Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart stock soaring, coaching carousel sets up record Georgia payday

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart stock soaring, coaching carousel sets up record Georgia payday

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart isn’t counting his chickens yet, but soon after the Bulldogs complete their likely championship run he’ll be counting his money.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

Kirby is certainly deserving based on the contracts being doled out to head coaches who have won nothing. That being said, college football is officially broke.

Kelly leaves ND on the cusp of a playoff berth for $10M to 15M. Riley cashes out and follows the millions to USC. It’s only going to get worst! The one and only reason these schools can dole out these insane contracts is they don’t have to pay their workforce. Amateur athletics my behind!

I hate to say it, but if I were a top 100 recruit, schools need me more than I need any particular one of them. My first question to recruiters would be, “How much is guaranteed in NIL per year?” Less than a mil? Move on!

Every school that is in the market for top 100 players and can pay tens of millions to a coach has all that is needed to get me to the next level. The education I get will be top notch regardless of where I put my butt in a classroom seat on whatever campus. My real job on campus is to maximize my potential as a player and market the university’s brand so they can afford to pay my coach or buy him out. Show me the money!

Like Kelly and Riley, my one and only allegiance is me!

As sad as this is, this exactly where our sport is headed!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

Jimminy Christmas....can't believe the perks Riley is getting at USC. WOW. Hopefully, he can bring some relevance back to USC and the PAC-12, because the "wanna be" Ducks ain't doing it.

Speaking of the coaching carousel...

Not surprised by Brian Kelly's move to LSU. He's the winningest coach in ND history and taken Notre Dame about as far as they can go in both wins and recruiting (all Top 20 classes since 2010). Since ND is an Independent they are hampered in both recruiting and their ability to win a National Championship. Sure, they've made it to the playoffs twice, but they have been manhandled both times and completely destroyed. And the Dawgs have beat them twice. Kelly is 1-8 against Top 10 teams since arriving at ND in 2010. He can probably bring in better recruits in the SEC and specifically at LSU, but can he compete with the likes of Saban and Smart in head-to-head battles? We'll see. With the playoffs expanding he does have a better chance of getting an LSU team in the playoffs. However, he didn't gain a lot of followers at ND and only a handful of ND fans that I know really respect him as a coach.

And I'm surprised at the Bobo firing after just one season, but I was also surprised when Auburn fired the winningest head coach in the SEC against Saban and Bama - Gus Malzahn.

As far as Kirby goes, if he wins a National Championship then I'd pay him anything he wants. If he falls short then he's still going to be deserving of a raise, but a win will boost recruiting for sure. We just can't fall flat on any of these high stakes games. Dawgs have the #1 recruiting classes right now for both 2022 and '23. Gotta pay to play these days and the stakes keep getting higher. Playoff expansion just means more revenue too. Heck, you can make more money coaching at the college level than the pros, but the amount of overtime work is pretty brutal in college when it comes to recruiting.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's good to be Kirby. And it's great to be a Georgia Bulldog!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And some people think he didn't go to LSU because he didn't want to compete in the SEC.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

Just hearing Clemson's Brent Venables has been approached about the Oklahoma HC position...let's hope another DC we all know and love doesn't get a call...at least just yet.

Shane Beamer another candidate.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2021

....."Limited pass game?" Dang Mike, you mean the limited pass game where the QB's first 10 passes last week went to 9 different receivers, with one drop?

The only limitation on UGA's passing game is the huge thumb the HC keeps on his offense, a thumb which needs to go in his pocket in the next month...

• Options
    KickJudyKickJudy Posts: 80 ✭✭ Sophomore

When you win a National Championships like The Dawgs are on the cusp of doing again, other top colleges go after your assistant coaches. Coach Smart knows this and probably has a plan in place. I would love to see what this group we have now can accomplish in the next couple of years, the sky's the limit. We have the recruits coming.