Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Just give the Heisman to the entire Georgia defense!

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageJust give the Heisman to the entire Georgia defense!

How important is it that Georgia has the sort of elite, smothering, strong-across-the-board defense that only comes along about once a decade?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You can't spell team with an I

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

I couldn't agree more Bill, watching this defense takes me back to the 70's when the JunkyardDAWGS defenses coached by Erk shut down opposing offenses. Another great article..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    Gaowens58Gaowens58 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Where would we be if we had a mediocre defense. Florida would beat us badly playing Bennett as the QB. Kirby needs to be looking down the road to Dec. 4th. With Bennett playing we can not win the natty. Better get the QB that can win the game of the life time ready. GO DAWGS

• Options
    DrO3DrO3 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

Great observations, Bill. I can only add "Go Dawgs!"

• Options
    edited October 2021

Why is everyone so convinced DAWGS win a NC with Daniels at QB? He's proved nothing to justify that. I've watched JT make questionable decisions and poorly thrown passes himself. Weak performance against a grossly overrated Clemson team, and credible performances against powerhouses such as South Carolina and Vandy. Maybe they do win a NC with JT at QB, maybe they dont, same applies with Stetson as well. Thats yet to be determined. Regardless if it's Stetson, or JT at QB they will need to bring their "A" game to finish this season the way all DAWG fans envision it ending..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone focuses on who starts, but the game has 60 minutes of play with us leading 24-0 at halftime with Bennett with one interception and a nearly identical play that would've been intercepted if not overthrown.

Playing the same QB for 60 mins in dominate wins is not smart by any metric. Whether you are talking about this year or next, others need game time. Otherwise, they leave.

I mean at EVERY OTHER POSITION (other than maybe kicker), players rotate in and out, but it's always Bennett. You'd think we didn't have two 5-stars behind him.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I totally trust Kirby with all aspects of the game, to include the QB position. I also felt that we wouldn't see Daniels unless GA fell behind.

On the other hand. Throwing two unnecessary INT's is a great recipe for costing your team a game. My only problem with Bennett is he seems to force at least one pass into similar coverage every game. He's gotten away with it more often than not, but Bennett's had enough game reps to where he should know better. Yet it keeps happening?

Despite all the debate, I do feel like Daniels is the better option. Hopefully he's fully healed and gets some game reps next week. Playing both QB's in the next three games would work for me. It's hard to make it through a full season without a QB injury - look at the Ole Miss QB - why not keep both sharp and game ready in preparation for the SECCG.

GOOOODAWGS!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone pretends they know stuff nobody knows other than the coaches.

Frankly, I am thrilled to be here. We're 8-0. We just crushed our most hated rival. We're #1 in the nation. We have the SEC East in the bag. What's not to like.

Kirby has brought us to this point. Nobody wants to win more than Kirby. I'm planning to trust him. He will continue to do his very best to win every game.

The other option is to pretend we know more than we could possibly know and/or are smarter, better Dawg fans, and better coaches than the guys getting paid the big bucks. (Who, by the way, have won every game since last season's Florida game.)

Thanks, Bill, for another excellent and balanced article. You mentioned some holes in our game which need fixing. Offensive line. The kicking game. You're right. We have what amounts to a bye week with a scrimmage in the middle. We must take the opportunity to up our game.

Defense wins championships. Particularly defenses like this one.

That said, I'd love to see our offense match our defense. Dream on, dude...some things are not going to happen. Doesn't mean our offense can't and doesn't need to improve.

Across the board, including defense, we can improve. I suspect we will. It's going to be unreal.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    edited October 2021

Exactly Mr. Wallace! 8-0, #1 in the country, and SEC East Champs, enjoy it for a minute..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we were only up 3-0 at halftime, JT probably would have played the second half.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 276 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dan Lanning's pirates two minute (defensive) drill sure made my half time snack go down better than I was expecting!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think Kirby held Daniels out because of the florida defense. They would have aimed for the injured areas of his body on every play and they are good enough to get in a lot of legal hits (plus some that are not quite so legal). The rest of the defenses in the regular season are well below florida's and I think we will see much more of JT in the remaining 4 games.

• Options
    RollDogRollDog Posts: 38 ✭✭ Sophomore

“Once a decade?” When have you EVER seen a defense like this? I’ve been following CFB seriously for 45 years and this has never happened.

• Options
    BillKingBillKing Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited November 2021

The 2011 Alabama defense (to which this year's Georgia defense frequently is compared) was pretty awesome, too.

RollDog Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

10:50AM

“Once a decade?” When have you EVER seen a defense like this? I’ve been following CFB seriously for 45 years and this has never happened.