Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefeated Dawgs cool off another ‘hottest’ opponent

SystemSystem Posts: 10,681 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageUndefeated Dawgs cool off another ‘hottest’ opponent

Those expecting Tennessee and Josh Heupel’s hurry-up offense to give Kirby Smart’s Dawgs a serious, competitive game Saturday were absolutely right … for about 20 minutes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dawgfanathensdawgfanathens Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can we now add Alabama to the rivals list please, and finish them?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good assay, Bill. I do believe Devonte Wyatt wanted to play all he could in support of his mates. He loves the game and is a tenacious defensive lineman. I could see no other plausible reason after two then three on-field injuries and the game was essentially over.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In terms of QB, to me it's simple. Bennett is an appropriate starter as long as he is able to do what he does best: bootlegs, runs, slants and so on.

If, though he can't - Smart needs to acknowledge that and give JT a chance. If we lose because of stubbornness that is not acceptable.

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

I love the, is Bennett capable of leading the Dawgs to a Natty, question. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!! You could have asked that question about Greene, Stafford and Murray and the thinking of most scribes would have been yes. And how did that work out??? Only because Stetson was a walk-on do people feel compelled to question. When we next win one, hopefully soon, we will know that the QB of that team was capable!!

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

“Frankly, I couldn’t have imagined JT Daniels even attempting that play.”

Can you imagine JT Daniels hitting Bowers in stride? I can.

I’m not trying to disparage Bennett. He’s played well and I trust Kirby’s judgement, but this notion that Bennett brings something that Daniels doesn’t bring while Daniels DOESN’T offer abilities that Bennett does not is false.

Bennett is a very capable runner. Daniels is a more accurate passer. I’m getting tired of hearing commentators state that Daniels could not have made a play running the ball that Bennett just made. It may be true, but it’s also true that maybe Daniels would have found a receiver and completed a pass and not had to run to begin with.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Also, the knock on shorter quarterbacks is that they have lots of batted passes. I don’t think this is true, but I do think shorter quarterbacks have more difficulty spotting receivers over the middle of the field. On the 2nd sack Bennet took, he missed a WIDE OPEN Darnell Washington about 15 yards downfield in the middle of the field.

Jake Fromm frustrated me to no end because he seemed to think the only pass he was allowed to throw was the back-shoulder pass on the sideline. Fromm wasn’t short, but he wasn’t very tall, either.

Again, I appreciate Bennett and think we can win a national title with him. But if we are relying on him and the receivers to complete the throw to the back pylon in the corner of the end zone with a circus catch and dragging of a toe, well, I hope it continues but would like to see more high-percentage routes and throws.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

Bill, this is huge. Few people have emphasized what it means.

Man, I hate those guys.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    adcdadcd Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

Great article. I’m looking forward to a time when “fans” no longer question Stetson and his QB abilities. Not sure that day will ever come. We have way too many couch coaches as fans.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Reading these comments, one thing is true...some people are never happy. Here UGA sits undefeated and people who couldn't run 100 yards or make a tackle feel fit to criticize. It's beyond embarrassing. Guess this is the "fringe" fan base because it's the same people day after day on here. I know a ton of Dawg fans and everyone is thrilled to be where we are. Find some joy in this team and stop with the QB garbage. It will work itself out and I trust Kirby to see it through. Would you rather be Florida?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for criticizing the criticizers.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So many people (not you) whine about our qb situation. I think it's AWESOME! Folks, do you realize we have TWO qb's that are capable of leading a team to the playoffs? In 2017 and 2018, Bama beat us with a BACKUP qb, when the starter was ineffective. Bennet is the starter. If he struggles, JT can provide a needed spark. If Bennett goes down for the year, how many out there would write the Dawgs off, because of losing a starting qb? How many teams have SOLID depth at qb? Dawgs have two top tiered starters, ready to play at a moment's notice, and are capable of taking the team to the top. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What are the chances JT comes back, next year? Can you imagine a qb room with JT, Vandergriff, Beck, (if he doesn't transfer) and Gunner Stockton? This is so much fun. Usually, at this time of the year, we are asking what could have been questions and how good things will be, next year. This year, we get to enjoy the good times, THIS YEAR, AND look forward to next. Groovy!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bill, Very nice article! I think it is one of your best ever.

Thanks

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A friend of mine whose a former Division 1 athlete told me after the Auburn game that Stetson was this teams QB1 for remainder of the season, said he could just tell our boys were playing for him and that he’d won the respect of the locker room. I asked all the same questions we ask about why JT isn’t starting/getting reps, his accuracy/quick reads etc and he said….. “dude, I don’t know how to explain it but when a team as scary as UGA gets behind a QB and will run through brick walls for him… it’s really hard to bench that guy - particularly when the team is winning like this.” He suggested I just be glad we got two guys who can lead us to win it all because his crimson tide has Young and that’s it. Just sharing this perspective from someone who was a 4 year div one athlete and 2 year grad assistant. Go dawgs.