Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Jalen Carter, Jordan Davis could help improve Georgia football red zone touchdown woes

SystemSystem Posts: 11,082 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageJalen Carter, Jordan Davis could help improve Georgia football red zone touchdown woes

Georgia football has some red zone issues it needs to sort out this season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You don't need help in the redzone when you are winning by 20+ points every game. Maybe in the championship game. Not worth the risk of injury until then.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our overall 3rd down conversion % is 46%. Not good. Bama, Ohio State, Oregon, and Oklahoma all are much better than the DAWGS in that regard. No one has been talking about this because our defense has held our opponents to minimal scoring, and our offense has been able to rack up points. And with more offensive weapons on the field now, I do think we will improve our red zone scoring ability over the next few weeks.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When you can't run the ball consistly and count on picking up 3-4 yards it makes for a lot of 3rd and longs and even if you do have a 3rd and short you don't feel confident you can pick up the 1st down via the run, so you're left to passing.

If I'm not mistaken 3rd down passing and converting is where JT excelled.

It truly is a mystery to me why our running inconsistency woes continue. This is a continuation to some degree from last season when Miss St. held us to like 8 yards rushing. Fortunately JT passed for 400 yards.

We supposedly have gotten very good recruits along the O-line and Luke is recognized by many as an excellent coach. So what gives? THere is more to it than just loading the box. If it were that simple then every team loads the box on every other team and stops their run game. THe only time you wouldn't, would be against the teams that don't emphsize the run and are heavy pass oriented.

It's a mystery that doesn't seem solvable.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We'll never know for sure, but I honestly believe that if JT Daniels had been QB1 throughout this season, our red zone TD percentage would be considerably higher. JT just knows how to get folks into the right play, how to move the defensive personnel either with formation or motion or just his eyes. He also has a quicker release on his passes, something that is often crucial near the goal line where coverage is much tighter. It's great that we have Jordan Davis and Jalen Carter to help us in those Jumbo packages, but the fact of the matter is, we really shouldn't have to use them to consistently score rushing touchdowns. Go Dawgs.

• bobebobe Posts: 205 ✭✭✭ Junior

I want to see JD run that ****.

• DawggolferDawggolfer Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Junior

Love the " Brute Squad" package on goal line. Can we add a wrinkle? We have a guy (#0) who is about 8 feet tall and jumps like a deer. Snap the ball, fake to Zamir up the right hand middle, Jordan and Jalen have cleared out the whole left hand side of the other team all the way to the UGA doghouse, #0 takes 4 giant steps forward, posts up, and either JT or Stetson literally shoots the football high like a 3 point jump shot , #0 brings it down like a Dennis Rodman rebound. We score 99 out of 100 times we try it.

Seriously, Washington needs more than 1 target a game if you want to keep recruiting that type of talent to the team. Not taking away from any of the other receivers, especially the freshmen that have played so great during the injury pandemic, but throwing more short passes to the tight end would open up the middle and long ball more too. Maybe even loosen them up for the running game too.

• ypcregypcreg Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I would really caution against using those guys too much on offense, especially JD. We are not exactly deep at the DL, and JD has had history of injuries in the past. His injury in the 2018 SECCG is the one I think turned the game. If he happens to get injured playing offense, I can't imagine how bad that will be.

• GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Georgia would not be struggling in the red zone if they could use Darnell Washington in the passing game down by the goal line. I am sure their is no defensive player that can out jump him. Plus the offense line is not getting any push to run the ball.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dawg fans used to gripe when Mike Bobo was the OC, his offense was so predictable. So, UGA brings a lot of the lack of rushing yardage on itself. At least 12 times each game a handoff to a RB trying to get yardage behind the center, or behind the left or right guard is getting 0 to 1 yards. It's like we have to do this, and it's maddening. Get the ball pitched to a RB going outside the tackles and TE's and you will probably have better success.

• GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Georgia run game was built off the toss sweep.