Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia stock report: Nakobe Dean wins Butkus Award, Brock Bowers explodes

2»

Comments

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

400 yards and a game winning drive against one of the better pass defenses in the country that was clearly eager to make a name for itself against us, with virtually 0 support from the run game. You might not call that "lighting up" a defense, but it's pretty **** impressive for a low point.

In week 1, he played through an injury that was serious enough to keep him out of the next game, against what is now the nation's #2 scoring defense and with pretty much all of his would-be top receiving targets either out or considerably limited. Pointing to that game as a reason to doubt him, like it was simply a poor performance, is a pretty disingenuous argument.

Daniels has a higher ceiling and a higher floor. And for all the arguing and hand wringing, I haven't seen anyone guarantee victory if he were to be named the starter. The point is, we know what doesn't work. Let's try something else, maybe with the guy who Smart himself wanted to be the starter at the beginning of the season. Given the inexplicable lack of reps he's received over the past few weeks, it may be too late to try to get him into post-season form. But we'll never know if we never try.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ShoottheHooch...I never called any of our receivers in that post "elite". I said we had a deeper and better receiving group than Bama and the best - by far - in the playoffs. Elite Pickens is back and made a great catch against Bama. I'd call Jackson and Burton top receivers - maybe not elite yet but very good. Mitchell is good and will be better. McConkey, Bowers, Washington all very good. Rosemy needs more playing time. We've got the best group of TEs in the country. And yes, everyone has dropped balls.

We have more than enough offensive weapons, but IMHO we need JT Daniels to take advantage of the more accurate long ball, the back shoulder throw, and the tighter lanes. Daniels is far from perfect, and he does throw interceptions. But his arm is definitely better than Stet.

And I agree with you - I don't know if even Daniels is good enough to bring home the trophy. I was never sold 100% on him all along and didn't ever believe all the hype. But, I think he's the best we've got - assuming he gets playing time and isn't too far gone by sitting on the bench.

Saban has proved time and again that he is a much better coach than anybody else on this planet. And No, I don't trust Kirby to always make the right decisions concerning QBs. We cruised into the SEC Championship and got hammered. When is the last time you've seen a Saban team get embarrassed like that? Our offense couldn't score enough points even though we had the ball for almost 10 minutes longer than Bama. Stet couldn't get it done and threw 2 interceptions (could have been 3 or 4), was confused by the defensive schemes, and looked flustered.

If Stet remains the main guy at QB and JT gets very little - if any - serious playing time, then I say we won't win the Natty. I stick by that opinion, but I'd love to eat my words at the end of the season.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel weird saying this, but I really hope you're right about Daniels' health. I don't hope it for him, obviously - quite the opposite - but if that's not the explanation, then it would seem to imply much bigger issues that we have as a program.

This is starting to feel a lot like last year, when we found out at the end that Daniels wasn't as ready to come back from the one injury as he was made out to be.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2021

Sorry for the book in advance

I read several comments and everyone had something that I agree with. Offense and defense both struggled.

But they main problem is kirby. CBS put up a stat, 11 throws by Bennett in the 4th qtr. That is all you need to know. All backups combined only have around 25, if that high. Young and Bama had thrown the ball way more then that in the 4th qtr. I know the scores are different, theirs were close and ours were blowouts. That does not matter, period. Kirby always talks about reps. Just because you are winning 37-0, throwing the ball 5-8 times in the entire 2nd half, is an absolute fail. Friend or "nice guy" or not, you get after it. You hang 50, 60 whatever it takes to get more reps in the passing game.

The difference between kirby and the G.O.A.T, is Saban doesn't care about your feelings. Proof is this. Count the number of passes Young has thrown in the 2nd half vs Bennett AND the backups. I would not be surprised if its atleast 3 to. Not enough reps.

I honestly believe JT is done for the year. And kirby has begged him not to say anything yet. So teams still have to prepare for him. I hope I'm wrong, but just not sure. This whole kirby response about being able to bring the dimension of running, doesn't fly with me. If so, why didn't he play Fields? Just saying.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Other than a few mentioned players the entire team's stock was down.

The Dawgs looked flat on television.

I talked to someone who was in the stadium with seats very close to the team on the sideline. They told me the Dawgs looked flat in real life, too, on the sidelines and on the field. They said it looked like the Dawgs didn't care whether they won or lost the game.

I'm not saying any of us can read their minds or see into their agendas or motivations, but they looked flat to me.

How can you be flat in the SECC?

Answer: Rat Poison, and inflated egos, and a too early pregame celebration.

In my view, that's all on Kirby & Company.

With a nod to the team leaders who didn't lead. (Certainly they didn't lead well enough. Losing is bad. Losing bad and not looking competitive is worse.)

We'll lose to Michigan, too, if all that isn't fixed big time.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey again my Brother !! Did you see where I responded to your response to me lol ?? Anyway on Fields I’m sure you remember but I wanted to remind other Dawgs fans. His Daddy pretty much gave Kirby an ultimatum in the recruiting process !! He flat out told Kirby that if his son didn’t play Allot and Soon that they would transfer !! Justin had said he and Fromm had become Very good friends. I’m sure on that. And I think they roomed together. But I’m not sure on that. My point is I’m not sure if, at least at that moment in time Justin himself was all that thrilled about leaving UGA. But Daddy wanted him out of UGA in a snap. I was telling my wife about your posts and she like me totally agrees with you !! She went even further she said that Saban and Kirby and the ADs ar Bama and UGA made an Agreement for Bama to win the SECCG in exchange for UGA to win the National Title when they face each other Again !! Saban is a Great Coach, a Master at both preparing his team and making the necessary changes Before and During the game. And maybe the Dawgs did buy into rat poison and some how underestimate Bama. That would take Allot of rat poison. BUT on both counts that would have wore off pretty quickly. Did anyone notice how Nice the two teams were being to each other ?? I mean I’m a Huge fan of good sportsmanship. I think it’s a very wonderful thing. But one would think This would be a bitter rivalry. One would think that there would be some pushing and shoving and even close to fighting. But no they were smiling at each other. Patting each other on the helmet and shoulder pads. One of our guys helped a Bama player get up. I’m not knocking those things at all that’s good sportsmanship. And you Need discipline to keep from getting called on a personal foul. But as the game wore on doesn’t it seem a little odd that our guys were so nice toward them ?? And with the exception of doing the Karate Kid thing they were very nice to our guys to. I don’t care if Saban is the greatest coach to ever walk the earth I can’t see how in just One Week he turned an O Line that was like Swiss Cheese into a Premier O Line. And conversely our D line that had destroyed rival O Lines all year except Clemson, turned into the Powder Puff Boys. They must have ate crates of rat poison !! And what did Kirby tell them “OK take the night off boys”. If the Dawgs manage to beat Michigan and Bama def Cincy and face each other Again the probability is the gamblers and Vegas will have Bama winning it. Probably by allot. So the Dawgs will win if that’s the case. Something sure odd about what happened.

• Options

Lol I’m responding to you Twice on this thread !! Thanks Brother !! You have rekindled my fire !! OK as of Right Now this moment, I’m letting go of last Sat debacle and looking on to Michigan. I’ll give them their due they do appear to be a Very good team. And they are obviously hungry. But our Dawgs are now a bitter team with a Huge chip on their shoulder. Our Dawgs are eager to soothe some of that pain and humiliation they felt last Sat. They are chaffing at the bit now to Prove they belong. So they don’t want to just beat Michigan, they want to Destroy them. That said I think this is gonna be a Great game Even for people who ain’t necessarily Dawgs or Wolverines fans. I think this game is gonna be a Very, Very hard fought contest for Both teams. But I think that our Dawgs will get the Win. Don’t mess with a Rabid Dawg and that’s what they are now. They Want to win now, in a weird way More than last Sat. They know the Only way to make that pain go away is WIN !! And they Will !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sorry. I either didn't say it correctly or you misunderstood me. Yes, Fields played. I know that. I was saying this in response to what kirby always says. Yes, Fields made mistakes as does Bennett. So if they both make mistakes and kirby is bent on using Bennett because of his mobility, then maybe he should of used Fields for his mobility. Not saying it would be the right decision, just saying to apples to apples. Not saying Fields was as good as Bennett, or that Fromm is as good as JT. They are just comparable with each other. Fields-Bennett, and Fromm-JT. Basically, I just saying, kirby shouldn't say he does something but when it's proven he doesn't.

I do agree and I've always thought so, Fields was a system qb at OSU.

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

The thing I was most concerned about with Stetson's play was his execution of the running game, which is supposed to be his strength over JT. He did have one good run on a scramble on third and 15 that picked up 14 yards, but two plays before that he passed on what would have been an easy 10+ yard gain an instead chose to throw a much more difficult pass that sailed out of the end zone. He ended up with 11 total yds (counting sacks) and never was able to break out for the bootleg on the read-option play. He consistently was misreading the play, pulling the ball from the RB when they had numbers on the sweep and handing off when the field side LB was crashing down behind the play.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigMike...Well, I see it differently.

Bama lost by 3 points in a game that could have gone either way against A&M. They weren't embarrassed. They have struggled against several teams this season - but still won all those games except A&M, and actually the win over Auburn in 4 OTs makes the DAWGS look worse than makes Bama look. I mean, Auburn was able to sack Young 7 times!! We couldn't sack Young once!! Auburn's performance just shows you how well they prepared and how much they wanted to win the Iron Bowl. Like was said below, the Dawgs looked "flat" and uninspired. How do you not get up for the SECC???

Dawgs were embarrassed - majorly - and I don't see Bama being embarrassed at all this season. We got killed Saturday.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congratulations to Nakobe Dean.😎

• Options
    edited December 2021

Hello again Big Mike !! Thx Brother !! We live out in rural country about 55 miles south of Macon. My wife’s home area. I’m originally from Laurens County (Dublin). Both my brothers older and younger both Navy, still live there with their families. Older brother like me spent 8 yrs got out. Younger brother got out but went back and retired !! Won’t loan me any $$$ lol !!Maybe we can figure a way to keep in contact other than here. God Bless !! Merry Christmas !! Go Dawgs !!