON