Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart provides good news on Georgia football injury front, ‘repercussions’ of recent flu bug

SystemSystem Posts: 10,652 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart provides good news on Georgia football injury front, ‘repercussions’ of recent flu bug

Georgia football got some good news on the injury front after the Tennessee game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“To me, when you’re playing that group and they can score fast, I’m not taking anything for granted,” Smart said. “We’re going to play our best guys and try to win the game.”

Huh? Weren't the starters still in the game with less than 4 minutes in the game with a 31 point lead? Just say the fact that Defense really wanted a stop and be honest.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess Kirby left them in to get more reps in preparation for the tough Charleston Southern game on Saturday. (kidding)

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mean, if anyone is still taking Smart's comments at face value at this point, that's kinda on them. I think that went out the window in week 2 when we were told Beck was the number 2 quarterback only to see Bennett get the start when Daniels went out. It's fine. I've got no criticism for Smart's general handling of the program when the team is playing this well. And it really doesn't matter what he says publicly between games because, well, we'll see what's what when game time comes. If we happen to get the occasional insightful or surprisingly honest response, that's great. But mostly I see these pressers as something to be tuned out.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm with you on this one @kirkhilles. Wyatt's knee injury occurred with 26 seconds left in the game. I know UT's offense can score in lightening-fast time, but there would have been something bad wrong if we'd blown a 24-point lead in just 26 seconds. And it was obvious from Kirby's immediate on-field reaction to Wyatt's injury (caught on camera by CBS) that he was none too thrilled with the situation at the time. I don't care what the coaches say here, this was about trying to be the first team to keep a Josh Heupel team from scoring 14 points in a game. We almost succeeded at that but once we didn't, our top-line starters should have been pulled. We still had Julian Rochester and Nazir Stackhouse on the sidelines who could have held down the fort for two minutes.

• Options
    OldJeepBobOldJeepBob Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

Connor: Loose "the likes of". Two in this article, seen as many as 4. If it is "the likes of" Jalen Carter and Devonta Wyatt will be out, just say JC and DW will be out. Sheesh.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Rochester and Stackhouse would start on most SEC teams. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 279 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Despite multiple injuries, flu illness, and the loss of an integral defensive star and captain to unresolved legal issues, this team has consistently shown a cohesiveness that has been more unique even than their obvious physical capabilities. This, I believe, is what has made them ELITE and so enjoyable to follow.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"we're going to play our best guys", CKS. During the summer, up until the injury, that was JTD. Heck even CBeck was #2. W/o a legitimate chance to play , uninjured this year, how does anyone know who is "our best guy"? I find it difficult to imagine that SBIV is out throwing JTD in the passing situations in practice.

• Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

WE ARE 10-0. Let coach KS lead this team as needed on the fly as needed. If he and the defensive leaders want to set some records, lets get behind them to do so. If there is is a risk, ok, there is always a risk with greatness.. We are in the SEC championship game already( no easy feat), we are in the CFP play-off,,(Elite). Better record in how many years? If the guys want to play it out in their last SEC game,,,, let em, defend the END-ZONE if they desire... WE ARE OK,,,,,,,GO DAWGS! Let the Real DAWG loose in the SEC CG, and the play-offs

• Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Follow-up last post: Dom Blalock(our best slot receiver), and George Pickens(our best out receiver) will play with J.T. throwing the passes before it's over.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I get it. I believe it is a half truth about being concerned about a fast scoring UT team. The full truth, I believe, is they are a team that CAN score and KS didn't want them to. Kirby is trying to pad UGA's resume, in the off chance they get beaten by Alabama in the SECCG. I encourage you all to go look at the top 10 teams and look at some of the super slim wins they had over totally overmatched teams. Look at Ohio State. If they win out, their resume is pretty good and it might be REALLY hard to take them over UGA. But voters and media have a love fest for Ohio State, the likes, of which, UGA will never receive. If uga were to finish 12-1, with their only loss to the #1 team (if they beat uga), with all their wins being totally dominating, they might get the nod over a 1 loss Ohio state, Oregon or Oklahoma. It would be a tough sell to have two sec teams in the playoffs if Bama beats uga. Kirby was making a preemptive sales pitch against an SEC foe, on the road, about whom everyone was buzzing would give UGA difficulties. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stets has been making all the throws, not turning the ball over, PLUS making plays with his legs. JT may be able to do the first two but certainly not the third. Based on his play against Mizzou, it’s doubtful he can perform the first two better than Stets. Who gives a rats behind what the depth chart was in the summer?

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree with that, and will take it 1 step further.

“To me, when you’re playing that group and they can score fast, I’m not taking anything for granted,” Smart said. “We’re going to play our best guys and try to win the game.”........ If this was so true, then why are you, Kirby, going into prevent offense at the start of the 4th qtr. 8 passes in the entire 2nd half? Really? Sounds more like you are playing "Not to lose".

I know, the game was in hand, blah, blah, blah....... (not saying this to you btw) just a common statement. I don't care about the defense scoring average, more about having players available. By playing prevent offense, Kirby allowed 7 points, over 100 yards, and mainly 15 plays on those last 2 drives by UT. Which was 15 more chances for injuries to the starters on defense. Which turned out, did cost some.

Maybe my definition of playing to win is different. I think playing to win is having the ball and still trying to score regardless how many points you are up, and playing not to lose is playing just enough defense to not allow them to score multiple times. As in UK game and this UT game at the end. Actually, it happens a lot. Sorry. Just ranting. Means nothing. Just an opinion.

GO DAWGS!!!!!!