Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Attention New Members:

Comments

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

LOL at the post police

• Options
    jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been a lurker here since last year but only recently started signing in. I've also downvoted people because I disagreed with something that they posted. I had NO idea it would bury a post. I thought that a downvote means you disagree.

I've downvoted and uovoted people under the same thread. A lot of sites are set up like that. I meant no harm or foul to anyone!!

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

it is a bit confusing, at least to this ancient mind, what the various options might mean. maybe we need an "I disagree" button? Maybe an "I think you're a dolt" button ? I use the UV button for something that seems kind of clever but also for something that I agree with, at times. I don't know what I'd think if I was lucky enough to get 34 DV.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2017

@Pigeons said:

@levander said:
    @pigeons That's really dumb to downvote things because you disagree with them. People have opinions. Expressing blanket disapproval just because someone disagrees with you is really dumb.

It's not dumb at all. It acts like a mini poll to show who agrees and who disagrees. At least that's how it is on every other message board. What's dumb is telling people they are dumb for having a different opinion from yours. But thanks for expressing your opinion. That's what message boards are for.

Okay, so posts where a few people disagree and click the down vote button should be buried so that we don't have to look at them.

Everyone should just make sure not to state an opinion that is a little too unpopular, or the board will discourage your participation...

The most famous down voter on this forum is Robby Nablusi. Every time you click on the down vote button, you should be asking yourself, "is down voting this post worth looking like Robby Nabulsi for?"

And every other message board on the Internet is not like that. The vast majority of Internet message boards don't even have a down vote button. Probably because way too many people click on the thing for juvenile reasons.

• Options
    edited September 2017

@12ed said:
    THREAD LOCKED

Your just lucky I didn't go into my analogies about a man being crucified not because he did something wrong. But just because his message, which most people disagreed with at the time, represented a threat to power.

• Options
    jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    Okay, so posts where a few people disagree and click the down vote button should be buried so that we don't have to look at them.

Everyone should just make sure not to state an opinion that is a little too unpopular, or the board will discourage your participation...

The most famous down voter on this forum is Robby Nablusi. Every time you click on the down vote button, you should be asking yourself, "is down voting this post worth looking like Robby Nabulsi for?"

And every other message board on the Internet is not like that. The vast majority of Internet message boards don't even have a down vote button. Probably because way too many people click on the thing for juvenile reasons.

Hey. First, I wanted to say that I do appreciate a lot of the stuff that you write on here.
    That being said, I think that you are unaware that a lot of message boards are set up to upvote and downvote at will. For example, a lot of people frequent Imgur where it is perfectly fine to upvote and downvote. In fact, it's expected. That's why I was doing so, until I came across this message. Just wanted to come to the defense of a lot of us that were not/ are not in the know.

Anyway, I love all of the dawg talk on here!!

Go DAWGS!

• Options
    SWARLES_BARKLEYSWARLES_BARKLEY Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Might be an unpopular opinion, but if we aren’t supposed to downvote don’t give us a downvote button. I’ll respect rules about downvotes the day people police the grounds on which I upvote.

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

OMG!! Is this thread still going. Geeezuss!!!

• Options
    edited September 2017

@jarred_buck said:

@levander said:

Hey. First, I wanted to say that I do appreciate a lot of the stuff that you write on here.
    That being said, I think that you are unaware that a lot of message boards are set up to upvote and downvote at will. For example, a lot of people frequent Imgur where it is perfectly fine to upvote and downvote. In fact, it's expected. That's why I was doing so, until I came across this message. Just wanted to come to the defense of a lot of us that were not/ are not in the know.

Anyway, I love all of the dawg talk on here!!

Go DAWGS!

It's not a big deal. I probably had 500 posts before I realized how **** you look here down voting here too often. And I'm sure I have plenty of embarrassing down votes if you were to dig through the board history to find them.

In my defense with the 500 posts thing. I started posting here when the board was very new and before it had started to develop a personality.

• Options

@BigDawgEatin said:
    OMG!! Is this thread still going. Geeezuss!!! ![]

Why Big Dawg? Were you hoping somebody had already started a new thread about the same thing? And the thread had split into 2?

• Options
    Hot__DawgHot__Dawg Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

My goodness, @levander . I'm pretty sure you're not Jesus. No, I'm certain. He didn't make half the noise about his actual persecution as you're making about your self-proclaimed "persecution". Even if your message gets "buried", as people have called it, the message box is still right there, with your name on it & everything. All it takes for someone to view your message is a simple tap of the thumb for your message to be displayed to them as if it had been there the whole time. Does it cost you points or something? I'm new, so I haven't checked out every bell or whistle. Is there some reward for working your way up to a SENIOR that you're desperate to achieve? Are you trying to be the Prom King? With your "everyone needs to..." post where you're trying to convince everyone that a DV makes them a Rabi Nabulsi (?) to try and shame people into never giving a Down Vote, it seems you've already appointed yourself King of the Dawgnation Forum. That wasn't good enough for you, as your next post attempted to equate giving a DV with crucifying the Son of God. That's where I spit out my coffee (not literally). I'd rather not get into it with anyone. I'm here to hang & chat/read about the Dawgs, with minimal drama unless it is the fake drama of a couple of people ribbing one another in a good natured way, but comparing your DVs to the persecution Jesus suffered is freaking insane!!! You need to check yo'self b4 you wreck yo'self.lol
    I'm not the boss of you, but I'd ask that you not attempt to be our King & that you not -- even in an offhand "I didn't even go into my analogy" (not direct quote, but close enough), way compare a DV to the fatal persecution of Christ, or anyone else. Thanks.
    My apologies to Dawgnation admin, or whomever, if you would rather I had not called another poster out for being ridiculously over-the-top and relating his plight to that of Christ. Sometimes, I feel, you have to do things you don't want to do or don't like to do because they need doing. And someone needed to say "What the Cra.p?" to that guy for his narcissistic "I am being persecuted just like Jesus" rant. That's sacrilege... or at least horribly disrespectful.

• Options

@Hot__Dawg Can you revise and pare down? I stopped reading when you said I'm not Jesus. I'm not sure where you get from me saying "analogies" to the idea that I'm saying I'm Christ. And it looks like too much of a wall of text to read when you start off that goofy.

If you'd revise and pare down a little, I'd be happy to respond.

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,173 mod

Some people have to have an Internet reputation, because that is the only reputation they have.

A tweak in the admin panel is all that is needed to not bury posts and save said posters their means of having a reputation

:)>:):)B)

• Options
    SWARLES_BARKLEYSWARLES_BARKLEY Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well this forum was good in theory. The same handful of folks always hijack discussions to have a **** waving contest instead.

I’ll check back periodically to see if it’s handled, otherwise I’ll find another place to land and talk football.

• Options
  • Options