Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football podcast: UGA fans’ QB concerns briefly overshadow Playoff excitement

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's plain to see. Daniels reads the defense much faster. Has better field vision and processes through his read progressions faster than Bennett. Bennett's 13 of 44 3rd-4th down completion percentage is just not getting it done at a high enough rate.

Bennett gives you a run threat. That is Bennett's only advantage over Daniels. Any two - minute offense needs to complete passes for first downs. Many of those on 3rd and (name the yardage) Daniels gives you a better chance of being successful in that type of situation.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

So, is that why JT led us on 2 TD drives TOTAL against the #8 and #19 teams. That included 1 TD pass in 2 games…….while Stetson accounted for 48 points in 2 games against the #1 team. I guess you are saying it’s better to have great vision and never score. Makes a lot of sense to me. You must be one of those fans who love to bash Stetson for only scoring 24 points against the #1 team and you applaud JT for scoring 3 points against the #19 team. I totally get it….I think.

• Options
    GramsterGramster Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'll say it again, for most Dawg fans I know it is NOT about JT's prowess or Stetson's inability...it is about 24 points twice against a better than the average very fast defense. It is about Kirby stating that he has full faith in Stetsons AND JT, yet with nothing to lose and trailing by 17 he didn't even consider JT as an option.

Personally I am a numbers nerd, and as such I am more concerned that only ONE of the last 21 SECCG would have been won with 24 points. Further, averaging 24 points in the SECCG in the last 11 years when it takes averaging 43 points would equal zero SECCGs. Here's one more stat to chew on, the average points by the winner of the CFP Natty is 40.5 points. Further, 24 points would not have won a single one of those 7 finals. We know what Stetsons limitations are, and maybe he is the better choice over JT, but if Kirby has full faith in JT yet is good with sending Stetson back out there a third time just hoping that 24 points will be enough, so be it. He's the coach.

• Options

Gramster,

I don’t disagree that we need to score more than 24, but I’m absolutely positive you wouldn’t get that from JT. He couldn’t score more than 3 points against #19 Clemson. Good grief

Also, the much adored Justin Fields only scored 24 points against Bama last year in the NC game, hit 51% of his passes for 194 yards and 1TD. I’m a numbers guy just like you and I can clearly see Fields should have been benched based on your logic. BTW, the Fields led team lost 52-24 so he needed to score a lot more points, even more than Bennett failed to do.

also, the year before, Trevor Lawrence in the NC game only scored 25 points and hit 48% of his passes (zero TD passes) so I would have benched his sorry a$$ too based on your logic.

• Options
    ponceinletdawgfanponceinletdawgfan Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

I’d add to this, most people on here are not trashing SB. I think most are saying if SB’s not getting it done, why not try something else? If JT was playing and not getting it done, I’d assume most would agree in that case to try SB…

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm personally tired of the QB controversy, my thinking is in line with those who believe we're not getting the truth about JT Daniels. I don't care at this point who we trot out the next game, maybe two. I wonder what we look like next year, does the QB situation get any clearer? Daniels and Bennett have another year of eligibility. We have Beck, Vandigriff and Stockton coming in. We're overly rich in the QB room but still have no "elite" leadership, that's on CKS.

• Options
    gafanlivinginalgafanlivinginal Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

What I don't understand is why Smart did borrow a page from Saban's playbook and play the backup QB midway thru the 3rd qtr? It's worked twice against GA.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ummm… the discussion has been about putting up 35-42 points, not running one drive, or scoring 3 points… 🤣

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the theory that something is up with Daniels that isn't being communicated is the reason we keep seeing Bennet in games. It's the only thing that makes sense. JT didn't throw a single warm up ball and his helmet was nowhere to be seen the entire game. He knew he wasn't going in.

The real question is, "Why aren't we seeing some actual journalism here? Why haven't one of the dawgnation hacks put their detective hats on gotten to the bottom of this."

That's what real journalists do.

• Options
    Beachbike2000Beachbike2000 Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

What the heck is up with JT and why the heck didn't he get any reps in the Bama game??

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From Aaron Murray, an assessment with which I agree:

“If I had to rank them in order of what cost Georgia the game against Alabama, it would be d-line (first). No pressure at all. You should have dominated. There’s no reason why Auburn and LSU and all these other teams can put pressure on Bryce Young but the best defensive line in America couldn’t sniff him. D-line, issue No. 1. Second issue: DBs. Out of position over and over and over again. Double-coverage guys, and give credit, Williams has elite speed, he has world-class speed, he ran through double-teams left and right, but still there was an issue with the secondary that was glaring throughout the ball game. But I still think the defensive line, if you’re able to get pressure, you don’t give the quarterback that much time to throw the ball down the field.

“Third issue: receivers. Besides (Brock) Bowers, if you watch the coach’s tape, no one is open. No one. The biggest plays they had were screen plays, easy hitters that then they could run because of great blocking. They could not get open down the field.

“Stetson played great in the first half, and then the second half… The first interception you could blame him, the tight end kinda stopped running, a little bit both. The second interception I’ll put on Stetson. But Stetson was not the main reason why Georgia lost the football game. There were plenty of other issues that need to be corrected against Alabama if they’re gonna wanna beat them in a second opportunity if they do make it to a national championship.”

• Options
    GramsterGramster Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

Trevor Lawrence beat Bama once didn't he, one for one if I recall correctly... Justin Fields lost to Bama the first time, didn't play against them a second time did he? Stetson has had two shots with the exact same results. As for JT, you may be right, he may or may not score more than 24 points against Bama if their is a rematch this year, hopefully we'll know (if indeed Kirby has such full confidence in him as he portrays in public)

• Options

Yep you’re right….you are totally clueless. Cincinnati was the #8 team where your boy was 1 for 11 on first down conversions. BTW, we scored 24 points (mostly field goals and a safety) in that game and you constantly destroy Bennett because he only scored 24 against the #1 team both years, but you were impressed when JT scored the same against a far weaker team. The 19th ranked team is Clemson where your hero led us to 3 points……hmmmmm, 3 points in an entire game. Wow, impressive Dawgforlife, very impressive stuff….now I know why you are a fan…..NOT!!! You don’t have a clue, but JT needs a fan club made up of folks like you.

• Options

Did Ohio State and Clemson pull Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence when they were getting massacred by the SEC champions over the past 2 years? Heck no so why pull Bennett since he was doing better than those 2 no name players. Seriously, what’s the difference?

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

BA,

I appreciate the honest call for more transparency in how and why things are being done on the field in terms of personnel. As fans, we have been left to believe there is an embarrasssment of riches at QB just waiting to be unleashed, yet that moment never comes, even when up 45-0 or 34-10 late in games. Your use of the term "gaslighting" of these inquiries was astute and appropriate here, in my opinion.

While we all understand the Kirby and his staff are being paid millions to win, and we are just the armchair masses, I think Kirby has lost sight that the fans fund this program, whether through booster activities, ticket sales, merchandise sales, tv deals (which always presume viewers will translate into spenders on the products), his Ford commercials and other avenues. We are being asked both implicitly or explicitly to keep showing up, buying tickets, buying product and/or consuming media content, all on on faith that he knows best. Is it unreasonable for him to entertain the deeper curiosity level from us after we shelled out hundreds, or thousands in some cases, for tickets to the mind-blowing debacle that was the SECCG?

(edited for spelling)