Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia report card: Bulldogs look like champions, even at less than their best

SystemSystem Posts: 11,048 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia report card: Bulldogs look like champions, even at less than their best

ATHENS — Georgia was due for an off game, and according to Coach Kirby Smartm the Bulldogs had it in some respects against Missouri.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike? Seven Bs and two B+s = Overall B+ ? How so? Champion-like with no As? I agree with the champions reference but not the ratings to get there. C to C+ first half...A- second. IMO.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember how former OC Chaney's GA offense struggled in Goal-line situations.

What a contrast it is with OC Monken at the controls. James Cook scored out of the “Wild Dawg” goal-line package.

Jordan Davis and Jalen Carter in the Jumbo package. What's next? Coach Monken's doing a great job for UGA!

• 10DAWG10DAWG Posts: 268 ✭✭✭ Junior

Generous on the O-line, run blocking has been an issue all year even when they haven't loaded the box, pass blocking has been great. That's what leads to the next thing, the coaches making those adjustments in real time. You would think with the box loaded it would make for some good mismatches with TE's, screens, etc.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2021

So, because of one 27 yard punt return, the special teams get a B? If the punt had NOT been blocked, whereby the the recovery could not have been miffed, would that be an A? Didn't Camarda put most of his kickoffs into the end zone? Didn't hot pod hit on 100 percent of his kicks? Pretty unrealistic grading, Mike. A- probably a fair grade.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

They might as well do away with the "uncatchable" caveat in the PI rule. It seems like half the calls I see for pass interference are on passes that Inspector Gadget would have had a tough time reeling in. And I'm not just saying this to complain about the call against Bullard (although it does clearly apply). It's a problem in the sport at large that I've been noticing for some time now.

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGA66 "Overall" is not an average GPA --- it is its own grade which takes into consideration injury status and postgame momentum/feedback from coaches/players.

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 374 ✭✭✭ Junior

I definitely felt like the defense had a post Adam Anderson hangover. It took a couple of quarters for the new starting lineup to gel and start playing together as a unit. Even though we have great depth, AA has been one of the best players on defense and you don’t just replace that kind of talent without some growing pains.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree that Anderson's absence had an effect on the defense. Hopefully, they got their sadness out of their systems on Saturday. As for the grades, how are you grading man? The offensive line and the running backs both deserve a grade of "C," and that's only because of the O-Line's pass protection. The special teams deserve an A. Where did they fail? The wide receivers deserve an A as well. If a couple of Bennett's balls hadn't been underthrown, they likely would have had a couple of more TD catches. But guys were getting open downfield, they blocked extremely well and I saw few, if any drops. Don't disagree with your Secondary grade, but Bullard's PI was definitely necessary. The receiver was wide open and had he caught the ball, he would have gained a lot more than the 15 yards the penalty gave them. Even the TV announcers remarked about how Bullard's play was actually pretty beneficial to UGA. I get that giving grades like this is pretty subjective, but goodness, these are just seem so out of line.