Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dan Lanning thanks Kirby Smart, makes official statement on becoming Oregon head coach

SystemSystem Posts: 10,546 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageDan Lanning thanks Kirby Smart, makes official statement on becoming Oregon head coach

Dan Lanning made his official statement on becoming the Oregon head coach.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

I'm not worried at all and very happy for Dan. Muschamp easily steps into the position along with Schumann. Recruiting is where Dan excelled and is my biggest concern (btw, Dawgs just dropped to #2 after #1 Bama in the latest 2022 recruiting rankings). The funniest part of this whole thing is that we open against Oregon next season. Imagine losing that game?

But, having said that, Kirby has dealt with this kind of turnover before. It's a regular part of college football these days. Heck, Saban has gone through more than 20 coaches in through his out door. Has anyone really noticed? The Master has rarely skipped a beat. Hope Kirby does the same again this time.

We're going to be a bit porous on defense next season with all the loses of key players, but after Oregon our schedule is pretty forgiving.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

1) Saban always required his assistants to finish the season before reporting to their new assignments. 2) Lanning has been DC only 2 (?) years. He may make it at OR but it will be a bumpy ride. Yes the money is great but more seasoning would equate to a higher probability for success initially and long term. Lanning will be replaceable by Muschamp but his recruiting will be missed and may impact flips from this class. Oregon is a different place. A 35 yo guy from the midwest/southeast will find it challenging.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey MontanaDawg,

I agree with your comments, but stay tuned on the final recruiting rankings. If you look closely at the projections you will see that the likely #1 class will be Texas A&M when the smoke clears. They are putting together the best defensive class I’ve ever seen. Hopefully we can finish #1, but 2 or 3 is also a real possibility. I guess we will know a lot more on Wednesday. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    edited December 2021

Go Dawgs and good luck (Head) Coach Lanning. Thanks for being a DGD.

• Options
    adawgadawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

Who's Dan Muschamp? Never heard of him! lol

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dan Muschamp is going to take over for Will Lanning. Duh! 🤣🤣🤣

• Options

Right as I made this comment the Texas A&M head defensive coach (Mike Elkos) announced he was leaving for Duke. As I mentioned earlier, the Aggies had the best defensive recruiting class I had ever seen, but 5-6 of the top players had not committed eventhough they were “hard lean’s” according to the 247 crystal balls. Now I’m sure those leans are really confused. Hopefully we won’t lose any commits due to Dan (aka Will) leaving and I think it could have a huge impact on A&M.