Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Quarterback questions still loom as Georgia football looks ahead to Michigan

SystemSystem Posts: 10,549 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: Quarterback questions still loom as Georgia football looks ahead to Michigan

Georgia football will take on Michigan in the College Football Playoff

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

I just love the drama

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ok,OK, Give SB a 3rd start against BAMA. I'm sure it will be different this time! I mean it has to be, right?

• Options

One thing is for certain though, if I were CKS and I did plan on starting JT, I wouldn't tell anyone.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ditto!!! I actually appreciated Jeff, Brandon and Connor being more thoughtful about our QB issues. Mike, not so much because he remains so biased against Bennett. I understand the frustrations we are all having, but did Justin Fields get benched in his 52-24 loss this past January to Bama? Or was Trevor Lawrence benched in his 42-25 loss to LSU in 2020 or Tua in his 44-16 loss to Clemson in 2019? Also, in 2018 both Bama and UGA only scored 20 points in regulation. I find it interesting that Bennett is battered non-stop for only scoring 24 points each time he’s faced Bama, but no one mentions in the past 4 NC games that Tua had (16 points), Trevor (25), Justin (24), Fromm (20) and Tua/Hurts (20)…….and Stetson played as well or better than those superstars. I think our expectations and disappointments blind us from appreciating how hard it is to face extremely good teams.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

SB hasn't played in a NC game to my recollection.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am excited for the players on this one - I think they are going to come out and dominate on defense and give the Michigan QB little if no time to throw. This will be a make it right game and I can't wait to see it!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Your argument for not replacing Bennett because Fields was not replaced when llosing by a similar amount, actually supports swapping out Bennett for JT. In the case of OSU (or Clemson vs LSU or Bama against Clemson), the star QB was in and that was the best the team could do. Replacing Fields with a backup would be a step down. Why would the score get any better? In UGA’s situation, a backup was able to produce at the same level a 5 star did against Bama the year before. If a backup couple produce 24 points, just think how many more a talented QB could put up.

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Everyone is blaming the lost to Alabama on Bennett. It wasn't Bennett who gave up 35 points. He contributed 6 in a game where the play calling didn't help him out much. Receivers was not getting to much separation as well. I do think Kirby should have pulled him when we didn't score any points the second time in the red zone. Kirby loyalty to players sometimes hurt the team. If Daniels was the season starter, how is it that he lost his job because of a injury. This is the same thing that happened to Eason when Fromm took over. This is a bad imagine for Kirby with QB decisions. I wouldn't want to be a QB at Georgia if I know I am the starting QB and once I get hurt my job is gone if the backup is playing well. Why Pickens didn't play much, when he is one of the best receivers on the team? Why Washington and his big 6 foot 7 frame is not being more involved in the passing game? Why the OC didn't isolate Cook on a linebacker or safety? Why no slant passes for easy throws? No crossing routes or more deep passes? It is a lot of things Georgia could have done, but didn't do, it is not on Bennett. To top it out, the defensive coordinator and defensive players had no clue nor answer on how to stop Alabama.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your questions near the end of your post were exactly what I was wondering! We needed to score points quickly and I could not figure out why the slow drives.

Part of me has wondered (at least some tongue in cheek) that Kirby knew we were in the playoffs and he wanted to try to prevent serious injuries, and to maybe sandbag a little. Yeah, I know it's a stretch, but the whole team just did not seem ready, except for maybe Bowers, McConkey, and Dean.

I don't understand DW0 not getting more uses. He's blocked his butt of this year, and I think he needs to be used as a scoring weapon...was so glad to see the TD pass to him!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I still believe you need a great defense to keep every game from coming down to the last possession like a lot of Big 12 games. With that said, you absolute must be able to score in the passing game because somewhere along the way you're going to have to play from behind and need to score quickly.

In my opinion, great players play well more times than not against the best competition. JT's toughest opponents were Cincinnati and Clemson, and both resulted in wins. Bennett's toughest opponent has been Bama twice and resulted in losses.

• Options

TUA and BAMA lost to LSU in regular season in 2019. Burrow and company had BAMA down 33-13 at the half. Tua led BAMA back outscoring LSU in the 2nd half 28-13! Against that LSU team but fell just short of a victory. If they had pulled that game off they more than likely won another NC. Tua threw for over 400 yards and 4 TD's, but it wasn't enough against that LSU team that some have called the team of the century.

Yeh, SB is better than TUa was. RIght . THat LSU team did make JF look like SB. He threw over 40 times and completed less than half his passes for 225 yards.

THat same LSU team came back against Clemson after taking an early gut punch and the shut down Clemson the rest of the way (only 7 points in the 2nd half for Clemson) and LSU won going away. Lawrence only threw for 24o yards completing less than half his passes. LSU had a good defense. BUt Tua almost pulled off a major comeback.

