Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart explains why he started Stetson Bennett against Florida, updates JT Daniels health

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If JT is hurt I can accept that. But why are we acting like Bennett is Joe Montana all of a sudden? Threw those two pics into double coverage.... Our defense is our savior. If they can maintain their play we have a chance but JT was the starter for a reason. But hey we also let a first rounder walk out the door for an NFL practice squad guy....

• Options
    traildawg51traildawg51 Posts: 46 ✭✭✭ Junior

All these people complaining about Kirby's decision making makes me sick. Not a single one of these "armchair" quarterbacks could even come close to doing what Kirby does on a daily basis. We would not be where we are without Coach Smart. He makes decisions based on who gives us the best chance to win the game we are playing on a given Saturday.

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Am baffled by those here that refuse to see the sh*t show the QB situation is building into. kirkhiles perfectly captured the future: Beck leaves, probably goes to UF and beats us next year; Daniels gets the Fromm treatment and ends up on the Bills' practice squad (instead of high draft pick); Vandagriff possibly bails; and all hope rests on Stockton . . . with no one else in the room. With no QB future, recruiting takes a hit, juniors leave for the draft, and sophomores enter the portal. And all this is a possibility because of loyalty to a future booster? Maybe this is all over-blown, SBIV is a mediocre QB, afterall.

But, the defense cannot beat any of the top 6 by themselves. The offense really needs about 28 points, at a bare minimum. Oklahoma and Bama would score at least that much. We were all nervous about UF for a reason and, if not for the fluky 2:30 minutes to end the first half, this was a different ball game.

Starting SBIV, fine. Not putting JT in at half, absolutely do not understand. Okay, fine, SBIV is a DGD. But, does even that DGD think that he is the best QB on the team and the QB most likely to lead to the NC?

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I see plenty of bandwagon fans.. If you dislike the situation.. Cheer for Tech, nobody will miss you!!

• Options
    edited October 2021

Midget is more talented than you..

• Options

If Daniels is such a generational QB, why is he not still the starting QB at USC?

• Options
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I find it interesting some think Kirby lies about JT's health on a regular basis but think he wouldn't take the heat off JT if he said he wasn't quite up to starting, even with medical clearance.

JT's parents thanked Kirby for not pushing JT to start after he'd been medically cleared, that seems like a pretty good hint as to what the real situation might be this season.

I well recall JT warming up pre-game, wincing a lot, talking to the trainer and not playing, this was maybe 5 games back.

I think what's most likely going on is Kirby is defering to JT on whether he's ready to start.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm a fan of a good story and Bennett is a good story. His performance yesterday was enough to tell me that Daniels should get the start next week and see what he's made of. As good as our defense is can they take us through the SECCG, and two playoff games without some elite offensive support.

There's no reason I can fathom that Smart wouldn't give Daniels the chance to run our offense next week. If he fails, we know we have to rely on Stetson. He's capable but he's not Elite, Kirby says he will put the best on the field....

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Never said he was generational - just better than SBIV. And, he left USC. Is it your position the Slovis would still start if JT had stayed there? Is it also your position the SBIV should start the rest of our games over JT? That CKS is managing the QB situation in a way that is best for the season and the future?

Look, if Daniels is still hurt and CKS has been leveraging the situation to make teams prepare for two possibilities, fine. Totally makes sense to me. In fact, it is the only way that any of this makes sense.

I get the whole, have faith in the coaches and that they know the team better than me thing. But, everyone on the planet saw the Justin Fields thing for what it was and no one was surprised by the fallout. The writing on the wall is just as clear now.

• Options

Injuries happen to QB's all the time. Most work to overcome the injury and win their starting job back.. Daniels failed to do that at USC with Slovis waiting to display his talents, which obviously impressed the coaches enough to name Slovis as the starter. As I've stated before, I don't care if Kirby starts Jordan Davis at QB if it ends in a DAWGS win..8-0, #1 in the country, SEC East champs..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

Most of these comments are truly sad. It is interesting to see how many fans have bought into the hype surrounding Daniels. This is not to say Daniels does not have a lot of talent because he does. What is being overlooked is he is fragile. Stop for a minute and think where this team would be with Beck in place of Bennett. I doubt the record would be the same

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

I was referring to this assumption making the rounds that Smart is not going to give Daniels a chance to win the starting job back over the coming weeks, and it's going to cost Georgia a title. Pretty sure you haven't watched those games, on the field.

I don't disagree on the importance of getting Daniels back up to game speed, as I think he's the better quarterback. I've been very consistent on that all season. My issue with these comments is that people are criticizing Smart for a blunder he hasn't had a chance to even make yet. If Daniels keeps riding the bench all the way into the playoff then I'll certainly join you in your frustration. All I'm saying is it actually has to happen before I do