Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart on 12-0 record for Georgia football: ‘We’re still getting better’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,467 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart on 12-0 record for Georgia football: ‘We’re still getting better’

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart recaps the Georgia football win over Georgia Tech.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

The Dawgs are ascending, and the Tide appears to be descending.

Tide defense looked horrible last week against Arkansas and their offense hasn't been able to score a single point through 2 quarters against Auburn. Bama trailing 7-0 with 68 yards of total offense and -2 yards rushing!! We know Saban is a master of halftime adjustments, so I still expect the Tide to get their act together in the 2nd half. But, Auburn has been able to disrupt and sack Young multiple times, stuff the run game, and blanket Bama's receivers. Kirby has his playbook for being successful against the Tide next weekend.

Make that no points in 3 quarters for Bama.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not to spoil the hoopla over beating one of the worst teams in all of college football (by 10 pts less than ND beat them), but I thought I'd start the lottery. Competition is now open, to name JT Daniels' third college team.

We all look forward to the cool ESPN special for the "walk-on mailman" Stetson Bennett, the fairy tale that Kirby has obviously bought hook, line, and sinker. But I see another ESPN special down the road.

A QB is Gatorade H.S. Player of the Year as a Junior, graduates H.S. in three years (w/a 4.0 average), and starts as a Freshman at a legendary college program. Gets hurt in the first game of his Sophomore year and loses his job, no fault of his own. Transfers to an up and coming SEC powerhouse. On the pre-season Heisman watch. Gets hurt and loses his job, again no fault of his own. Delegated to mop up duty.

Transfers again. Lights it up in his final year, at [Clemson, USC, UCLA, FLORIDA? Fill in the blank and watch the story line grow.] Heads to the NFL, first round. Lights it up again.

And ESPN premieres it's special about this mental warrior who kept being disrespected but kept his mouth shut and kept on pushing: JT Daniels.

So, where does he go next, UGA fans? He could go pretty much anywhere and hand the ball off for half of the 4th quarter.

Only Kirby Smart could create a QB controversy and still end up with the best QB on his team riding the bench. That is a special talent.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bama in 4 OTs beat Auburn 24-22. Auburn led entire game until Saban pulls it out as usual. I cannot wait until UGA sends those miserable ersatz water walkers to the locker room totally defeated.....I mean defeated.

UGA 42

Bama 6

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love JT and I have spoken on here about him transferring out to another school and lighting it up. Maybe A&M, who knows. I don't confess to know what goes on in CKS 's head, he's making millions and I am not,, but for crying out loud, you couldn't get JT some throws, just in case you may need him next week-God forbid?

If there was ever any coach who was afraid of having someone question the QB he chooses it's CKS. He will make **** sure his Pre-season Heisman favorite(or one of them)whom he said all off season was the guy, doesn't get to throw it around, just in case the announcers ooh-and aah over the zip on the ball as they did last week. Just hand the ball off JT.

I swear, he may even bring JT in for a fake punt late in the 4th quarter, after not throwing in a real game situation in a while, like he did with Fields. LOL!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well I have zero, nada, zilch, use for Aub. They are an enemy. But I will say they played their hearts out vs Bama. And hopefully did our Dawgs a favor by carrying Bama to 4 OTs before finally going down. Bama having played a pretty tough game vs Ark last Sat. then this fight with Aub today perhaps they will be somewhat weary when our Dawgs face them next Sat. I am a devout Dawgs fan. I Love the Dawgs. I’ve listened to them on the radio and watched them since I was a small child. And I say this with Love and Tremendous Respect for them. But if the Dawgs can’t beat THIS particular Bama team This year, then they don’t deserve the Elite status, only Very Good, but not Great. Why do I say that ? Because This years Tide team is not nearly as powerful as Bama teams in previous years. They’ve lost one game and come extremely close to losing two others you might make a case for a third. Conversely the Dawgs have won every game except the first one by double digits. Dawgs have only trailed once for about 10 minutes to TN then went on to crush them. SO this Dawgs team IS a better team than Bama. PERIOD. The Only thing that Kirby and our Dawgs have to get past is the Psych. The fake mojo. Remember how at one time and for To Long the mud lizards had a psych hold on the Dawgs ?? Well that’s been smashed !! It’s Time to smash the Saban/Tide psych strangle hold !! I’ve about wore out the word Believe……….but not yet !! I sure hope that Kirby and our Dawgs Believe they can beat Bama. Because they Can and as long as they Believe, they Will !! Beat Bama and break that psych hold and the Dawgs WILL beat whatever teams they face in the playoffs and Win the National Title. I Believe we Will see our beloved Dawgs Win !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Yeh, if Auburn had a semblance of a QB they win that game going away, but as we have experienced before, you can't keep going 3 and out and expect to beat BAMA. Leave them a crack and they will kick the door in. You beat BAMA by keeping the pedal to the metal like Clemson did with Lawrence.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amen !! If Kirby and our Dawgs get a substantial lead, Don’t Let Up !! Keep the pedal floored !! Hopefully Kirby has learned that in a very painful way concerning Saban & Bama. I believe he has indeed and will try to stay as lights out as possible on Defense and aggressive on Offense. Having Coach Monken I believe will pay real and big dividends for our Dawgs this go around. We’ll soon see !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm on the same page as you are. Not that I would want this to happen, but, if UGA loses to bama because Bennett can't make the throws, will not be happy with the results of the game, and are just not going to know what to say. But just be more mad when people blame Kirby for the handling of JT.