How anyone compares SB to LAwrence or Tua is beyond me.

Justin Fields lost because BAMA was clearly the better team. It had more star power, like 6 -1st round draft picks or close to it.

BAMA doesn't have that this year (this year we have the star power) and we still got boat raced. Fields did throw for 6 TD's in a playoff win against Clemson. Reckon any UGA QB will ever match that in a playoff game?

Surely SB will since the numbers say he's just as good if not betetr, is that your point?

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It doesn’t make a dime’s worth of difference who gets the start at QB if the wide outs continue to play at a mediocre level. It doesn’t matter whose hand the ball comes out of if the QB is continually having to throw the ball out of bounds or risking picks throwing it into extremely tight coverage.

Very few of Stets’ completions this year have been easy receptions to wide open wide outs. We marvel at great contested catches and never concern ourselves about why it was necessary for the throw to be made into almost impossible coverage. Then, we become impossibly critical of the QB when some of those throws into impossible coverage are picked or very nearly picked.

What would this season’s offense have been like without Bower’s? Put JT in? Okay! Are the receivers, sans Bowers, going to magically start creating some separation? Or, are we going to have an immobile QB who is unable to escape the pocket to move the ball downfield with his legs or get the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack?

For all the bashing of Bennett, if JT had been the starter after his recovery and the receivers performed like they have all season, JT would be being bashed for being over rated and Stets would be everyone’s darling and Kirby would be an idiot for not giving him a chance.

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Captain Obvious couldn't have written a better title to this article. I wonder why Kirby can't fathom such.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Michigan is stronger than Bama on defense. Not as agile but stronger. Knowing this, they might be able to put a hurt on Stetson if he does not leave the pocket and quickly. Then what? They have Heisman type pass rushers on the perimeters. UGA must come up with a whole nother strategy to beat this very tough opponent on defense. OSU could not handle them. I am very concerned. Stets does not airmail very quickly...at least not always accurately, but, he is elusive. Is JT elusive enough to out run a pass rush? He is a quick deliverer of the airmail...and generally accurate. That is his big plus. How will UGA score? Michigan State went with a strong RPO against Michigan as I recall on offense. They were not as big on the defensive line but very quick. Got to the QB. On offense they used RBs as runners and receivers...plus had excellent blocking ability. I do not think passing was a strong suit for either team. Could be wrong...weak memory. I do know this...Michigan is huge on the defensive front line! But agility is not their forte.'

UGA is in for another do or die battle....IMO.

• Options

I agree with your thoughts, but the last sentence is actually pro-Bennett because JT could only score 1 TD pass and 2 INTs in 2 complete games against the #9 and #19 teams in the country. Stetson’s 3 TDs and 2 INTs were in a single game against the #1 team in the country. I don’t think we are comparing apples here.

• Options

My points were absolute facts. We lost while scoring 24 points and Tua, Justin, Jake and Trevor lost their biggest games by scoring less than 22 points on average. I understand they are all losses, but it puts Bennett’s loss in perspective. Still losses…I get it, but quit implying that JT would have outperformed all those Heisman trophy candidates when facing great competition. That’s definitely a world of make believe.

• Options
    edited December 2021

Wow……you are soooooo incredibly correct. Great post and I couldn’t have said it better. That’s kinda like what I was trying to express regarding GREAT QBs who didn’t play as well as Bennett in the big games and lost because their teammates let them down. It’s definitely a team sport and focusing on 1 player is naive at best. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think JT is also gets the edge at the line of scrimmage/audibles to offset the defensive scheme in the moment, as well as his options/progressions after the snap. Hopefully, Kirby is listening hard to Monken on this decision for starter and mid-game adjustments as needed... and whoever gets behind center exceeds everyone's expectations! Go Dawgs!

• Options

I'm not implying JT would necesarrily do any better than SB. I think the opposite is true with you. You are implying there is no way JT could do better than SB. Am I right or did I miss read it?

We know what SB has done in the biggest games he's played in against the best teams. He's like 6 TD's and 6 interceptions against a very good(but not great) Fla team last year and against BAMA last year(great) and this year(very good)..

In JT's 2 biggest games, we's won. SB is 0-3. Jt,played hurt against Clemson. Those are the facts. Not implying anything. If SB had led UGA to victories in any of those games I could care less what he threw for or how many TD's. HEck, Buck Belue only had 1 complettion in the win against Notre Dame, Who cares? I don't put those losses squarely on SB. But the fact is we had leads and lost them in each of those games and he couldn't muster anything that resembled a comeback- he started throwing interceptions in each of those games after we got behind. That's a fact. It seems to be what he does. He gets impatient and misses coverages or receivers.

You want to give SB another shot at BAMA, I get that. i confess don't know what JT would do, given the start. But I do know this-he's never lost at UGA.

Please answer one question for everyone on the board. Are you related to SB or are you a personal friend of his?