Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia coach Kirby Smart expected to start Stetson Bennett over healthy JT Daniels against Florida

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia coach Kirby Smart expected to start Stetson Bennett over healthy JT Daniels against Florida

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Georgia coach Kirby Smart is expected to start Stetson Bennett over JT Daniels at quarterback against Florida on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

So much for the best player ......

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

I’m so tired Mike of your biased reporting including your comments last night regarding our QB situation and your boy JT. Great choice by Kirby starting the “Mailman” tomorrow because he has performed light years better than JT this year against much better competition. It’s easy to cherry-pick stats, but JT actually had a terrible game against the only moderately good team he faced (3 loss Clemson). I looked back at the play by play and JT botched 6 or 7 third down conversions in that game and only led UGA on 1 scoring drive the entire game that ended in a field goal…..our only offensive score. He had no TDs and an interception, averaged minus 7 yards per carry and threw 30 passes for a mere 135 yards. His other 2 starts were against Vandy and SC who totally **** this year. On the flipside, Stetson has had 4 impressive starts against 3 ranked teams as well as against UAB who would easily beat Vandy or SC. Stetson averages 7.8 yards per carry vs JT averaging “minus” 5. Stetson has one of the highest averages in yards per pass attempt in the SEC and JT has one of the lowest. In starts, Stetson has a TD to INT ratio of 10:0 while JT is 5:2. Finally, Stetson’s QB rating is close to 220 and JT is around 160. Don’t forget, JT faced incredibly weak competition while Stetson faced ranked teams. I don’t deny that JT has a better arm, but I just don’t understand why Mike Griffith still obsesses over a QB who has weaker stats and is easily injured. I vote for the best leader and I think it’s Stetson Bennett.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

One last note, the 3 regular season games JT played in last season were against Mississippi State, Missouri and South Carolina who had only 11 total wins (20 losses) between them and none of those teams had a winning record. I’m extremely confident we would have won all of those games had Stetson been healthy and behind center. Go Dawgs and let’s please quit bashing the Mailman.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Again..we will have to wait and see if Stetson can repeat his KY performance against FL. I see no reason why he couldn't. He has won every game so far. Defenses don't know whether to chase him or cover the receivers....he poses a good dual threat. However, I would like to see JT rifle some of those long bullets on target especially to Bowers....just would. Thing of pure beauty. UGA has two very productive QBs. That is good. UGA big win!

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think you’re right and I believe he will be our starting quarterback starting next week. I can totally see why they’d stick with what’s in a groove/rhythm this week and not make the change when we don’t need to, in a game this pivotal to reaching our goals this season.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“I’ll say it again, I’m ok with whoever the best guy to give us the best chance to win is,” Smart said.

That's going to be kind of hard to determine if Daniels is on the sideline despite being able to play. I get why he wouldn't just throw him out there right out of the gate against Florida after not playing for a month. But I trust Smart to give Daniels a real opportunity to remind his teammates and coaches why he was the starter at the beginning of the season, starting - probably, hopefully - next week.

• Options
    srialiensrialien Posts: 13 ✭✭ Sophomore

Don’t over react to this article folks. Mike like to write his opinion as if it’s fact. While he might turn out to be correct, this article is based on nothing more than his opinion. Period. Nothing new has come out from CKS or any player to lead one to this belief in days. So why he reports this as anything other than his opinion is simply misleading.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He does cite "sources," which is how he framed the news that Bennett would be starting over Beck in week 2. If you need to see it to believe it, that's fine. But it doesn't appear to be pure opinion.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

At this point this is Bennett's team. I seem to recall Saban pulling a starting QB twice to beat us. I trust both QB's, only one can play at a time....

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Only thing that matters tomorrow is we win. Period! SB or JT, doesn't matter. Whoever starts I want them to play lights out!.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stets has the higher QBR this year and put a TD pass in McConkey’s pocket that traveled 56 yards in the air. I support both QBs but JT having the stronger arm is a myth. Even Herbstreit acknowledged during a recent telecast that Stetson has the stronger arm.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No mystery here. SBIV is in midseason form. JTD's is coming off an injury. JTD's will get 1st and 2nd half snaps vs FU. You will see JTD's getting more and more PT over the weeks to come.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And here we go with this BS. If J t is truly healthy there's no reason why he shouldn't get the start here we go again Kirby

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2021

IF THE PLAN IS TO WORK JT IN SLOWLY I CAN BUY THAT BUT IF CKS IS SIMPLY HAVING ANOTHER UNDERDOG MANCRUSH JUST GO AHEAD AND HAND U KNOW WHO ANOTHER TITLE 😢

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ladies and gentlemen this would be the correct call. It’s not the dog in the fight it’s the fight in the dog. I believe Stetson will be out for blood having to experience all of the poor mouthing after last yrs game.

I also believe that this game is not the game to experiment with chemistry. I firmly believe that Daniels is the better Qb, but as with all other sports you have to go with the hot hand.

Daniels will start next game on leading us to the natty. But I feel like Bennet is in Florida’s head as well. They’ve seen the runs he’s had and the long balls he’s thrown. They gotta know that little guy is gunna be ready to party!

Go Dawgs!

42-3 Dawgs on top!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let’s not read to much into who is going to start or this article. I think Stetson has earned the right to start the game. I think we’ll see JT very quick and then it will play out one way or the other accordingly.