UGA is not going to score that many points against Ala in 2 qtrs. UGA has not proven they can play for 4 qtrs. Everyone thinks bama played so bad on offense, but their defense was pretty good today. With the loss by OSU today, Ala has all most guaranteed a playoff berth, even with a loss to UGA next week.

If Bennett struggles, and is trailing Ala, and Kirby brings in JT, UGA will not win. Not enough reps. But who knows. Maybe they have mastered the offense and is able to score on every possession. Then all this is for not. And they go on to win the NC and everything is great in the land of the DAWGS. If so, great. Next week the country will find out if it's all talk or not.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s amazing how wonderful JT has played this year if only in the otherwise empty heads of a few of these commenters. I have watched every minute of every game since JT has been a Dawg. I have yet to see the elite NFL arm talent. He’s made some very nice throws against some very average to poor defenses. I have also seen Stets make some very nice throws against the best defenses we have played this year. Against two decent defenses the past two years, Cincy and Clemson, JT had every opportunity to showcase his NFL acumen. Against Cincy, we got the win on a miraculous field goal…not superior QB play. Clemson…a defensive TD…virtually nothing from the QB position.

• Options
    DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

IMO, we will get Bama’s best shot Saturday. They are playing for their playoff lives. Being ranked #1 should mean the Dawgs will handle their business and put them away. That being said, it will be a hard fought game. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oh and make someone other than #1 for Bama beat UGA, and block #31…. That should be a recipe for success

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

When the coach can depend on the players to police each other, that coach will be very successful, as will the entire team.

• Options

You don't need to trash JT to support Stetson. I think that Stetson has earned the right to be the starter but if Kirby puts JT in, I will support him without reservation or hesitation. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options

The only way to stop this Alabama offense is to put heavy pressure on the QB each and every play (abuse the right tackle). With no pressure, his decision making and throws were spot on but under pressure both were way off. Auburn lost because they played "prevent" on the last drive.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

But wasn't good enough to win the job back at a weak, and consistently overrated USC program, after his injury.. That speaks volumes. QB's get injured regularly, most are talented enough, and willing to work to re-claim their starting job, not transfer. Unless Daniels knew Slovis was the more talented QB..

• Options

Auburn lost because their defense was spent on the last drive of regular play. They had zero get off at the line of scrimmage. Give Young credit, the way the Auburn defense played ((95 % of other QB's would have been harassed into throwing 2-3 interceptions during the game) but to his credit he was cool as a cucumber, when Auburn had the ball he sat on the bench away from other players with complete emotional detachment. I never saw him look discouraged or frown at anyone when something went wrong. He wasn't rah-rah either, just locked in. He had a job to do and he did it. 95% of other QB's couldn't have done what he did on that last drive. He made great throws when he absolutely had to. Give the guy props.

We have played great defense most of the year. Auburn's defense was the best I've seen in any 1 game this year, or for most of 4 quarters. I hope our defense will rise to that same level of play and even better. I know Auburn played man on man in the secondary most of the game. I don't think that is our style of play, we play a lot of zone. We'll see.