Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

‘Ascending’ Georgia bigger favorite over Alabama after Saturday dominance, line jumps

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
image‘Ascending’ Georgia bigger favorite over Alabama after Saturday dominance, line jumps

AUBURN, Ala. — SEC Championship Game combatants Georgia and Alabama capped their regular seasons with road wins over in-state rivals on Saturday afternoon, but the games were nothing alike.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

The Dawgs are ascending while the Tide is descending...too many very close games for the Tide against inferior opponents. Sloppy defense and undisciplined play. Bryce Young has had some brilliant performances, and he's really the main reason that Bama has only lost one game. This is definitely not a Tide team that the Dawgs need to fear.

Now Bama WR Williams was out much of the game yesterday due to a targeting penalty. He's very dangerous, but I think we can cover him or at least keep him from big plays. Bryce Young is going to pick us apart if we give him enough time in the pocket. Auburn's defense showed Kirby the blueprint for how to stop the Tide. Heavy pressure on Young (Auburn had 7 sacks), control the line of scrimmage and stuff the run game. Auburn's secondary did a marvelous job at sticking to Bama's receivers. Our guys are going to need to do the same.

It's not rocket science. Kirby, the coaches, and the team knows they are much better than the Tide this time around. Dawgs win by 2 touchdowns at least. No excuses. Finish the drill, Get 'er done...on to the playoffs.

GO DAWGS!!!

CFP Top 5 prediction come this Tuesday...

Dawgs

Michigan

Cincinnati

Bama

Notre Dame

Oklahoma State probably moves to #6 until after the game against Baylor next weekend. Win that one and they may muddle the playoff picture considerably depending on the other Championship outcomes.

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The only disappointment here was not seeing JT Daniels start the second half and get some meaningful snaps. We've been over it a thousand times on this site, Stetson is our QB but for some reason I can't shake the feeling he's just not "elite". We will see if we're good enough to win with a great "game manager".

Go Dawgs!

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Alabama O-line got dominated for most of the game by the Auburn D-line. Makes you think we will see more of that from front seven.

I think we'll see Young rolling out of the pocket much more often against the Dawgs.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

Bryce Young does not deserve the Heisman, Jordan Davis has outshined overhyped 5* players all season. Unless you're a QB, RB, or WR, the chances of winning the Heisman are slim to none. Last defensive player to win the Heisman was Charles Woodson (who actually played both offense and defense, so not a completely true Defensive player) from Michigan, 24 years ago..GoDAWGS!

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dawgs 38 Bama 17

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I was a little frustrated by that, to be honest. Here's the thing. It makes no sense at all to me that Daniels wouldn't get a quarter or two's worth of throws to knock a good amount of that rust off, in case he's needed. It also makes no sense to me that Smart simply wouldn't realize that that decision makes no sense, yet it was made anyway. I have no idea how to reconcile these two things, so I don't see what choice I have but to chalk it up as one of life's mysteries and move on. Hopefully it won't matter. And with the way this TEAM is playing, there's a good chance that it won't.

E_Roc, the only way I can explain it is that it's one of two areas CKS needs growth in, IMO. He's shown an inability to manage the QB situation. The other area IMO is clock management at the end of the half. He goes totally conservative way to often. To me that's a great time to practice the two minute offense under game conditions, especially when you have a lead....

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

I disagree with your first point. Forgive me for being blunt, and this isn't directed at you personally, but I think it's little more than a tired trope. Obviously, that reputation all stems from the Fields situation. It's been debated to death, so I'll try to keep this succinct. To fault Smart for Fields' decision to leave, you have to accept one of two premises: either Smart should have used a season with championship potential to see if a true freshman was up to the task of leading the team to that championship as the starter, or that Fields would have been satisfied with anything short of being the starter. I never saw any evidence that either of those things was true/valid, so I don't think this criticism that Smart "drove Fields away" (as it's so often framed) is reasonable. I'm not here to tell you Smart is infallible. I do think he mismanaged the situation a bit, just in the opposite way to what is the popular perception. I think if anything, he went too far out of his way to accommodate one player, throwing off the rhythm/chemistry to give him reps in "meaningful" situations. But in the end, that mistake came and went, and I don't see it as any basis for a negative reputation years later. We saw him flirt with it again this year (I want to say in the SC game) when Bennett abruptly came in for a series. But it was as if the lesson quickly clicked again, and we haven't seen it since.

I don't care if it's an unpopular opinion; I think overall Smart has done at least a decent job of managing the quarterbacks. And that's why this recent situation with Daniels is so puzzling.

As for your second point, I honestly haven't been paying enough attention to the level of urgency in those specific situations to say much about it. Maybe you're right. But even still, it's a pretty good problem to have that one could argue we aren't aggressive enough in our many, many blowouts.

E_Roc, not beating a dead horse, I respect your opinion and appreciate a discussion of opinions and points. I wasn't specifically highlighting the Fields situation and not being defensive. This is just my opinion so I will make my point with a question. I've brought this up before, do we need to bring a 5 star QB in every year? To me that puts CKS in the position of having to make those tough decisions every year. I think a 5 star every other year would be more in order, give them time to develop and a couple of years starting barring significant injury.

Start with Jacob Eason, bring in Jake Fromm, then Justin Fields in consecutive years. Carson Beck (4 star) recruited, Newman comes in, JT Daniels in the same year. Brock Vandigriff, Gunner Stockton in consecutive years, both Daniels and Bennett still have eligibility. At some point if I'm a QB at UGA, as a player I have to worry where I fit, if I'm Coach Smart managing that many thoroughbreds has to be tough.

On the other hand it could be looked at as a good problem, I guess that's why we have the debate and why Kirby makes the big bucks.